Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FC sense of entitlement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Now you have done it! Prompted another round of responses from the self-absorbed "that rule doesn't apply to me because I am smarter than the person who made up the rule, and it's not a safety issue anyway" crowd.

On my last trip, after the "turn off anything with a switch" message had been repeated several times, and after watching the fellow in the window seat pull his Blackberry out of his pocket and fiddle with it several times during the taxi out:

Me: "I guess the no electronics rule doesn't apply to you."

Mr. Self-absorbed: <condescending snort, then holds B'berry up so I can see it as he turns it off> "Is that OK now?"

Me: "Yes... it shows that you can follow instructions."

Mr. Self-absorbed: "Did I do something to you?"

Me: "Yes. You jeopardized my safety for your own self-convenience."

Mr. Self-absorbed: no response... maybe he was brighter than he first appeared to be.

OK... you excessively entitled folks can flame away now...
After a similar conversation explaining to Mr. I-Don't-Care that these were the rules, he said, "Well you must be an engineer"

o.k., I assume his thought was that only engineers follow rules, or am I missing something?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Mr 7D's brother was on DL 2455 last night in 3E. While boarding he blocked the starboard aisle on the 763 for a good 4 or 5 minutes, digging around in his oversized rollaboard for his earbuds. After finally plopping down he immediately pulls out a styrofoam container of the smelliest chinese food I've encountered in some time. Wolfed that down while flicking grains of rice on the floor (and passing pax boarding the plane). Spent most of the flight clearing his sinuses into cocktail napkins and trying to hand them to the FAs, who didn't want them. It would have been funny if I hadn't been in 3D...

Edited to add: I know his behavior was not necessarily "entitled". More "boorish". Since I can be "boorish" myself on occasion, I felt "entitled" to post about it.

Last edited by dd992emo; Nov 1, 2010 at 11:29 am
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: UA, CO, AA
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
About as much as the guy I frequently see in the Star Alliance Lounge at LHR who pounds Chardonnay & Fanta.
what the heck is fanta?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
I am tired of hearing, "Me" and "MR".

When is the next show, oops I mean flight? I want to be there to see it. It better be you and 'her'.

Pre-flight rumble!! (flashing lights and heavy beat music) In matter fact I want to see a 'her' on 'her' show with their crackberry or iphone talking about their shoes or great sales or even better hear the drama.

If they are texting, I expect full cliff notes of the chat, so I can read it. As I am eating my DL snacks, sitting in my blue leather seat with a broken table and pen marks along the backside of the seat in front me.

Last edited by BondAir007; Nov 1, 2010 at 5:45 pm
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
but...but...but...but if they follow that rule that I would not have been so enthralled in FC last Thursday from SEA-JFK listening to Mr. Row 7 trying to close a HALF BILLION dollar deal
If you are where the twit can see you, pull out a notepad and start taking copious notes, looking frequently in his direction. Then, say "I'm sorry. I didn't get that last part. Could you please repeat that?"
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
but...but...but...but if they follow that rule that I would not have been so enthralled in FC last Thursday from SEA-JFK listening to Mr. Row 7 trying to close a HALF BILLION dollar deal
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
If you are where the twit can see you, pull out a notepad and start taking copious notes, looking frequently in his direction. Then, say "I'm sorry. I didn't get that last part. Could you please repeat that?"
And don't forget to remind him that you work for a COMPETITOR!
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Stripe
Boorish behavior is not limited to any particular class of travel, although IME it's MORE likely to be seen in F. On two flights yesterday I had to fight to keep my seatmate from encroaching into my space. I'm not talking about hogging the armrest. That was a lost cause. I'm talking about elbows extending over the armrest (this is in mainline F), feet spread into my space, and holding a laptop up so it's literally a couple of inches from my face. A few well placed elbows and comments on my part helped but it was an ongoing battle.
I think the resaons it's MORE likely to be seen in F is "concentration" of entitlement.

in the back the "elite" are mixed in with everyone else so it's not as "concentrated" that you are sitting with the "special". Unless you get "lucky" enough to Mr "I was deined an upgrade and am going to take it out one EVERYONE on the plane" (picture your two year old being told "no" with the ability to curse like a sailor!)

I have quit using my Platinum luggage tag and won't put on the Diamond when it arrives. I know the FA KNOWS but I don't want random employees and passengers to think I am one of "them"

I have started counting carryons and saying "Gee I didn't know you had an 'extra' bag exemption" (Yes ladies, a purse is NOT a free third bag!)
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jeff30189
Yes, I'm talking to many of you reading this. A large percentage of this board is made up of frequent and elite members of various airline programs, so we all fly enough to know that the rules are.

