Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFk-LAX BE upgrade clearing in advance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
JFk-LAX BE upgrade clearing in advance

I know that the JFK-LAX/SFO flights upgrades have always cleared at the gate, even when a ton of BE seats were open...

So, happy to report that my flight Saturday cleared a Medallion upgrade today, in advance. Flight was J6Y9 yesterday (although the exit rows were almost all open).

Not sure if this is the start of a trend (which would be a positive, at least for PM/DM on high fares) or just a holiday weekend aberation.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Wow, that's cool.

By any chance was there an equip swap to a non-BE configured plane?

-RM
Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I would guess its just a Thanksgiving present.. Loads are light over Friday and Saturday...
Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I will add that I have ONCE cleared (out of 30+ flights) in advance since the full BE service was implemented, and it was in no particular window (3 days before flight). This was about 6 months ago.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Jackpot! Congrats!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by flightattendantsteve
I would guess its just a Thanksgiving present.. Loads are light over Friday and Saturday...
And many medallions are staying home. I'm transiting MEM tomorrow, and I'm sure if they had GIDS that it would be a sea of standby upgrades available for sale......

David
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
Originally Posted by DiverDave
And many medallions are staying home. I'm transiting MEM tomorrow, and I'm sure if they had GIDS that it would be a sea of standby upgrades available for sale......

David
GIDS was recently installed in MEM
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
More info, please?

Would the OP mind posting fare class booked? It may provide more insight for all.

Congrats on the earlier than usual (usual = gate lottery) upgrade! Well done!

PS: Play the lottery ASAP using some numbers from your flight/PNR/date/seat. If you win, you can buy me a few mileage runs.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by pagotto
Not sure if this is the start of a trend (which would be a positive, at least for PM/DM on high fares) or just a holiday weekend aberation.
I would disagree, this is a NEGATIVE trend. At the gate protects as many upgrades as possible but also the walk up purchase or paid J changes which are what pay for this route.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:53 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I tend to agree -- part of the benefit of paying a premium fare is the flexibility to change plans easily. But sounds lIke this is an abberation due to light loads. Theres also been a rogue 24 seated floating around over the last week.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
ODL....

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer;15288728 I tend to agree -- part of the benefit of paying a premium fare is the flexibility to change plans easily. But sounds lIke this is an abberation due to light loads. Theres also been a [B
rogue [/B] 24 seated floating around over the last week.
Delta's gone ROGUE! Perhaps its the SLC - ANC plane trying to re-base itself in a blue state?

(Regardless of where anyone is on the political scale, please let this one go as a little FT/Delta humor. Also, not sure if ODL is a new acronym or not;
ODL = Oh Deah Lawd.)
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:04 pm

I cleared in advance too for the LAX-JFK redeye tomorrow night. Was kind of a surprised but I believe it's the light loads in premium cabin over the next 2 days.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Interesting to see if it keeps up after the holiday...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:50 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I suspect this is just load projections over the holiday. My one transcon BE upgrade that cleared at the window was over NYE.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Crackerpup
Would the OP mind posting fare class booked? It may provide more insight for all.

Congrats on the earlier than usual (usual = gate lottery) upgrade! Well done!

PS: Play the lottery ASAP using some numbers from your flight/PNR/date/seat. If you win, you can buy me a few mileage runs.
I'm booked in M

While I realize they hold back the seats normally, and some like it that way, I think a nice compromise would be on flights where they have let's say more than 8 seats unsold at the window, to clear PM/DMs in limited quantities down to 8 or 10 seats. I've just seen a number of cases where literally every Medallion clears (especially on SFO-JFK) but they wait until 30 minutes prior to departure to clear the UG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.