Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone know what happened to DL 680 (uio-atl) this morning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

Just wondering if anyone knows why the flight cancelled? The inbound from ATL arrived on time last night. Was the plane damaged or something? This has to impact other schedules since DL doesn't have many 73Ws, right? Any input would be appreciated! Will be interesting to see what happens tonight as there may be 2 73Ws in Quito! I wish I was still there to get a daylight pic because the plane is only usually there in the middle of the night for just over an hour.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:48 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Just wondering if anyone knows why the flight cancelled? The inbound from ATL arrived on time last night. Was the plane damaged or something? This has to impact other schedules since DL doesn't have many 73Ws, right? Any input would be appreciated! Will be interesting to see what happens tonight as there may be 2 73Ws in Quito! I wish I was still there to get a daylight pic because the plane is only usually there in the middle of the night for just over an hour.
Unrelated question, but is this trip an out and back for the cabin crew? It looks like it could be a good way to get 10+ hours.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
Unrelated question, but is this trip an out and back for the cabin crew? It looks like it could be a good way to get 10+ hours.
It is!! The same crew always works ATL-UIO, then UIO-ATL....however, the pilots have to stay in Quito and fly back the next day. The FAs that I have talked to on this flight and the GYE flight love working the route because they pick up ~11 hours and are only away from home from 5pm to 6am. Plus it is a pretty easy flight to work since the return (UIO-ATL) everyone is sleeping.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Anyone have an update or any information on if the 73W is still in Quito? Ferried somewhere? Being repaired? Just curious what the issue is...

Just noticed that there is the normal flight 680 UIO-ATL tonight (Dec 8 at 12:22am) as well as a 9856 operating UIO-ATL that is showing as delayed until 1:45am. I really wonder what is going on. Could it be that a pilot got sick or something and they had to fly another one down today? Or was it mechanical?

Last edited by GYEWorldTraveler; Dec 7, 2010 at 6:19 pm Reason: ...
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I believe it was mechanical. Not sure about the 73W still being in UIO.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Just an update. It appears that the plane that was stuck in Quito for a day made it back to ATL this morning at 6:45am as DL 9856 in revenue service. So no idea what happened to the plane but it must be OK and fixed since it is flying around.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Just an update. It appears that the plane that was stuck in Quito for a day made it back to ATL this morning at 6:45am as DL 9856 in revenue service. So no idea what happened to the plane but it must be OK and fixed since it is flying around.
Any particular reason why you are so interested? Did you have family/friends scheduled on a canceled flight?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Any particular reason why you are so interested? Did you have family/friends scheduled on a canceled flight?
Where better to get info than on FT? Someone may have been on the flight so I figured id ask.

I fly the route quite often and it amazes me how many times the flight either a) diverts b) is significantly delayed or c) makes a fuel stop---could be tied in with a

Somehow though, I have never been on a flight that has diverted or been cancelled. And my wife flies back from Quito tomorrow so I just was looking at flight status the past few days and noticed this. Kind of funny that in the past few weeks flight 673 ATL-UIO diverted to Manta, Ecuador (MEC) and flight 680 UIO-ATL has made a stop in Orlando. My wife has terrible luck flying from Quito, the last two times her flight has had to make a fuel stop in Miami. Curious to see what happens this time as she is coming back for the weekend on the 10th.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hilton
Where better to get info than on FT? Someone may have been on the flight so I figured id ask.

I fly the route quite often and it amazes me how many times the flight either a) diverts b) is significantly delayed or c) makes a fuel stop---could be tied in with a

Somehow though, I have never been on a flight that has diverted or been cancelled. And my wife flies back from Quito tomorrow so I just was looking at flight status the past few days and noticed this. Kind of funny that in the past few weeks flight 673 ATL-UIO diverted to Manta, Ecuador (MEC) and flight 680 UIO-ATL has made a stop in Orlando. My wife has terrible luck flying from Quito, the last two times her flight has had to make a fuel stop in Miami. Curious to see what happens this time as she is coming back for the weekend on the 10th.
Interesting to know why choice A or C would happen that often? I will be on those flights in February and curious why there are occasional fuel stops along the way going or coming from UIO? The 737 aircraft should be able to hold enough fuel for the trip.

As for being delayed (B), weather, etc. can play significant factor for that option.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:45 pm

Yes. DL680 info

DL680 scheduled to depart 4/29 from Quito to ATL was delayed due to an aborted take off when engine caught fire. First told it was a tire issue then told compressor issue with engine fire. All passengers sent to hotel and return this morning to the airport. Their flight is in air now departing shortly after 3pm. Unfortunately this may create havoc as connecting flights may be missed ???? My son relayed this info as he is a passenger on this flight.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
nothing like re-opening a 7-year-old thread and finding that the UIO-ATL flight number is still the same
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:14 pm

I'll bet many people who searched and found this thread (Anyone know what happened to DL 680 (uio-atl) this morning?) might not notice that it was an old thread.

Welcome to Flyertalk, Wendymae1 !
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
But something did happen to the same flight *this* morning.

We should congratulate our new member for his/her search skills.

Welcome!
Old May 1, 2018, 12:28 am

This may be a record for the longest consistent flight number ever... (or at least recent history).... for DL.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I looked at this thread b/c we're doing this flight later this year. I was shocked to see that it's the same flight number + this is an old thread!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.