Wiki Posts
Search

A Positive Evolution for RJs and Delta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
A Positive Evolution for RJs and Delta

I often see threads bemoaning the use of RJs. Comments like, "why has XXX/YYY gone from 2 mad dogs to 2 CRJs." "Why can't I get a "real" plane." There was even a post a few days ago about delta not offering "jet" service anymore.

I think most of us would agree that we would like for our favorite routes to be serviced by 777s or A330s, but obviously those aircraft are not going to be used on most domestic routes.

The DC-9s are aging, as are the MD88s, and even a lot of the A319/20s are 10+ years old. So while all these aircraft are fine in my book, there really isn't a low-density mainline aircraft that is spectacular.

So if for Delta to be profitable, their best bet for many routes becomes an RJ, then at least we should be pleased that significant effort is being made to make the RJ experience more enjoyable than in the past.

In my opinion, the ERJ70s and 75s are as nice in F or Y as any mainline narrow-body.
The CRJ7s and 9s, while not as good in Y, are also being fitted with F, and meals are served in line with DL mainline policies.
At the DO it was announced that many RJs are going to be fitted with Wi-Fi.
Even the dreaded CRJ2s are supposedly only going to be used on sub-60 minute routes.

While overhead space can be an issue, and while the pitch may be an inch less, we should all have had plenty of time to get used to the RJ phenomena in commercial aviation. I applaud DL for at least taking steps to make these flights as enjoyable as possible for frequent travelers.

Frankly, if it had Wi-Fi, I'd do a transcon in an ERJ no problem. 2x2 seating, adjustable headrests, and if you get that bulkhead or an upgrade, plenty of leg room.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
CR2s are horrible, even in the exit row. WiFi wouldn't even make it remotely okay.

That being said, they are nice than AA's ERJs in my opinion.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Hey, no objection from me on the CRJ-900s. Seat 1A on a CRJ-900 is my favorite seat in the whole (domestic) fleet. I'd take one over the PMDL MD-88 or MD-90 configuration every single day of the week.

I hope the mainline pilots maintain their 76 seat scope clause as long as possible - the ridiculously large FC cabin on those aircraft is Delta making lemonade from scope clause lemons

On the other hand, I hereby darn every CRJ-200 in the world to perpetual service as beer cans. Not a can of Fat Tire, either, that's too good for them. Not even Rainier. I think Milwaukee's Best or Natural Light is about right.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: DAL Plat, HH LT Diamond

i concur - all CR2's should be parked, forever.

had to ride one for 2 freakin' hours today... MSP to COS.

d
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:14 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I think F on DL RJs is pretty darn decent. However, the CR2s are a nightmare. I wish they at least had E-145s with the 1-2 seating. I can tolerate that (on the single-seat side).
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
The problem is not only the aircraft, but also the fact that they are operated by a different carrier (Comair, SkyWest, ASA, Pinnacle etc. etc.) with different personnel and different standards of service.

I agree that the F cabin in a CRJ 7 or 9 is much more comfy than a CRJ 1 or 2 - not to mention the prop planes that used to comprise the majority of the fleet of the "connection" carriers just a scant few years ago but it will take a _lot_ more to equal the mainline experience.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: DAL Plat, HH LT Diamond

i should add that the FA on the MSP to COS run this evening could best be described as "a kind MILITANT".

i hate when people use "sir" without any inkling of courtesy.

d
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
I love flying coach with E70/75 over other no AVOD coach narrow body jets.

My only concern is those CRJs and E45.
Why do i have to wait for my plane side luggage for 15min? Often those regional airports are a lot faster just to check.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
As I read the OP, I was thinking to myself that my personal gripes about RJs really don't apply to the EMB170/75/90 series. These are practically mainline, at least when upgraded. But the earlier generation RJs (both CRJ & EMB) I avoid as much as I can.

Reading the rest of the thread, my thoughts seem to agree with the majority.

Steve
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:23 am

Programs: DL MM/DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres Circle, SPG Plat, Priority Plat, Sky Club, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by houserulz77
Even the dreaded CRJ2s are supposedly only going to be used on sub-60 minute routes.
Please God - PLEASE - let this be true for MSN-ATL.

I could live with anything on that route except the CRJ2.

Cheers,
OPos.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by keeton
The problem is not only the aircraft, but also the fact that they are operated by a different carrier (Comair, SkyWest, ASA, Pinnacle etc. etc.) with different personnel and different standards of service.
great point. There are definitely noticeable differences between the regionals - each has their own bizarre quirks (for example, SkyWest's tendency to make repeated and intrusive announcements about electronic devices comes to mind).

