Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Thank You Thread for the The 2010 Second Annual Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thank You Thread for the The 2010 Second Annual Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
I also posted in original thread my thank yous but love to do it again and add to my thanks for the FT ATL DL DO......

I learned alot, met wonderful DL people, am appreciative of the time, knowlege and information shared with us by everyone, every day. It was a lifetime experience that I just talk about all the time.

I am also very grateful to the Medallion Desk for helping me through a very serious reservation glitch this week. No, I do not ever want to be working res phones, especially dealing with the partner airlines...computer systems nightmare!!!!!.....a super nice man actually called AF on my behest due to my problem and reissued my 6 segment ticket.....

I will always be grateful. I have sent Richard Anderson and Jeff Robertson the nice man's booking code and hoping that much praise is piled him....Delta really came to bat for me.

God bless.

Dede

Last edited by dedehans; Nov 7, 2010 at 4:52 am
Old Nov 6, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Plat, Amtrak Select
I am insanely jealous and want to be part of next year's Delta DO, no matter what. DL has treated me so well over the years that I want to participate next time and show my loyalty & support.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
It was great to interact with so many Delta employees, and to see them doing their jobs with professionalism and pride.

It was also great to crash a 777, scan boarding passes, visit TechOps, visit the Ops center, visit the Ops tower, slide down the emergency slide, visit the museum, and to watch a bunch of other folks trying to get into a wet raft. There was so much to do that I was almost glad it was over, because I was so tired.

And it was great to be supported by Delta corporate sponsoring some very nice dinners and making executives available to talk to us.

Thank you - thank you - thank you - thank you! (repeat as needed.)

I'm sure the folks at the museum wonder when we will be back!

David
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Feedback

I've been in some pretty neat places in my life; Delta Air Lines HQ was one of the neatest. It is a tall order to improve on what we experienced. Here are a few ideas:

1. I missed out on the Delta Museum on Thursday morning; perhaps there could be two shifts of tours through it, one on Thursday and one early Friday morning.

2. As far as the executive presentation is concerned, that Richard Anderson thought enough of our group to give us an amazing tour d'horizon in 60 minutes of Delta particularly and the airline business generally was tremendous. I hope he will do it again. I liked all of the presenters. With respect to Sandy Gordon, it would be terrific if she spoke more about her role as the chief flight attendant at the airline, and what she sees as the services that she thinks are most important to provide to flyers, as well as a candid assessment of what she thinks about the rank and file frequent flyer, and how we as a group can make the life of an FA a little easier. With respect to Tim Mapes, I'd love to hear more about Delta's marketing philosophy (I understand that particular marketing strategies are proprietary) and how his team came up with and executed campaigns such as "We Love to Fly and It Shows". Neil Stronach could talk all day about making the airline run, and I would hang on every word. While I appreciated Mr. Schneider, the IT guy, sharing a part of his day, I don't understand computer systems, and don't have a feel for how big a job it is to come up with a website that works best. I really liked Bob Kupbens, the e-commerce guy, and I found a sincere respect for Jeff Robertson, who is a very talented businessman.

I would have liked to hear from a revenue management executive discuss how they structure fare buckets on a given flight, and I would have liked to have heard from Glen Hauenstein (sp), their route guru.

3. It would be hard to improve on the hospitality, particularly the Thursday night event at the Piedmont Park Clubhouse, the food and booze, the goodie bags Delta put together for us, or the hostess with the mostest, the one and only Katherine Lee. I am in the camp of those that felt that the bus ride out to Prime was too tedious after a very busy Friday. The Prime people put on a great show for us, but I was exhausted. I was seated with the former DL executive who conceived the "Keep Delta My Delta" campaign, and he and his significant other were wonderful dining companions along with the other flyertalkers at the table.

4. I wanted to personally thank everyone that made the tours of the Operations Control Center and Tech Ops facilities so excellent. I really enjoyed the personal interaction I had at Tech Ops with George, Billy, Durwin (aka "Dee") and William (who was the executive in charge of seats). I'm not sure that you can improve on these tours. At Operations Control, I met William and was able to trade stories with him about traveling in the Great Lakes region, and I met the gentleman (I'm sorry that I forgot his name) who was controlling the charter flight taking Notre Dame football SBN-EWR.

5. I wasn't sure what Road Warrior Training would entail--I don't think I've spent a more interesting 7 hours doing anything. Delta rolled out the red carpet for each of us; again, I'm not sure how you improve on this. Our group was led by FAs Julie, Sarah and Lindsey. They were magnificent. I just enjoyed my day so much; I have to admit, I was dragging through the Georgia Aquarium that evening, although I enjoyed visiting a venue that, otherwise, I might not visit as I am not much of a naturalist.

