Wiki Posts
Search

New Boarding Pass Design

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
New Boarding Pass Design

What are some new things you would like to see on a boarding pass and/or current things changed? PMNW multi segment boaring passes should be making a comeback very soon.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
* multi-segment on one BP
* clearly readable BP how NW was (no more tiny size courier fonts as DL has it)
* flight arrival time for each flight, in addition to departure time and accurate boarding time (this is #1, at least for me)
* flight duration (would be really nice and handy to have, save manual calculations due to time zone differences)
* time zone in arrival and departure city of each segment (would be really nice and handy to have, save manual calculations due to time zone differences), also shown in GMT-/+xxxx relative terms (again, making it so easy to adjust for that and know how many hours adjustment + or - it is also)
* no unprofessional, cheap looking ads on BP
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
Already stated:
* multi-segment on one BP (Which you say is coming shortly)
* flight arrival time for each flight, in addition to departure time and accurate boarding time
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by RealHJ
* flight arrival time for each flight, in addition to departure time and accurate boarding time (this is #1, at least for me)
* flight duration (would be really nice and handy to have, save manual calculations due to time zone differences)
* time zone in arrival and departure city of each segment (would be really nice and handy to have, save manual calculations due to time zone differences), also shown in GMT-/+xxxx relative terms (again, making it so easy to adjust for that and know how many hours adjustment + or - it is also)
That'd work just fine for me.

I'd really have no issues with the old NW BP styles coming back. Could help alleviate some issues. For example, right now the seat number is awfully large. Not a big issue for those that fly every week and no the BPs well, but last week I was flying with someone who travels 1-2x a year. Her seat was 2C. As we were walking down the F Concourse at MSP, she asked me where we were going and I said our gate. She said isn't it C2? It hurt me to say no, that's your seat assignment.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
Thumbs up

YES PLEASE to multi segment boarding passes... also the 'board/depart/arrive' times would be great, though I wouldn't be surprised if they were omitted intentionally.

Some designers have been playing with boarding passes recently - check this out:

http://passfail.squarespace.com/

Comments also make some good reading; apparently thermal printers are the big limitation in some of these designs...
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
The boarding zone in huge type, ala AA.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:25 pm

It's a boarding pass, not an itinerary.

Keep it simple. Flight, gate, time.

The layout and size of the type could be improved.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Flight arrival time is huge for me. I hate having to fire up my phone/laptop to figure out what time I'm supposed to land and how much time I have to make it from gate to gate.

Otherwise, I liked the multi-segment BPs. Less paper to worry about losing.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
The Letters DYKWIA

for diamonds and plats
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:17 pm

It might be interesting to know if there are TSA requirements on BP design.

Since they are asking us I would assume they want to make it easier for the Passenger. That being said, I'm using the 60/40 rule. 60% of your load is leisure and non-frequent passengers. They don't know exactly what they are doing.

From a technical perspective I've always wondered if one of the reasons the BPs look so goofy is because the master template is designed around a bar code language like ZPL II.

* That being said, structure of information should be in the order that a passenger needs it. What's first? Gate. Do gates change? Yes, make sure to tell the passenger that CLEARLY. What time do I need to be at the gate (Boarding time). Then it's Flight number, city pairs, boarding zone, seats and finally Arrival time.

* Unless there is a reason to display the name with the slash (/) display them in the traditional PGMiSGq format.

* Everything the passengers needs to know should be in nice large fonts.

* Avoid color backgrounds and use high contrast B&W to help passengers with poor eyesight.

* The things that are smaller print should be things only a TA, GA or frequent flyer would want to look at.

* Don't get "cute" with the design. Less is often more.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
+1

I recently had a two segment flight, printed my BP one piece of paper (two sided) and the TSA "expert" that looked at it thought I was at the wrong airport because he wasn't looking at the right side.

Putting all of the flights on one piece of paper solves this problem -- and saves some trees.

I could care about having a Sudoka that's too small to even read and if I need a map of a hub airport I can look at the mag on the plane.

Bob H
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
The boarding zone in huge type, ala AA.
+1

Not sure that would eliminate issues with gate lice or those who do not seem to understand that there are ZONES and Zone 4 is not the same as Zone 1. Of course, if it was enforced more often...
Old Nov 22, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
They should NOT put arrival times on boarding passes (and they won't) because there is always going to be a group of morons that will get confused by the the additional time on the BP and think that was their departure time.

Especially on flights like ATL-BNA where you can depart at 11AM and arrive at 1115AM.

I can hear it now: "DL Sucks...I missed my flight because I'm a dumb$$$ and thought the arrival time was the departure time. It's not my fault. I'm going to open a new thread on FT so I can complain that DL didn't give me $500 for my screw-up"
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k
For BPs printed at OLCI, have each segment comfortably fit in 1/3 of a page so that I can tri-fold it to put in my pocket. It looks as if this was already done (at least for 1 BP per page) in the last month or so since my BPs for today's flights fit perfectly.^
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
I could live with the current BP, but some of those I could be happy with. The multi-segment BP would be actually a nuisance to me and I'm sure GA's because of multiple barcodes, figuring out which one to scan, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.