Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by RealHJ
(bolding mine)
Sounds like you're thirsty for a pint.
It's Friday. Of course I am!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Bowgie
If it weren't posted by a FT regular, I'd never believe it! The one-way can be used to position for a current oneworld cheap biz-class from Penang to Canada.
(Check the premium class deals sub, and it's not hard to get from CMB to PEN.)
If you search YYZ-CMB on delta.com, this routing comes up quite frequently. Any routing with DL metal in it, no matter how short, comes up at at least 102.5k
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:38 pm

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Is anyone seeing AF awards for next Jan? I've been search either IAH or DTW Sto MRU via CDG, but each time I get a result at the low level (80k), the transatlantic flight is in Economy while the flight to Africa from Europe is biz
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by coltonatx
Is anyone seeing AF awards for next Jan? I've been search either IAH or DTW Sto MRU via CDG, but each time I get a result at the low level (80k), the transatlantic flight is in Economy while the flight to Africa from Europe is biz
The standard advice is to find the flights you want segment by segment (preferably try to find DTW-CDG on AF metal as opposed to DL metal), then call to piece it in. HTH

Edit to add: it appears the problem is that AF releases only 1 seat for the trans-Atlantic flights. So when you search for 2 (I am assuming you want 2 if you go to MRU), DL.com offers the transatlantic segment in Y. It may still be worth finding DL metal low level and call it in, it may or may not price at 80k.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 9:17 am

Delta Platinum AMEX Companion Certificate

I am a little confused about restrictions on Platinum AMEX Companion Certificate , it says it can only be used on L U and T fares.

Does that mean I have to fly economy and I can not pay for comfort+?

Ie purchase 1 main cabin ticket get one free then pay $50 or so plus each for comfort+?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's actually LUTXV fares now (they just haven't updated the documentation). There needs to be at least 2 seats in the fare bucket and there can be additional inventory restrictions. Unfortunately, not good for Comfort+ and you cannot purchase it for flights on/after May 16th as it is a separate fare class.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:25 am

So in a nutshell if I want to use AMEX Companion Certificate I have to fly coach or nothing...thanks
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: DL PM
If you're traveling before May 16th, you can use the AMEX certificate and select C+ seats if you have Delta status. I used my certificate to book a JFK-LAX roundtrip and as a PM was able to select C+ seats for me and my companion.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by Garavar
So in a nutshell if I want to use AMEX Companion Certificate I have to fly coach or nothing...thanks
Yes, coach or nothing after May 16, 2016. And no paying for C+, which seems a bit odd as you'll be on the plane anyway and they are trying to sell the C+ seats so why not allow them to be sold to elites? I've given up trying to figure out the motivations for some of DL moves. I booked a DTW-SJC R/T in June with the AMEX Companion Cert. They did allow me (as a DL DM) to grab exit row seats for free. Better than nothing.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:43 am

There are all kinds of funny situations that did not arise before due to the C+ designation and rules. I bought an international flight ticket and used miles for my family's tix. I was able to get Comfort Plus on the international legs but not on the domestic for them.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Garavar
C+ is still coach. It's not like we're talking a premium economy here. If you are booking flights after May 16th, you should still be able to find exit row seats together (which generally have more legroom than C+).
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by LBJ
C+ is still coach. It's not like we're talking a premium economy here. If you are booking flights after May 16th, you should still be able to find exit row seats together (which generally have more legroom than C+).
I called in as a hypothetical to ask about this a few months ago while I still haven't actually booked. The agent I spoke with was under the impression that after booking (as PM or DM) you could move once the assignment stuck and the seats would be available to you normally as part of the benefit. She didn't seem entirely sure but it's worth calling and asking about moving up which is what I plan to do once I use my cert this year.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:59 pm

Okay so Delta Platinum Amex is out, we only fly First or Comfort +. I already have Unbranded Platinum Amex so I dont see value in Reserve....

Side question, with Gold Delta Amex you receive a $50 statement credit if you make a "delta purchase" within 3 months. Does that include purchasing a gift certificate for $50 (like it does with Platinum Amex)? or do you have to buy a flight?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BHArt
I called in as a hypothetical to ask about this a few months ago while I still haven't actually booked. The agent I spoke with was under the impression that after booking (as PM or DM) you could move once the assignment stuck and the seats would be available to you normally as part of the benefit. She didn't seem entirely sure but it's worth calling and asking about moving up which is what I plan to do once I use my cert this year.
You can't. Its treated as a different 'class' now, so would be like trying to assign a first class seat from a coach ticket. System blocks it and blocks getting on the 'upgrade' list. Only shot is at the gate, if by some miracle there are any C+ seats left and the GA knows how and will manually force it there.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rylan
You can't. Its treated as a different 'class' now, so would be like trying to assign a first class seat from a coach ticket. System blocks it and blocks getting on the 'upgrade' list. Only shot is at the gate, if by some miracle there are any C+ seats left and the GA knows how and will manually force it there.
+1
Comfort plus is "an upgrade" as of May 16. You will book coach and after you buy the ticket, you will be put on an upgrade list for comfort plus (if you are Platinum or Diamond). No companion upgrades. It will be just like getting an upgrade to first in the current system, except it will happen immediately, if there is space available (in W class). Amex companion tickets will be inhibited from upgrades to comfort Plus, the same way that they are inhibited from first class upgrades. I have already booked a number of reservations beyond May 15, and most have cleared to "W" immediately. Some have not and I have had to call in to get them on the list. (You and also control this from delta.com). It will be interesting to see how it goes in the long run. I expect "issues". Maybe in the future Delta and Amex will include a middle class of service in "W", but I doubt it. It's the same way with Sky Miles tickets as far
as the different booking class. As some people have pointed out, Comfort Plus Sky Miles free tickets are darn near the same mileage requirement as first class Sky Miles tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.