6. The "Walk a Mile" was a real eye-opener; it is something that all Delta DMs and PMs ought to experience. For me, I was happy scanning the boarding passes and greeting the passengers. My hope is that I represented Delta well. All the Delta staff I encountered treated me very well. In the future, if Delta chooses to continue with this, areas where we could help out would be the front ticket counters, if for nothing more than helping to marshal the lines or tag checked bags; helping out as "lounge dragons" or concierges in the Sky Clubs (I know that one of our number worked in the baggage service office, and that would be interesting also). Again, thank you to Erica Harden for all the work she put into the project to make it work, and the red coats for taking us out to the Ground Control Towers in Concourses A and E (and the DL staff in the towers).
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Best field trip ever

What else can I say? All of Delta's employees, from the executives on down, were fantastic! Also, I was really impressed with the positive attitude from every Delta employee about both their company and their customers.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:57 pm

Just to add to what everyone else has said...

It was a remarkable experience and the time and effort put in by Erica H. (walk a mile event) and all the Delta employees is just amazing and something I will always remember.

Now, whenever I connect through ATL and see the terminals, and Delta HQ, and the hangars...it won't be a connection but just like a visit with family.

Thank you!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:13 am
HRS

Programs: DL Plat. 2V Guest Rewards
The Delta Airlines Users Conference

I wanted some time to think before posting feedback. This isn't an "event" or a "do" - This is "The Delta Airlines Users Conference."

A. Timing

I'd be in favor of every 2 years - it's a lot of work for Delta and us.

B. Meals:

Let's suggest to future corporate sponsors to do the dinners at the hotel or at the airport:

- Simpler meals in quiet spaces to facilitate interaction between passengers and Delta employees.

- Consider having some of us act as flight attendants and serve an in-flight meal at tables.

- Sample the Meals for Sale.

- A little time for the sponsors to make their pitch. It's their dime, so we should give them a little time.

C. Tech Ops:

Expanded Tech Ops exploration Look at the size of it. What goes on there is of major importance. (OK, Even though in the social sciences, Tech Ops gets my German engineering gene's all hot and bothered).

D. Job Shadows:

"Walk a Mile on a Runway" FOD pickup on runway or taxiway.

"Clean-a-Plane" - Take a shift as a Cleaner.

"Prepare-a-Meal" - Work a Flight Kitchen

"Drain-a-Plane" - Work Lav Services

"Load-a-Bag" - Work Ramp
When we did the mini event at CVG, the Terminal B Ramp Supervisor made sure we all knew what it was like being around the belly of a 737 on a hot summer's day - a real learning experience.

"Find-a-Bag" - Work Delta Baggage Services

Other Costomer Service Positions - Sky Club, Ticket Counter/Keosk.

"Manage the Exceptions" - Shadow a Red Coat or Floor Supervisor

"Accessbiliy Assistant" - Work with Wheel Chair Assistants

- Use the phone reservations training facility to try our hand at reservations with actual reservation Agents as the customers.

E. Flight Simulator:

There's a lot more to the simulator facilities than actually flying the simulators. Maybe have some time with pilots who are working up their simulator flights and use the many flight deck mockups to better understand the process.

We can't jump seat in the fight decks anymore but maybe we could ride along in the observation seats in the simulators (I do understand this is a pressure time for the pilots).

F. Road Warrior Training:

More review and practice with the doors especially the exit row hatches. (I know the hatches are heavy and must be replace by employees.) I want to have the exit doors, slides,evacuation procedures, and commands "down cold".

In flight fire practice.

F.1 Report: Use of RTW Training in the field:

This past weekend I had the misfortune having to enter a bar to take shelter from a running urban gun fight. 20+ rounds found from semi auto large cal. hand gun(s) One person killed.

Many patrons froze and just stood there. Without thinking I found myself assertively pointing to people and saying "YOU - Get Down - or YOU - Do (what ever) This move was like hitting the un-freeze button. People did what I told them to do.

Thank you Delta Training Solutions!

G. Photographs and Video:

Consider the use of a small number of "Pool Photographers" - With everyone taking pictures, it's distracting for the participates and the employees and lessens the publishing of stuff that shouldn't be photographed.

H. Per "The Rules of the Road":

At the Tavern in the Park, I was wrong about Elvis's plane "The Lisa Marie". It was a Convair 880, not a 990. How did Delta know? - Delta sold the 880 to Elvis.

HRS

Last edited by HRS; Mar 5, 2011 at 9:12 am Reason: Report - Application of RWT in the field
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:33 am

Thank you from a Delta employee

Well, here's one man's thank you to everyone that came and especially to those that participated in the Gate Agent event.

Schedule issues prevented me from volunteering or participating in the Delta DO, but I was surprised and delighted to see that some FTers had the opportunity to stand on the other side of the counter and see what it is like to walk a day in the shoes of the Delta frontline.

I started my career at DL when I was in college, working the ramp, ticket counter, and gates, and later moving to a different division of the company when I finished school. It was an extraordinarily challenging and rewarding job, and after just a couple of months, I felt profound respect for the folks who spend the entirety of their careers on the frontline, day in and day out. They are the backbone of this airline--a remarkably dedicated, resilient, and adaptable group. To this day, I am certain that my years in ACS gave me a thorough education about human beings, interpersonal relationships, and communication--and of course, the nuts and bolts of airline operations.

So it is wonderful to see that some of our top customers had the opportunity to get a taste of that, as well as tour the GO and TOC. Delta is a great place to work and I think a bright future is ahead for all of us that have a vested interest in Delta's continued success as an enterprise.

