Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by StangGT909
I was looking to fly to Florida in April and trying multiple dates and multiple airports, all full.

What the heck Delta??

I guess you're not the only one.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta, aa, united silver
Companion or principal doesn’t fly return

Hi - sorry if this isn’t the right place for this question but I couldn’t find another thread.

if we book using amex companion certificate and for whatever reason one of the parties doesn’t make the return but has to book a new trip to another destination, does that cause any problem? Not planning this but plans can change, especially these days. Looking at using the F certificate if that matters. And does it matter if the primary traveler or companion has to miss flight due to travel changes to another delta flight? Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Roadbob
Hi - sorry if this isn’t the right place for this question but I couldn’t find another thread.

if we book using amex companion certificate and for whatever reason one of the parties doesn’t make the return but has to book a new trip to another destination, does that cause any problem? Not planning this but plans can change, especially these days. Looking at using the F certificate if that matters. And does it matter if the primary traveler or companion has to miss flight due to travel changes to another delta flight? Thanks
They can split the PNR, with the result that the primary can fly without the companion, but not vice versa. Note that you can book either party as the primary (but the primary is the only one that will earn MQMs/MQDs)

This thread has some DPs from as recently as 2021: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...solidated.html

(and there are other posts linked in post #38 there)
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Are we allowed to cancel a trip, using the DL Comp Cert, within the 24 hour risk free cancellation period, and get the comp cert back? All that I see about canceling a Comp cert says they will not be reissued. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by jtrue28
Are we allowed to cancel a trip, using the DL Comp Cert, within the 24 hour risk free cancellation period, and get the comp cert back? All that I see about canceling a Comp cert says they will not be reissued. Thanks in advance!
It’s been a few years, but I’ve been able to do this in the past only by phone. I don’t think it can be done online, and I didn’t try Twitter/texting.
jtrue28 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I was able to make changes (time and destination) to a reservation with Companion Certificate last month.
rashodw likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:59 am

Does Delta allow flight modifications (ie, flight times changes) for tickets booked with Delta companion certificate (outside of 24 hours risk-free cancellation window)?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mochi0172
Does Delta allow flight modifications (ie, flight times changes) for tickets booked with Delta companion certificate (outside of 24 hours risk-free cancellation window)?
Yes (see post above yours)-- https://www.delta.com/us/en/booking-...n-certificates

"If the primary ticket and Companion ticket are changed after issuance, subject to the fare rules of the primary ticket, there will be a charge for the fare difference of the primary ticket. Changes are subject to the rules of the fare purchased and are subject to seat availability. After travel has commenced, rerouting is not permitted."

You'll need booking inventory availability in designated classes for certs for new flights (LUTXV coach classes for Plat certs).
Old Feb 24, 2022, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Yes (see post above yours)-- https://www.delta.com/us/en/booking-...n-certificates

"If the primary ticket and Companion ticket are changed after issuance, subject to the fare rules of the primary ticket, there will be a charge for the fare difference of the primary ticket. Changes are subject to the rules of the fare purchased and are subject to seat availability. After travel has commenced, rerouting is not permitted."

You'll need booking inventory availability in designated classes for certs for new flights (LUTXV coach classes for Plat certs).
Thank you! Does Delta still charge a fee for changes?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mochi0172
Thank you! Does Delta still charge a fee for changes?
No, change fees have been dropped for all but Basic Economy fares (for tickets originating in North America region).
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:52 am

I'm a novice companion certificate user and hoping some may know the answer to my question. We are hoping to travel next holiday season but not on the most popular days. Our flight on 12/28 doesn't have a fare class eligible for companion pass use. Is it likely or even possible that additional tickets could be added to a fare class eligible for companion class usage?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes. That's a long way away.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gtg970g
I'm a novice companion certificate user and hoping some may know the answer to my question. We are hoping to travel next holiday season but not on the most popular days. Our flight on 12/28 doesn't have a fare class eligible for companion pass use. Is it likely or even possible that additional tickets could be added to a fare class eligible for companion class usage?
I would consider 12/28 as a fairly popular day (many routes have fare surcharges on most days around the holidays with the exception of 12/19 and 12/25). Looking at ATL-LAX as an example, the only days I see with inventory in LUTXV classes for certs between 12/22 and 1/1 are 12/24-25 and 12/31 and would consider those to be less popular travel days during that period.
pgh234 and gtg970g like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I've been looking for inventory to open up on Memorial Day weekend, and nothing has come up for my routes. I am probably just going to buy the tickets. I have four companion certs, very real chance all four expire without use given how hard they are to use,
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Companion Certificate terms say you can use it for a W fare (i.e. DeltaComfort). I am looking at a number of flights that has W available, but it is saying NOT AVAILABLE.

I've always used the reserve companion pass for either First (Z / I) or Coach since I get the DeltaComfort for free. But the First Class (Z, I) and Coach required inventories (L,U,T,X,V) are sold out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.