Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clearing Customs Is A Joke At ATL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Clearing Customs Is A Joke At ATL

Flew from SCL-ATL-DTW this Saturday night/Sunday morning after a quick trip to South America. After landing in ATL at 6:05 a.m. on Sunday, I missed my 7:25 connection to DTW. Delta does absolutely nothing for elites flying international (no segment upgrades, etc.) could they at least create a Sky Priority line after clearing immigration/customs for when you have to go through security for domestic connections? There is a huge rush of connecting flyers from Tel Aviv, Sao Paulo, Santiago, Buenos Aires, etc. all at the same time. I had to wait in a 700+ person deep security line after customs, and missed my connection despite running like a bat out of hell. When I asked the Delta people on the ground why they didn't have a Sky Priority line they said "because the government controls security"--hmm doesn't the government control security everywhere? How is this any different?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
Flew from SCL-ATL-DTW this Saturday night/Sunday morning after a quick trip to South America. After landing in ATL at 6:05 a.m. on Sunday, I missed my 7:25 connection to DTW. Delta does absolutely nothing for elites flying international (no segment upgrades, etc.) could they at least create a Sky Priority line after clearing immigration/customs for when you have to go through security for domestic connections? There is a huge rush of connecting flyers from Tel Aviv, Sao Paulo, Santiago, Buenos Aires, etc. all at the same time. I had to wait in a 700+ person deep security line after customs, and missed my connection despite running like a bat out of hell. When I asked the Delta people on the ground why they didn't have a Sky Priority line they said "because the government controls security"--hmm doesn't the government control security everywhere? How is this any different?
I agree there should be an elite security lane but 1 hr 20 minute connection from an International flight? You will maybe make that connection 20% of the time at Atlanta. There are a number of flights that arrive at 6am and customs is a mess in Atlanta at that hour. I have learned to schedule myself for the 8, 9 or 10am block when arriving at 6am in ATL. You also get to enjoy the SkyClub when you do this. For example, tonight I fly UIO-ATL and I arrive in ATL at 5:50am, I could have scheduled myself for a 7:15 connection but I opted for the 8:30 connection because I don't want to misconnect. The first flight of the day rarely leaves late so it isn't smart to schedule such a tight connection. If you really want that 7am flight, after you clear customs, SDC onto it from the 8:30 flight. I do this occassionally as well. Let this be a lesson to you. I have learned the hard way as well but Customs in ATL suck. Your two options are A) Purchase Global Entry and you will pass in ~1 minute or B) Schedule the later flight, if by chance you arrive early SDC to the earlier flight or enjoy the SkyClub
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Flew from SCL-ATL-DTW this Saturday night/Sunday morning after a quick trip to South America. After landing in ATL at 6:05 a.m. on Sunday, I missed my 7:25 connection to DTW. Delta does absolutely nothing for elites flying international (no segment upgrades, etc.) could they at least create a Sky Priority line after clearing immigration/customs for when you have to go through security for domestic connections?
I am surprised that you ran into a problem. I also land at the same time and I found that as a Platinum my bags are among the first off the carousel -- and that is the big hold up.

If your bags are among the later ones (as happened to me before I became PM), then hundreds get into the TSA line before you and you are almost certain to miss a close connection. If, however, you get your bags quickly you will get onto an almost empty TSA line (TSA doesn't even start working until 6 am).
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:17 pm

Honestly it's a two hour minimum at that airport for the mess. As for Delta doing something... 1. It's Atlanta where the "elite" lines are generally LONGER then the normal lines (I no longer bother to go to the "sky priority" screening, the main screening is faster) 2. There are "physical limitations in that space" sad but true. 3. While DL has an elite line at ATL ,if you ask the TSA "anyone can use it" so......
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:17 pm

