Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2010, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah the 12th-17th looks like your best bet. Midweek is always better for Z availability, especially when you're close to the flight date like this.

There is Z or G avail on all legs ATL-DTW-ICN and back. 777 is a nice aircraft, but it is the older style 'cradle' BE seats and not the new flatbed 777LR or almost flat like on a 747. If Z on the 777LR was available from atl-nrt I'd say take that flight.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milesho
It's complcated by the fact that PDX-NRT-ICN and back is actually a single flight number (DL91 west, DL90 east) with a plane change in NRT. I could see Z availability on both legs from the beginning I couldn't get the upgrade until it showed for the combined flight.
Just so you know, you can book the flight as separate segments instead of the single flight number... just do multicity or call up and have an agent book it as segments. Then you can clear on each one individually.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, SC, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rylan
Just so you know, you can book the flight as separate segments instead of the single flight number... just do multicity or call up and have an agent book it as segments. Then you can clear on each one individually.
My company's travel agent made the booking. She said that she couldn't do it that way even though I was able to do it to just short of payment. Typical of the service we get and we are required to use them.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by MMFlyer
Thanks a lot everyone. I only flew on one domestic last year when I could upgrade, everything else was ATL-DXB, ATL-BOM, or Barbiejet routes with cheap seats. Will be nice to have a chance at getting out of steerage for a change.

Thanks again for the feedback!
same boat. er, same plane. the great majority of my DL trips are long-haul international. . .my only hope for a nice ride is upgrading with miles or scoring an op-up. (luckily, i got two last year, though, including transpac 744 on the upper deck!)

much of my domestic flying in on the dreaded WN, and, as you know . . . the upgrade opportunities are fairly minimal.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: US Airways Zilch, Delta Skymiles Platinum
You all are great. The domestic upgrades don't worry me too much. Its those long hauls that are painful for someone 6'4". I took an award fight ATL-LAS this year (was with my wife so I didn't upgrade) and was listening to some people saying what a long flight that was. One of them looked like she was still in her pajamas and was carrying her pillow. I just shook my head and chuckled...
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: US Airways Zilch, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Subscribed to Expertflyer today. I see M inventory on the TPACS out of DTW but Delta.com shows either H or B/Y, no M and the fare search on Expertflyer won't show them either. Any ideas?
Thanks again!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like you have to call and talk with an agent to get it booked if the website isn't being cooperative. I've had problems getting the online booking system to show M fares for tpac if I select 'discounted' or pick M in the fare class, but the booking agents seem to know how to get it to work. Just have to tell them you'll be using an SWU and they'll grab the correct fares.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
upgrade chances

Another newbie thread, sorry...

What do you think typical upgrade chances will be for FO and for GM in 2011 on these routes (does it pay to go for GM is the main question for me)

DTW-LAS

DTW-RSW

DTW-FLL

DTW-GCM

DTW-ATL

DTW-AUA

THankS
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
16.48492849242842942%
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
ok 1 in 6... thanks a bunch!!!
i know yer jokin
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton

What do you think typical upgrade chances will be for FO and for GM in 2011 on these routes (does it pay to go for GM is the main question for me)

DTW-ATL

THankS
As a gold, I miss DTW-ATL upgrades quite often.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM

DTW-LAS

DTW-RSW

DTW-FLL

DTW-GCM

DTW-ATL

DTW-AUA

THankS
Dont know about these specific flights, but I do anticipate a reduction in overall numbers of DMs and PMs in 2011.

Being GM gives one a better chance of upgrades than being FO.

Even now have seen a big increase in upgrades to First domestically, for my wife as she transitioned from FO to GM.

That is without having to go the 'Companion Upgrade' route.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:02 am

typical upgrade chances will be for FO and for GM in 2011 on these routes
Ranked from highest chance of an upgrade to lowest chance (IMHO):

GCM
AUA
RSW
LAS
FLL
ATL 0.0% Don't even get your hopes up.

In general your upgrade chances as a lower-level elite are best on leisure routes and on off-days (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays).
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:19 am

I'd like to add one more route to the list:

DTW-BWI (saturday/sunday)

What are the chances of an FO upgrade?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Like any list like this it depends on several factors. What season? What day of the week? What time of day? Fare of ticket paid. I have been upgraded on routes/fares that I was completely surprised at, and shut out of the upgrade on previously slam dunk routes. It really depends on many factors, and generally speaking is misleading. As they say YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.