All the best.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by Goldenstate
Well, here's one man's thank you to everyone that came and especially to those that participated in the Gate Agent event.

Schedule issues prevented me from volunteering or participating in the Delta DO, but I was surprised and delighted to see that some FTers had the opportunity to stand on the other side of the counter and see what it is like to walk a day in the shoes of the Delta frontline.

I started my career at DL when I was in college, working the ramp, ticket counter, and gates, and later moving to a different division of the company when I finished school. It was an extraordinarily challenging and rewarding job, and after just a couple of months, I felt profound respect for the folks who spend the entirety of their careers on the frontline, day in and day out. They are the backbone of this airline--a remarkably dedicated, resilient, and adaptable group. To this day, I am certain that my years in ACS gave me a thorough education about human beings, interpersonal relationships, and communication--and of course, the nuts and bolts of airline operations.

So it is wonderful to see that some of our top customers had the opportunity to get a taste of that, as well as tour the GO and TOC. Delta is a great place to work and I think a bright future is ahead for all of us that have a vested interest in Delta's continued success as an enterprise.

All the best.
Welcome to Flyer Talk, Goldenstate. Am sure you'll get other welcomes from the moderators and frequent posters.

Our experience at the Delta Campus and as GAs was absolutely fantastic and we Deltoids have all learned so much about the operations of an airline. Hope to do it again and maybe you will have a chance to be there too.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
I would like to thank all the Delta employees and especially the organizers from Delta that worked with the FT organizers and volunteers to make the ATL DL DO such a success. Even though it was an exhausting whirlwind of scheduled activities, it provided a marvelous insight into the inner workings of Delta Air Lines. Each and every activity was a highlight.... each individual we encountered at every venue was genuine, friendly and informative. I certainly hope that we have the opportunity to have a DL-FT ATL DO #3! ^^

There are so many posts in the original thread starting at post ~ #3700 that could simply be "cut + Pasted" into this thread that I recommend going there for more posts, that could/should have been in this thread.

(Perhaps a mod could put in the link into this thread.)

:-:Thank You Delta for your Hospitality!:-:
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Goldenstate
Well, here's one man's thank you to everyone that came and especially to those that participated in the Gate Agent event.<snip>
Goldenstate - Welcome to FT! Make yourself at home. For the most part, this site does value the input of the worker-side of the travel industry!

Unfortunately, schedule issues also prevented me from getting to this event, maybe next time. I have used some of the stories from the other threads about the event in some of my recent conversations with both cabin crew and some of the GAs I routinely talk to at BWI (my usual starting point for my travels). Everyone I have talked to is simply amazed at the level of involvement that our community was given through this experience.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Absolutely Amazing!

As a Los Angeles-based ex-Northwest guy, I had my hesitations about moving to Delta, especially considering all of my colleagues are loyal United flyers.

I can say that this event was truly eye-opening and has cemented by loyalty to Delta. To see the faces behind the corporate veil made me truly appreciate the heart and soul that's required to run an airline. I know those of us who frequently travel will always run into a few bad eggs every so often but I understand they aren't representative of the many outstanding employees who truly take pride in trying to make Delta a world class airline.

While I have no doubt that Delta presented their best at the DO, these people were truly outstanding and very open, honest and sincere. They genuinely seemed to appreciate us as loyal customers.

While I had high expectations for this event, it still blew me away.

I'd like to offer a sincere thanks to everyone who made this such a spectacular four days.

Bravo!!!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Another Los Angeles-based ex-Northwest guy adding my thanks to everyone involved in the Second Annual Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event.

It was clearly a huge success for both the airline and customers to learn and communicate with each other. It put a personal perspective on what we miss via FlyerTalk posts. What we as customers had access to during the tours, Q&A, training, GA for a day and social events with the staff was unprecedented.

Again, HUGE thank you to the DL staff as well as our FlyerTalk organizers.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
I am bumping this thread as we will soon be having the Delta Employee and FlyerTalk Volunteer Thank You Luncheon.

If you have not had the chance to add your personal note to this thread, please take the time to do so. We will be taking the notes from this thread and making sure that all of the Delta Employees and Volunteers that participated in the event in October have a chance to see your thoughts and comments.

A big Thank You to everyone that contributed to help cover the cost of the Luncheon. It is greatly appreciated and I know it will greatly appreciated by the over 100 Delta employees that will be attending the Luncheon.

A huge Thank You to Canarsie for all his hard work behind the scenes leading the effort to pull this Luncheon together! I don't think most people have a thorough idea how much work goes into making an event like this happen.

More to come - stay tuned...
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Thank you!

To all the 100+ DL employees who were involved in the mega-DO (and the FT volunteers), big-big-big

THANK YOU!

for all the hard work and support of the DO (and our travel needs). Was a pleasure visiting @ the DL HQ. Great operations! every FA and Pilot I talked to is amazed by the amount of work put into the event (and some would like to volunteer/join next year)

Best,

DLroads (et. al.)

PS-Who do I need to bribe to get a visit on the 777-200 SIM? I can work out a box of fresh French chocolates, or seasonal sake, pick your choice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.