Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
FLL has been an easy upgrade for me. I am 100% to/from DTW, and even at 75% to/from ATL. That's as an FO and on U or T fares.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:14 pm

Upgrade Chances

Just curious whether ATL - EWR (and vice-versa) on Delta is an elite heavy route. Can a Silver on a B or M fare have a good shot at an upgrade on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday?

thanks
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:18 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
This coming week at least, a coach B fare is $100 less than a A (First) fare. Just book A if you are going to spend that much?

Originally Posted by bmw303
Just curious whether ATL - EWR (and vice-versa) on Delta is an elite heavy route. Can a Silver on a B or M fare have a good shot at an upgrade on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday?

thanks
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:19 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Also, yes it's very elite heavy. This coming Monday's flight is already V=0, so it was taken up by Diamonds/Plats/Golds by now.

--Matthew
Old Oct 23, 2010, 6:20 am

Programs: Marriott PP /DL Diamond
Originally Posted by Mdanner423
Also, yes it's very elite heavy. This coming Monday's flight is already V=0, so it was taken up by Diamonds/Plats/Golds by now.

--Matthew
Probably a simple question. How can you see how many seats are left on a flight?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Mdanner423
This coming week at least, a coach B fare is $100 less than a A (First) fare. Just book A if you are going to spend that much?
yes - the difference was just over $100. Unfortunately policy prohibits buying the F seat.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 7:41 am
formerly Mdanner423

Subscribe to Expert Flyer.

Originally Posted by mlts0807
Probably a simple question. How can you see how many seats are left on a flight?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by bmw303
yes - the difference was just over $100. Unfortunately policy prohibits buying the F seat.
Just explain to the policy geeks that, if anything goes irregular with the flight, DL will insist that the ticket is not a first class ticket, so it must not be FC (even though, as you recognized, DL markets it as such).
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:41 pm

Realistic upgrade chances JFK-LAX

I have a ticket booked for this Sat PIT-JFK-LAX. It's booked in a full Y and I'm a Plat. What are the chances for upgrade on this. I try to avoid anything I can't upgrade in advance. I figure I can start early, and if I don't clear one I can SDC to the next one. And try again. I appreciate any help from people who generally fly this route.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Have you looked to see how many first class seats are open on the flight?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
Have you looked to see how many first class seats are open on the flight?
Expert Flyer is showing
J6 for the 9am
J4 for the for the noon
J9 for the 3pm (which if I can SDC I may try to start here)
J4 for the 5pm
J9 for the 7pm (currently booked on)

Last edited by umguy; Oct 26, 2010 at 2:06 pm Reason: figures changed
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by umguy
I have a ticket booked for this Sat PIT-JFK-LAX. It's booked in a full Y and I'm a Plat. What are the chances for upgrade on this. I try to avoid anything I can't upgrade in advance. I figure I can start early, and if I don't clear one I can SDC to the next one. And try again. I appreciate any help from people who generally fly this route.
Assuming there are still seats (say F3 or greater), I'd say your chances are pretty good. I have only missed that upgrade 3 times ever. Two times were recently, but I was on a U or T ticket and missed by one each time. I thought as a DM traveling off peak I would have no problems, but it didn't work out that way. To be honest, something seemed amiss. There were plenty of seats available on the return and then they were all gone. No cancellation or anything and it was midday on a Saturday, so not much business travel and it was before the Europe flights arrived. Something just smelled fishy. Win some lose some...
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Shouldn't be an issue - the only people that can trump the OP is a DM on a full Y, so it is unlikely there are that many of them.

Programs: DL DM
The route is very quirky. Some flights (i.e. the 9pm JFK-LAX) has everyone getting upgraded, others have Diamonds in the back. My recommendation is to book JFK-XYZ-LAX and SDC to the non-stop if the odds for the upgrade look good.

Originally Posted by umguy
Expert Flyer is showing
J6 for the 9am
J4 for the for the noon
J9 for the 3pm (which if I can SDC I may try to start here)
J4 for the 5pm
J9 for the 7pm (currently booked on)
Looks like a pretty good chance, unless you are counting on it. Then it won't happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.