Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Mine was a good deal for a trans-con FC ATL to SFO. Not unhappy with the value at 1200 dollars. I just think it is silly that Delta won't take their OWN Gift Cards while using the companion certificate. Someone already gave them 200 dollars. It's cash to Delta. It was already paid for. AMEX reimbursing them for the value of the flight isn't altered.
Having to use an Amex and no other FOPs is a well-known rule/limitation.

My guess is it's part of Amex recovering as much as it can for the cost of the certs as they maximize the transaction fee they can collect.

As others have said, still a good deal.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by gooselee
Having to use an Amex and no other FOPs is a well-known rule/limitation.

My guess is it's part of Amex recovering as much as it can for the cost of the certs as they maximize the transaction fee they can collect.

As others have said, still a good deal.
Exactly. I can’t figure out how some people can’t figure this out. It is an AMEX promotion. Why would Amex sponsor something that they don’t get obtain some revenue Not too difficult to understand. If you can plan in advance it should well pay for the cost of the Amex annual fee. Plus the other benefits.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Now that you can use RUC's on companion tickets, I guess you have to call to see what is available, book the coach ticket online, then call back to have the certs applied?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:46 am

I am tall with very long legs. To avoid extreme discomfort I pay to fly in the comfort plus seats. For the first time I am going to use a companion pass provided by American Express Platinum CC. Before I reserve I have a couple of questions. Hopefully you more experienced travelers will have the answers. From my understanding I cannot reserve main cabin seats for both myself and companion and then pay extra to upgrade to comfort plus? However, can the companion pass be used to reserve exit row seats?

I apologize if this has been discussed before; I did search both here and Google and cannot find an answer.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have any sort of DL status? Exit row seats are just preferred seats and can be chosen at purchase by DL Medallions. If not, preferred seats are available for purchase at 45 days prior to flight. Don't see why you wouldn't be able to purchase them on a companion pass as they are not a separate fare class.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
Do you have any sort of DL status? Exit row seats are just preferred seats and can be chosen at purchase by DL Medallions. If not, preferred seats are available for purchase at 45 days prior to flight. Don't see why you wouldn't be able to purchase them on a companion pass as they are not a separate fare class.
Sadly I have no status. I am a peon, I only travel for pleasure and a conference or two per year.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by jiminycricket
Sadly I have no status. I am a peon, I only travel for pleasure and a conference or two per year.
​​​​​​
I only travel for pleasure and a conference or two per year and am a Diamond (via Amex of course).
jiminycricket likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
Hadn't looked into using Skymiles for a couple of years. I'm mostly interested in rotes form Europe in C.
Seems like a disaster now:
  • Korean Air only release 1 C seat per flight
  • Aeroflot doesn't release anything longhaul
  • Can't find any availability on Aeromexico
  • Lots of phantom availability on delta.com
Is it really so bad? Are there any reasonable deals to be had from Europe using Skymiles? (By reasonable deal I mean recently updated C cabin / low miles / preferably no YQ.)
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Viks
Hadn't looked into using Skymiles for a couple of years. I'm mostly interested in rotes form Europe in C.
Seems like a disaster now:
  • Korean Air only release 1 C seat per flight
  • Aeroflot doesn't release anything longhaul
  • Can't find any availability on Aeromexico
  • Lots of phantom availability on delta.com
Is it really so bad? Are there any reasonable deals to be had from Europe using Skymiles? (By reasonable deal I mean recently updated C cabin / low miles / preferably no YQ.)
AM normally has good availability . In fact I'm flying MEX-CDG-AMS-JNB since it was easiest to get AM for the TATL. Plus no 15k additional mileage for a NON-DL TATL flight like would apply for going from/to the US.

SU has just been very recent, not sure what is going on there. They used to have great availability, although connection times/YQ weren't the greatest.

Where/when are you interested in? Also are you simply going by what delta.com shoes or by calling in?

I regularly book JNB-EUROPE-PVG OR CAN-AKL or CHC for 90k. It's a matter of knowing what cities are best.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
I was searching Aeromexico AMS-MEX and found one date, May 10 available. Better availability from MAD, but it cuts off completely after 4-5 months, is that typical for AM to release seats only for the next 4 months? I like to plan my trips further ahead.
Yes, everything isn't so bad, there seems to be reasonable availability on CI, 9W, GA and VN to Asia. Mostly searched on delta.com and called a couple times.
I'm looking for lesser known destinations which are expensive using cash but good deal with miles.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Viks
I was searching Aeromexico AMS-MEX and found one date, May 10 available. Better availability from MAD, but it cuts off completely after 4-5 months, is that typical for AM to release seats only for the next 4 months? I like to plan my trips further ahead.
Yes, everything isn't so bad, there seems to be reasonable availability on CI, 9W, GA and VN to Asia. Mostly searched on delta.com and called a couple times.
I'm looking for lesser known destinations which are expensive using cash but good deal with miles.
Not sure about AMS/MEX. I've never been able to booked it. However CDG/MEX seems to be always available when I search.

Last edited by flyerCO; Apr 30, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Old May 1, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Has anyone had any luck recently upgrading on AF from PE to J using DL miles?

I'm confused by the language on DL's site, that an UG with miles is only possible on AF/KL-operated flights when the fare class is Y, B, or M. PE wouldn't be one of those....

If it's even possible, I'm also wondering if it's better to try to book the flight and UG all at once--i.e. talking to the medallion desk--or there's no difference, and I can safely book the flight first then call DL (or AF?) later on for the UG. In other words, is inventory an issue, and something agents at DL or AF can see?
Old May 1, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Used the reserve companion certificate for HPN-ATL-EYW (Westchester - Key West) for a weekend of diving. Was good value as economy was ~$800 and first was $1000 so got both first seats for under $1100 with tax. Bonus is you can arrive at both airports about 30 minutes before departure time, so the certificate even added efficiency (compared to less-expensive itinerary options).
Old May 1, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ryanm
Has anyone had any luck recently upgrading on AF from PE to J using DL miles?

I'm confused by the language on DL's site, that an UG with miles is only possible on AF/KL-operated flights when the fare class is Y, B, or M. PE wouldn't be one of those....

If it's even possible, I'm also wondering if it's better to try to book the flight and UG all at once--i.e. talking to the medallion desk--or there's no difference, and I can safely book the flight first then call DL (or AF?) later on for the UG. In other words, is inventory an issue, and something agents at DL or AF can see?
If there is no PE cabin then once must have YBM fare to upgrade to J. If there is a PE cabin, then one must have one of the two highest PE fare classes to upgrade. Most AF flights have PE, while no KLM flight has it.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Now that you can use RUC's on companion tickets, I guess you have to call to see what is available, book the coach ticket online, then call back to have the certs applied?
Yes, that's right. Prepare yourself for very poor upgrade availability for longer flights, even if it is a long time out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.