Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FC sense of entitlement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by ratey03
Flying from DTW to RSW, My father and I arrive at the gate about the time zone 4 was beginning to board. There was a huge gaggle on the general boarding line side, and even though I don't always like to I was tired and wanted to sit down, so I walked up to the SP side. The gate agent said (very loudly) "Wait a minute Zone 4, I have to take care of my ELITE passengers first, they're late and can board anytime". All I said to her after she scanned our tix was "thanks" with a smile, but really? Has anyone had that problem using the carpet once boarding has begun where gate agents just give you crap for using a clearly published FF perk?
I have used the SP lane many times when I am late from the Skyclub or from an arriving flight.
But most GA's are very respectful and have always welcome me with kind words ... of course I always say Thanks for the work they do for us travelling pax, and wish them all the best for the day or the week or the weekend ... and move on to board the aircraft.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by javabytes

And it always makes me chuckle, walking up to the carpet during general boarding and hearing muttered comments about "cutting in line" from whoever the GA told to wait while he/she motioned for my BP.
Now that we can board with a SkyMiles card, it is sure to confuse some of the casual fliers. What would a vacationer think if they saw you walk up to the front of the line, open up your wallet, reach in and then hand the GA a card to scan and voila - beep beep - you board. No BC in hand.

Tell 'em you are Dalton Delta The Third; or Miles Suzerain Hughes, the great grand nephew of Howard; or just wear some tags around your neck and 1 too many carry on bags attached to your roll-aboard (Shena!); or, if you keep your hair cut short and wear mirrored sunglasses and a sport coat and slacks (most effective if you get seat 2B).
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Each of these threads typically includes a post from at least one professional pilot stating, in effect "I know it can be a problem, because I have see the sort of problems it can cause." What always amazes me is the state of denial that the "it can't be a problem because that would be inconvenient for me" types exhibit when they ignore what these pilots have to say on the topic.
^ For a while I thought my post was invisible...especially when some add to the thread stating such as electronics have no impact at all etc. For the most part they're right, there's no impact. However, as I wrote in my previous post in this thread, they absolutely can have an impact. While the impact is generally insignificant the impact can certainly be extremely severe given particular circumstances.

Some may say that, yes electronics have an effect but nothing truly bad is ever going to happen etc etc etc. Well it all comes down to the circumstances of the event at hand. One can argue that the chain of events leading to a significant event is unrealistically long in order for things to go wrong due to an electronic device. Possibly; however that does not mean an event will not happen it only means that the chances of it occurring are that much more remote. If a person left their house a 20 seconds earlier or 20 seconds later they could have avoided the bus that lost it's brakes and T-boned them in an intersection killing them instantly: it all comes down to the individual event's circumstances.

Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
You really believe this nonsense? We're all one turned-on BlackBerry away from meeting our ultimate demise?
I'm not saying that electronics are a smoking gun or a ticking time bomb towards an accident but the fact is that electronics certainly can, and do, have an affect on operations even if it's minuscule. As cmn.jcs pointed out re: my post in this thread, the circumstances were such that no significant threat to safety occurred (on my flight anyway, slightly more significant on the LearJet as it affected the ILS, given it was VMC but in saturated airspace). Had the circumstances been different then perhaps safety could have been threatened. My point again is: If they're supposed to be off, switch 'em off and only use them when, and in the capacity in which they are allowed.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Bicostal

But what is most remarkable is absent a rule, civility is marginally observed by many. And, moreover, the indignation of some who behave boorishly when they believe others are doing so. The "excuse me, but would you mind..." is civil, whereas the "I guess the no electronics rule doesn't apply to you" might be boorish?
Well put. And disheartening....
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Anyone that ever goes to ATlanta needs to check out the world of Coke. The have fountains with practically any coke producdt in the world you can sample. They had one drink (can't remember if it was a fanta product or not) from Germany that was NASTY, remainded me of drinking cough syrup it made orange fanta taste good

Ah my dear, what you are referring to is the product from ITALY - the BEverly. It's world famous for how disgusting it is! My faves (in small doses only) are the Bebo Pine Nut (South Africa) and Inca Cola (Peru). I excitedly bought a bottle when in Peru and quickly realized I couldn't stomach the whole thing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.