Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Its a bit frustrating to still be FO. I will make GM this year, just not YET.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
(assuming you're based out of ATL)

Honestly, if I were you, I'd book the cheaper conneting flight via NW through MSP or DTW solely for the MQM's per dollar ratio as it will help you get a little closer to Gold for less.

My first flight after being status matched to GM was DAY-JFK-LAS-CVG-DAY. The morning flights via JFK I did not upgrade on as a gold, but I was #1 on the board when I boarded (didn't know about the "don't-board-yet-just-hang-on" rule with DL). However the late afternoon return to CVG I was upgraded on.

THIS however was the weekend for the final four and every gambler in the universe was off to Vegas that weekend. Traveling during the world series shouldn't be that big an issue for you considering the two teams local cities don't connect too heavily though ATL to LAS.

SO, on the otherhand, yea, you could get your upgrade during those days, but what the hell, why not spend less and get more MQM's?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by photojojo
(assuming you're based out of ATL)

Honestly, if I were you, I'd book the cheaper conneting flight via NW through MSP or DTW solely for the MQM's per dollar ratio as it will help you get a little closer to Gold for less.

My first flight after being status matched to GM was DAY-JFK-LAS-CVG-DAY. The morning flights via JFK I did not upgrade on as a gold, but I was #1 on the board when I boarded (didn't know about the "don't-board-yet-just-hang-on" rule with DL). However the late afternoon return to CVG I was upgraded on.

THIS however was the weekend for the final four and every gambler in the universe was off to Vegas that weekend. Traveling during the world series shouldn't be that big an issue for you considering the two teams local cities don't connect too heavily though ATL to LAS.

SO, on the otherhand, yea, you could get your upgrade during those days, but what the hell, why not spend less and get more MQM's?
Well, the other issue is that I have to arrive and be chipper and do business. I'm authorized to spend X amount, and normally fly business class but on this trip I'm thinking to go coach, take my chances on a direct flight upgrade, and have more spending money. Its pretty rough to have to budget in Vegas and there is some entertainment to be done.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:32 pm

Guys, the flight on the way back is a Q fare. Can that be upgraded for 5K skymiles, or is it 10K?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by BingoLoco
Guys, the flight on the way back is a Q fare. Can that be upgraded for 5K skymiles, or is it 10K?
Woops. Q-Fares not upgradable. Doh!

Oh well, he said 1/3 of 1st on the way out and 1/2 of first on the way back is still open, so maybe I'll get the upgrade. I'd really appreciate it on the way back.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: DAL Diamond, JB Mosaic, AGR Select+, SPG Plat 75, Hyatt Diamond, AXP Plat, AXP DAL Reserve, AXP SPG
Originally Posted by BingoLoco
Q fares are not upgradable with miles (unless your a PM using a PMU). You'd need to be on a Y, B or M fare...
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:08 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Save the money, go with NW.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:26 pm

Oh well, I think I'm gonna change it to a Y fare and move to the front.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
In March, I flew coach ATL-LAS on an L fare on a Sunday at 6pm. I did get the upgrade coming back on that trip, LAS-ATL on Thursday evening at 11:55pm, U fare. I'm PM.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:32 pm

Taking the red-eye I'm saving on the hotel, so I'm just changing it to a first fare. They are $838. I shoulda done my homework.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:20 pm

Wow, I can route myself through MSP in first on NWA and get like 6500 MQMs for the trip, and the times still work out well. Don't think I can justify that in a business sense, though since one stops on Spirit in first are like $450.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:57 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I wouldn't really factor Spirit in to the equation too much unless it's for one of their dirt cheap fares. I've flown them to MCO a few times and their operations are a cluster... unorganized boarding and rude/unattentive FAs. Their "Big Front Seats" are indeed bigger, about the size of an AirTran Business Class seat, but I don't think they have as much pitch. They're also not seperated from the rest of the cabin at all. The times I've flown them to MCO the fares have been in the $30 or less range r/t ALL IN. It's hard to complain about anything in that price range, but flying 4+ hours TCON I would personaly go coach (especially in a B767 exit row) over Spirit in the "Big Front Seat". I really think Spirit only offers those seats to say they have them. They don't do free upgrades for members of their program and those seats often fly empty or only 1/4 taken.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by chaz.brownfield
Unfortunately, I do not think that you are going to have any luck on that flight:

DL 721
Dep ATL 10/26/07 9:40 AM
Arr LAS 10/26/07 11:09 AM
F1 Y7 V0

There is currently only 1 FC seat still available. Congrats on GM though ...
Thanks, and it's all BIS miles.

I saw that on seat counter. It's okay, I'm travelling with 2 non-status friends. Also you never know what will happen in ATL. I was fogged out of ATL earlier this month. I was confirmed upgraded on the ATL-SAV 757 flight, well missed the connection, next flight was on a mad dog, a lot less seats, so no upgrade.

Returning though CVG on Sunday, not ATL
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:26 am

Programs: DL 1.3MM GM , Marriott-Platinum Premier+Lifetime , Hilton-Blue, Nat'l-Emerald Club Executive Elite
I think you would get more out of the $200 you'd save doing the MR run with NWA. The upgrades to/from LAS are tough. Even as a PM I have had problems getting upgraded on some runs.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I wouldn't really factor Spirit in to the equation too much unless it's for one of their dirt cheap fares. I've flown them to MCO a few times and their operations are a cluster... unorganized boarding and rude/unattentive FAs. Their "Big Front Seats" are indeed bigger, about the size of an AirTran Business Class seat, but I don't think they have as much pitch. They're also not seperated from the rest of the cabin at all. The times I've flown them to MCO the fares have been in the $30 or less range r/t ALL IN. It's hard to complain about anything in that price range, but flying 4+ hours TCON I would personaly go coach (especially in a B767 exit row) over Spirit in the "Big Front Seat". I really think Spirit only offers those seats to say they have them. They don't do free upgrades for members of their program and those seats often fly empty or only 1/4 taken.
Yeah, but if there are decent itineraries $450-650 and I see that my contractor booked a $850 flight I am gonna be seriously pissed off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.