Wiki Posts
Search

Atlanta - 10/12 what's up?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Atlanta - 10/12 what's up?

Sitting in Seattle, started boarding when they told us Atlanta was getting a snow storm and our flight was delayed 2 hours because of snow. everyone called their families, and they were saying it was only cloudy. Is this just a ground delay, or is weather really setting in?
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Sitting in Seattle, started boarding when they told us Atlanta was getting a snow storm and our flight was delayed 2 hours because of snow. everyone called their families, and they were saying it was only cloudy. Is this just a ground delay, or is weather really setting in?
Windy and a few flakes in the air, but that's about it.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

flightstats.com says it's snowing at the airport -- "ATL has issued a Ground Delay Program affecting flights arriving between 2010-12-12 15:22 and 2010-12-12 23:59 due to WEATHER / SNOW-ICE. Flights are being delayed an average of 146.0 minutes. There are 535 flights that are possibly going to be affected by this delay. "
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
My wife said ATL isn't that bad, nothing like MSP but the board in ATL shows tons of flights delayed. She is happy to be in the T SkyClub (because its her favorite) waiting for her 5:30 flight to Quito that is still showing on time. The DL elite line worked wonders this morning getting her on an earlier flight MSP-ATL so she gets back to Ecuador tonight for her last week of grad school exams.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:04 pm
Suspended

I'm on DL2100 right now (!) and we had an one hour delay due to icing. Planes had to be de-iced.
Not much of snow, just flurries. Ice is the main concern.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:06 pm

DL 1601 BOS-ATL - first delayed an hour then turned back to the gate due to further delay - ground hold from ATL.

Strange thing is that neither delta.com nor diamond desk seem aware of the problems.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Fast becoming a mess, several Cancelled flights now including some hub to hubs - my MSP flight just cancelled. About 400 or so people in line for Customer Service on the A concourse when I was down there about a half hour ago, even in the A concourse SkyClub the line for the agents stretches to the end of the club.

MSP is a big mess, moreso than ATL from what I can gather. Almost all flights are now zeroed out today/tomorrow making rebooking a mess for those impacted.

Many flights still operating on time though so seems to be random.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
The ATL-MSP I'm on right now took about a 40 minute hit out of the gate...at least we are airborne.

Long lines for de-icing; fortunately we didn't need to get sprayed down but a lot of planes did.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I am delayed in Orange County trying to make my way in to Atlanta for a connection to Orlando. So far its 2.5 hour delay. There goes my connection.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tfong007
I am delayed in Orange County trying to make my way in to Atlanta for a connection to Orlando. So far its 2.5 hour delay. There goes my connection.
Suddenly the 10:40pm LAX-MCO doesn't look like too bad a flight or option! On a more serious note, with all the delays hopefully they run a later ATL-MCO flight. Otherwise they have like hourly flights tomorrow morning
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
My Co-worker was on that flight. I was too lazy to make the trek to lax.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant

Last edited by jetta2.0t; Mar 21, 2013 at 4:34 pm
Old Dec 12, 2010, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yes, snow in ATL. Visibility was way down around noon. There was a ground stop and inbound flights were not permitted to depart until 3:45 EST. In addition, the massive snowstorm that hit the midwest is continuing to affect flights across the country. It's not only the weather in the departure/arrival cities that matters; planes/crews could be coming from all over the place.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:17 pm

It's not much of a storm, but we panic quickly down here...

Plus DL was already screwed up due to the real storm that closed MSP yesterday... Snowball effect in place!

SORRY!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Seems like DL was unprepared for this. Lots of long lines, stony faced stares from agents and bizarre explanations about weather in other places. Plat line is slammed and DL.com seems bogged down compared to other sites. As a PM, my 6:20p ATL-DCA was canceled and I was auto-rebooked via JFK tomorrow arriving DCA at 3p! There are three DCA flights I can standby for tonight. I just bought a backup OW on FL for $99 that leaves around 10. DCA weather doesn't look all that bad. Any reports?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.