DL 1915 last night (ATL-PHX), Mister 7D end-runs the gate lice to plant himself on the edge of the SP carpet with his 3 carryons. Surely the GA and/or FA will say something. Nope. To make things worse, he puts all three up in the overhead bin so that his feet have plenty of unimpeded space under the seat in front of him.

And what part of "electronic devices should be turned off" is the most confusing? It's not a request for only non-FC passengers and MMers aren't exempt. Turn off your damn crackberry, and don't think you're being cute when you secretly turn it back on.

Finally, the preflight drink is not a God-given right. If you need two vodka frescas that badly before takeoff, perhaps you should have booked 2B instead of 7B, or followed Mister 7D when he pushed ahead of everyone else.

I can understand when the Kettles back in coach dont get with the programs, but if you're sitting up in FC you've flown enough to know better.
Whats the problem? It does not sound like he actually hurt anyone in the process (though as a DM he is allowed 3 injury causing maneuvers) and as a DM he did have the option of walking on the backs of lessor status members all the way down the Jet Bridge. He clearly had enough compassion for the lower ranks to not demand the "Carpet of FO's" and It does not sound like he invoked his ability to order lessor status members to get his drink and blow the trumpets when he is ready to make his way to the lav.

What am I missing?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BondAir007
I am tired of hearing, "Me" and "MR".

When is the next show, oops I mean flight? I want to be there to see it. It better be you and 'her'.

Pre-flight rumble!! (flashing lights and heavy beat music) In matter fact I want to see a 'her' on 'her' show with their crackberry or iphone talking about their shoes or great sales or even better hear the drama.

If they are texting, I expect full cliff notes of the chat, so I can read it as I am eating my DL snacks, seating in my blue leather seat with broken table and pen marks along the backside of the seat in front me.
Are you suggesting that when it's a "her", she is necessarily talking about shoes and sales rather than half-billion dollar deals? And, if so, is this worse that talking cars and sports when cell phones should be off?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DLNYC
What do you expect from someone who orders a vodka freca?
It's a drink I order sometimes and make at home, actually thanks to Delta A while back (maybe like four or five years ago) they had a drink in the magazine back whent they were doing the special shaker drinks called something like a citrus splash, that was Fresca and Mango vodka. I make that at home when I have fresca (I always have mango vodka), but unfortunately Delta only had the mango vodka for that short period, regular vodka works but mango flavored is a lot better.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by cotter77
what the heck is fanta?
Orange or grape?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jeff30189
Finally, the preflight drink is not a God-given right. If you need two vodka frescas that badly before takeoff, perhaps you should have booked 2B instead of 7B, or followed Mister 7D when he pushed ahead of everyone else.
While I don't fly in F a lot, it seems like the majority of time leaving from DTW on Delta you don't even get offered a preflight drink, just the bottled water. I flew DTW to LAS friday night in 2C and no one was offered a preflight drink. I can't remember the last time leaving DTW I was offered one. Coming back last night from LAS was another story, the FA was very attentive and was continually checking on the passengers in F. Unfortunately I had almost an hour drive back from DTW so could only ahve a couple drinks, I would have loved to have had that service going to LAS since I didn't have to drive after landing
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
I think the resaons it's MORE likely to be seen in F is "concentration" of entitlement.

in the back the "elite" are mixed in with everyone else so it's not as "concentrated" that you are sitting with the "special".
Boorish by definition is based on a "standard" of behavior. In FC, the expectations are higher with regard to behavior - the disappointments greater when the standard is violated.

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
I have started counting carryons and saying "Gee I didn't know you had an 'extra' bag exemption" (Yes ladies, a purse is NOT a free third bag!)
There is a certain expectation that people understand and comply with certain rules - most obvious are the carry on rules (size and quantity) and the electronic equipment rule. Next in line is the seat belt rule.

In coach, rule "violations" may well be due to ignorance but in FC it is more likely indifference (I don't really care) or entitlement (it doesn't apply to ME).

But what is most remarkable is absent a rule, civility is marginally observed by many. And, moreover, the indignation of some who behave boorishly when they believe others are doing so. The "excuse me, but would you mind..." is civil, whereas the "I guess the no electronics rule doesn't apply to you" might be boorish?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Bicostal
But what is most remarkable is absent a rule, civility is marginally observed by many?
Amen.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cotter77
what the heck is fanta?
Fanta is a brand of orange soda--a fizzy sweet beverage with artificial orange flavor that is light orange in color. In other words, it's a horrible thing to drink!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.