I always used to feel like Mesaba had the best service out of all the regionals, and attributed it to them being a wholly owned subsidiary of mainline (better recruiting via better career progression, mainline oversight, etc.) I'm absolutely crushed they've been sold to Pinnacle, who I go out of my way to avoid if I can (literally - as far out of the way as SEA-ATL-PWM). I guess I can hope the fine folks at Mesaba will help bring up Pinnacle's service standards....

But then that theory falls apart with Comair, the only remaining Delta-owned regional, where nothing ever seems to go right on my flights
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:54 am

Programs: Flying Nut
Originally Posted by jameskwon
I love flying coach with E70/75 over other no AVOD coach narrow body jets.

My only concern is those CRJs and E45.
Why do i have to wait for my plane side luggage for 15min? Often those regional airports are a lot faster just to check.
I just recently started working ramp for a regional airline and can give some insight. Typically there are 2 preferably 3 people meeting your flight at the gate. Once the plane is stopped we have certain things that need to be done within the first 15 minutes of arriving at the gate. One person is responsible for doing a complete walk around and make note of any issues with the aircraft. If these issues are not properly found upon arrival, any damage found before the plane leaves will be charged to the station. Also the rampers are responsible for coning the aircraft to ensure that the no one hits any part of the aircraft. Once that is completed, one ramper typically must be stationed next to the cargo bin as the other ramper then pulls up the belt loader to the cargo bin. the cargo bin is then opened and one ramper goes into the cargo bin and starts to find the planeside bags. On some airlines all bags are scanned and on some only the checked bags are scanned. Once the bags are located and scanned, they are then but down the belt loader and then put on the cart to be taken to the gate. If your aircraft is off-loaded on the tarmac once the cart is brought forward you are allowed to deplane. Again this is FAA regulation that there is a person watching the people deplane and getting their bags and going into the terminal. We have to stay there until the last person is inside the terminal. Most regional aircraft have a 24 or 27 minute turn time otherwise the station is charge with the delay. During this time, the rampers (2 or 3) are responsible for off loading and on-loading all checked bags, off-loading and on-loading all gate checks, service the aircraft with ice and lavaratory if needed. Also this could include one taking the bags to the bag room.

I hope that helps you to understand the process the rampers go through to turn a plane. I will say there are times that things are out of our control. At my out station, we typically have 3 rampers which is basically what is needed to unload a flight. The other day we were working one departure and the next flight came in 30 minutes early. We were forced to have the second aircraft sit on the tarmac as there was no way to properly do both flights at once. So the passengers sat on the aircraft until we could push the previous flight off the gate and then brought in the other plane to the other gate. I was not happy with the way it worked out but saw there was simply no other way to get things done.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 1:57 am

Programs: Flying Nut
Originally Posted by BenA
great point. There are definitely noticeable differences between the regionals - each has their own bizarre quirks (for example, SkyWest's tendency to make repeated and intrusive announcements about electronic devices comes to mind).

I always used to feel like Mesaba had the best service out of all the regionals, and attributed it to them being a wholly owned subsidiary of mainline (better recruiting via better career progression, mainline oversight, etc.) I'm absolutely crushed they've been sold to Pinnacle, who I go out of my way to avoid if I can (literally - as far out of the way as SEA-ATL-PWM). I guess I can hope the fine folks at Mesaba will help bring up Pinnacle's service standards....

But then that theory falls apart with Comair, the only remaining Delta-owned regional, where nothing ever seems to go right on my flights
The contracting airline sets the service for the regional carrier running the regional service for them. The airline needs to know when the serice is not consistant so that they can followup with the regional carrier that they contract with.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by houserulz77
The DC-9s are aging, as are the MD88s, and even a lot of the A319/20s are 10+ years old. So while all these aircraft are fine in my book, there really isn't a low-density mainline aircraft that is spectacular.
In terms of years, yes, the MD-88 is an aging aircraft. However, when averaged out, the Delta MD-88 fleet is only at roughly the half-life point in terms of airframe hours/cycles! As of this week, the average age of the DC-9 fleet is 38.4 years; the MD-88 fleet 20.3 years. Pretty incredible design limits on these airplanes considering an A320 times-out at 20 years (roughly). A320s delivered to NWA at the same time that MD-88s were delivered to Delta have already been scrapped! One thing is certain: the "Mad Dogs" have a LOT of life left in them yet.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Opositive
Please God - PLEASE - let this be true for MSN-ATL.

I could live with anything on that route except the CRJ2.

Cheers,
OPos.
+1

I was excited to see that the MSN-ATL route was being reinstated, but then I read it was a CR2... and realized that I would not be taking it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.