Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:49 pm

And, will the B763ER have the new lie-flat seat mods in front / AVOD installed in back by then?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Gosh darnded all ... FA just took the last banana.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Shenanigans!!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by happydad100
I am wondering about the chances of an upgrade to F class on DL 170 SLC to CDG on November 27th.

I can't believe there have been more than a dozen replies so far and nobody has yet mentioned that this flight does not have any F seats at all. I'd say your chances of being upgraded to J are better than your chances of being upgraded into F but about equal to the chance of the whole flight crashing into the Indian Ocean.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:24 pm

OP Here: Thanks for all the good natured replys. Makes me realize how much I enjoy this community and its great sense of humor. Your all rock!

P.S. On another note, I do appreciate the thread on preferred seats and the role the board played in getting that policy quickly resolved. Win-Win. Great job!

Happydad
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Chances of international mileage upgrade clearing?

Hey hoping for some advice from you guys. For the first time I am actually on an upgradeable (M Fare) ticket, Delta 118 JFK-CPH.

Its showing me waitlisted for the upgrade.

The weird thing is I called in earlier today and a woman told me I was 2nd on the list and I should check again after 8pm (flight is tomorrow at 7pm). So I just called the man I spoke to said it was impossible to see the wait list. So either he or the woman I spoke to earlier was mistaken I guess.

Anyway, it looks like there are 5 seats available in the seat map.

How are my chances?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nycjacobfly
Hey hoping for some advice from you guys. For the first time I am actually on an upgradeable (M Fare) ticket, Delta 118 JFK-CPH.

Its showing me waitlisted for the upgrade.

The weird thing is I called in earlier today and a woman told me I was 2nd on the list and I should check again after 8pm (flight is tomorrow at 7pm). So I just called the man I spoke to said it was impossible to see the wait list. So either he or the woman I spoke to earlier was mistaken I guess.

Anyway, it looks like there are 5 seats available in the seat map.

How are my chances?
1. Don't rely on the seat map. You need to know how many seats are available for sale. There are places to go for that info, like Expertflyer

2. Without knowing how many seats there are, and how many people there are ahead of you, how can we guess
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
ExpertFlyer is showing J6 so I'm thinking you'll be fine and clear.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by turnpike17
ExpertFlyer is showing J6 so I'm thinking you'll be fine and clear.
wow thanks! fingers crossed
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Well, since there aren't any F seats on this bird, surely you won't settle for a J seat. You might as well dine up front - - - WAYYYY up front, and fly in the cockpit!
Old Sep 25, 2010, 2:47 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
And I would add: Would someone here use their paid for Expert Flyer account to tell me about seat availability and chance for UG? I have a couple options but I don't want to pay to find out what they are.
We offer a 5-day no credit card required trial period, so feel free to try it out for yourself. If after that you don't feel that $4.99 is worth not having to sit in Y, no hard feelings.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Silver, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold VIP, Priority Club Platinum
Upgrade Fees?

Is there an additional $ fee on Delta like the $350 + 25,000 miles on AA for Int upgrades?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by qwertyking
Is there an additional $ fee on Delta like the $350 + 25,000 miles on AA for Int upgrades?
There is no fee.

I have had upgrades clear a month our or a couple days out. Most of the time I only book an upgradable fare if I can actually get the upgrade on checkin. But in a few cases I have done it when upgrades where only available for a part of the trip. From what I can see: The upgrades are made available one or two at a time well ahead of the departure of the flight (30 days+). But it looks like they clear the rest if space is available a day or two before departure, similar to complimentary domestic upgrades (but there is no 5 days for PM/3 days for GM schedule).

A good indicator is the availability of I fares, which you can check via delta.com.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If it doesn't clear by the time you check in, make sure you request to be put on the airport standby upgrade list. They should clear you at the gate then if any seats are available, before giving to non-revs.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
If it doesn't clear by the time you check in, make sure you request to be put on the airport standby upgrade list. They should clear you at the gate then if any seats are available, before giving to non-revs.
Is this anecdotal or confirmed? I avoid the s-word threads and BE non-revs bashing, but just wonder if this is now happening. I'm waitlisted on an LAX-SYD flight and crossing everything I have (including a few things that shouldn't be crossed). EF shows J4 D1 S0 I0 with 9 days left.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.