Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Upgrading on Alaska Airlines as a Delta elite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
If a Delta Gold or higher you are eligible for upgrades on most AS Flights.

DL does not upgrade AS elites to Hawaii, therefore AS does not upgrade DL elites to Hawaii.

Be sure to check your PNR on alaskaair.com for seat assignments. A quick call to AS with flight # and date can yield the AS PNR. Sometimes it takes 24 hours for this info to come from DL though. Your reservation should show First Class waitlisted if it has been requested.

Upgrades on AS are after AS elites are upgraded, and although happen at T-24, can happen up to a full day earlier (T-48).

There are no complimentary upgrades on award tickets operated by Alaska.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated: Upgrading on Alaska Airlines as a Delta elite

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm not sure why this took a long time to get out in email. There is absolutely nothing new in the email. In fact, it could be a step backwards for DL elites on AS.

Free baggage for DL elites went into effect officially on March 8, 2011. Also, DL elites have been getting upgrades on AS for months now.

The thing the email does say is DL elites will be added to the upgrade list at check-in. Whereas today a DL elite can actually snag the last F seat that exists on an AS flight, if we're only added to the waitlist now then the "sneak around" loophole has gone away and AS IT fixed their issues.

-RM
Old Apr 21, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hyatt
Nice for those of us on the MSP-SEA route. As a GM, I rarely get upgraded on DL anyway, so I am happy to have add'l flight options, and still get perks and MQMs.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: Delta GM, ST E+, SPG Gold
I just received my email. As a GM, I look forward to witnessing this in my upcoming early-May trip to PDX. I'm most interested in seeing if I'm automatically placed on the upgrade list.

I'll be sure to report on my experiences.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, National EE
I recently flew AS on the LAX-PDX route. Maybe I didn't know where to look, but I never saw signs of an upgrade list. However, when I went to the kiosk at both airports and requested an upgrade, I was moved to FC immediately.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: Delta PM
I guess I just missed it? I flew SEA to SFO on Alaska metal on April 19 and was not put on the upgrade list. I had called to get my Alaska confirmation code, checked in online 24 hours before my flight with it, but was not able to request an upgrade even though there were several seats available in F. By the time I arrived from NRT and went to the gate, there were no seats left in F and the GA said she would put me on a waiting list. I ended up in Y but it was a short flight so no biggie.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 2:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.1067 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Glad to hear DL touting the partnership, but AS needs to fix the OLCI gap
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta PM (1 MM), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (Ambassador 2020-24), National Executive
Awesome news! Does Alaska offer complimentary day-of changes or priority stand-by for Delta SM customers?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: DL PM
I can't find any verbiage on the Delta website to specify whether or not Hawaii destinations with AA are included in the complimentary upgrade. This would be a great benefit if we could get that through AA since we can't through DL (if I am not mistaken).

Does anyone know if Hawaii is included?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Lifetime Plat/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PresCircle
Hawaii is NOT included, per the T&C:

Terms & Conditions
Complimentary upgrades on Alaska Airlines are only applicable for Diamond, Platinum, and Gold Medallion members of the Delta SkyMiles program. Complimentary upgrades are available only on day of departure and will be cleared at the gate after Alaska elite members. Complimentary upgrades not available on Award Tickets or for companions. Upgrades are subject to availability and may not be available on all flights or in all markets. Complimentary upgrades on Alaska Airlines are available on all domestic routes that offer U class of service. Eligible markets include routes within or between the continental US and Alaska, excluding Hawaii. Medallion members will be automatically added to the airport stand-by list and will be cleared based on status and after all Alaska MVP® & MVP Gold members have received their upgrades.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
This is nice to see it formally announced and I certainly welcome AS waiving bag fees for us. That was an odd stand out in this process.

However, I feel obligated to warn any potential AS flyers to NOT expect much in the way of upgrades. If it were like the old CO/NW arrangement of equal Elite status we'd have a chance but with us on the back of the list its going to be a rare thing. I used to fly AS semi-frequently as connections in the upper NW as a NW flyer and the upgrade success rate was about one in ten.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by the_bob123
Awesome news! Does Alaska offer complimentary day-of changes or priority stand-by for Delta SM customers?
Definitely not. You can pay $25 for a confirmed seat on an alternate flight. This option is only available after midnight on the day of departure; as opposed to 24 hours before scheduled flight time.

-RM
Old May 26, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
AA Flight Number, AS Metal, Delta PM. Possible to Upgrade?

OK, so I'm doing ANC-SEA-DFW-AUS, where ANC-SEA is an AA-coded AS flight. I'm a DL PM, and was wondering if anyone has experience with trying to upgrade an AA-coded AS flight? If so, how?

I think this would probably make the trip slightly more bearable...

TIA!!
Old May 31, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Question about Alaska and upgrades

In a couple weeks I'm flying MSP-RDU and will be joined by a friend on her way from SEA (SEA-MSP-RDU). She's Gold with Alaska, I'm PM with Delta. We want to sit together either way, whether upgraded or not, but I also want to understand how the upgrade process is going to work. If nothing changes from how it is right now, I'll surely be upgraded but no clue if she will.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Platinum_Wannabe
In a couple weeks I'm flying MSP-RDU and will be joined by a friend on her way from SEA (SEA-MSP-RDU). She's Gold with Alaska, I'm PM with Delta. We want to sit together either way, whether upgraded or not, but I also want to understand how the upgrade process is going to work. If nothing changes from how it is right now, I'll surely be upgraded but no clue if she will.
Because she's MVPG, she's eligible for an upgrade, but it will be day of departure, based on fare class, typically behind any DL elites at the same fare level.

You should be able to swap with the person next to her and enjoy your coach flight --- but that's just my experience on most DL flights as an AS elite.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Is it possible for one or the other of us to get on each other's PNR? Would be nice to get it so that we upgrade together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.