could they at least create a Sky Priority line after clearing immigration/customs for when you have to go through security for domestic connections? There is a huge rush of connecting flyers from Tel Aviv, Sao Paulo, Santiago, Buenos Aires, etc. all at the same time. I had to wait in a 700+ person deep security line after customs
+1. I had a similiar experience on the GRU-ATL flight last month. It took roughly 45 min to pass through Passport Control/Immigration (at a line of 300-400+) then quickly through Customs I encountered the security line at easily 700+ persons and no Skypriority line. It took me nearly an additional 1.5 hr just to clear security. Thankfully, I did not initially book the first connecting flight to my final destination as I would have misconnected and later flights sold out. With the DL introduction of DTW-GRU-DTW, I think I will give DTW a try as an exit/entry point. Surely, it will be better than JFK or ATL.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by gsorob
I think I will give DTW a try as an exit/entry point. Surely, it will be better than JFK or ATL.
It's been a while but every time I've been through DTW I've been happy...the airport was designed for international connections/exit-entry control...seems to be a much smoother process (but then everything seems to be smoother there than at JFK/ATL)

Last edited by thezipper; Nov 30, 2010 at 10:19 am Reason: clean up quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:36 pm

Airlines can't do a whole lot about CBP. That's who is in charge of Immigration and Customs. However, the security recheck is TSA. They work extensively with the airlines for line setup and and staffing. Generally the only thing needed for an elite line is money to staff it and agreement between the airline(s) and the airport authority.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:42 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
As a local, my biggest beef is that we have to wait in line and go through security again just to get out of the airport

The new international terminal will be completed in the spring of 2012!!
I can hardly wait!
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by socrates
It's been a while but every time I've been through DTW I've been happy...the airport was designed for international connections/exit-entry control...seems to be a much smoother process (but then everything seems to be smoother there than at JFK/ATL)
I'm happy that you're happy with DTW but I'm not. IMO, absolutely the worst airport for reentry. Two flights entering at once and suddenly we have a problem. OP, I think you saw ATL on it's worst day. I've come in early quite a few times and was surprised to not be delayed. Really though, no airport can handle things when it's gets busy. I take it back, DTW is not the worst, Dulles is. Sorry....
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Tomphot
As a local, my biggest beef is that we have to wait in line and go through security again just to get out of the airport

I can hardly wait!
Mine to. What will change with the new terminal?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Tomphot

I can hardly wait!
+1 And I would doubt any changes will be made to the existing process until that new terminal opens. However its gate capacity is far below DL's volume of international flights, so the old terminal will remain in use.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
I'm happy that you're happy with DTW but I'm not. IMO, absolutely the worst airport for reentry. Two flights entering at once and suddenly we have a problem. OP, I think you saw ATL on it's worst day. I've come in early quite a few times and was surprised to not be delayed. Really though, no airport can handle things when it's gets busy. I take it back, DTW is not the worst, Dulles is. Sorry....
You gott'a be kidding. DTW is the only airport where I have gone from plane to lounge (with full bag re-check) in 15 minutes. The airport has been very good to me over the years. On the other hand ATL, EWR, and ORD. That's another story.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:00 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
However its gate capacity is far below DL's volume of international flights, so the old terminal will remain in use.
I didn't realize that - So is there going to be 2 sets of gov't employees staffing a customs area or will they bus the overflow over to Term-F?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:00 pm

Was your Global Entry application declined? Sorry, but very hard to offer sympathy to somebody that elects to wait in line at a facility that offers Global Entry, which Atlanta does I believe.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Was your Global Entry application declined? Sorry, but very hard to offer sympathy to somebody that elects to wait in line at a facility that offers Global Entry, which Atlanta does I believe.
Sorry, but paying $100 to the U.S. Gov't for the privilege of giving them my biometric information (that they can share with almost anyone they please, if you read the fine print), just to skip the customs/immigration line is NOT going to help the TSA re-entry checkpoint problem at ATL when it's hundreds of people deep all coming off international flights, many of which may simply just be staying in ATL.

DTW, MSP, and other airports have the advantage of a separate exit for people who the international arrival point is their final destination. At ATL, everyone goes back through TSA, whether staying in ATL or continuing onward. Simply brilliant design.

Oh, I know, the brand new terminal will alleviate that. Just gotta hope the dice roll your way and your flight comes in at the new terminal, because the old terminal and it's problems (like seriously, a power outage?!) will still exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.