Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Twon-Dexter
I do all my flying domestically, but will be on the ATL-FRA flight later this month. It's a U fare, so for the inexperienced, is there any chance of getting the upgrade? If so, how? Be nice to the gate agent? When/how? Bribe the gate agent? When/how/how much? Other options?

I'll appreciate any insights from the more-seasoned international crowd.
You are a PM so there is always the possibility of an operational upgrade if the flight is full in coach. Discreetly tell the GA that you are a PM in search of an operational upgrade should the opportunity present itself. It is really hard for them to do it if the back of the plane is not oversold.

And even if it is, they may find some PMs travelling on higher fares to upgrade. But I have received op-ups with low discount fares.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by RobertS975
You are a PM so there is always the possibility of an operational upgrade if the flight is full in coach. Discreetly tell the GA that you are a PM in search of an operational upgrade should the opportunity present itself. It is really hard for them to do it if the back of the plane is not oversold.

And even if it is, they may find some PMs travelling on higher fares to upgrade. But I have received op-ups with low discount fares.
I've gotten an "op-up" as a Silver before, so if it is decently oversold, you should be fine.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Twon-Dexter
Bribe the gate agent? When/how/how much? Other options?

I'll appreciate any insights from the more-seasoned international crowd.
Well, I don't suggest trying to bribe the GA. Most I know would find it insulting and that would guarantee you are sitting in coach. RobertS975 has pretty much laid out the best game plan for you. TATL op-ups are a huge gift and never to be expected. They'll fly with empty seats up front before they ever move anyone out of coach if they don't have to, and they more often than not, don't have to. Even buying up your fare to an upgradeable fare class will not guarantee you sit in BizE.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
The only intl op-ups that I've received on DL were when Y was oversold and I had volunteered for a bump (VDB).
Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I've never had an op-up from DL on TATL LUT fares. Both AZ and AF have given me them based on my DL status, always when Y was full and there was space in F.

Yes, there is always a chance, but IMHO it's exceedingly rare.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tkey75
Well, I don't suggest trying to bribe the GA. Most I know would find it insulting and that would guarantee you are sitting in coach.
You obviously haven't been offering enough money.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by indufan
You obviously haven't been offering enough money.
Yeah, I guess you're right. It's like when I saw a young lady drop a tip of $0.05 into the jar at Cold Stone Creamery right in plain sight of the person behind the counter and said 'Don't I get a song now?'
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:10 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
As others have said, an 'op-up' is pretty much the only way, unless the FA takes a fancy to you and breaks some rules and moves you to row 6...

Anyway, also depends on when you're travelling - if on the peak holiday days (say Dec 21 or 22 or Jan 2, 6, 7, etc.) you stand a decent chance of op-ups since, not only are you a PM, but Y is almost always oversold on many flights during the holidays and BE is quite wide open.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:02 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by RobertS975
You are a PM so there is always the possibility of an operational upgrade if the flight is full in coach. Discreetly tell the GA that you are a PM in search of an operational upgrade should the opportunity present itself.
As RobertS975 said, make yourself a candidate for the op-up. Present yourself professionally and appropriately dressed, and discretely note that you are traveling alone and willing to move up if needed.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum
Very valuable info. Thanks everybody.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Upgrade chances EWR-SLC

Hi all,

I recently obtained Gold status via a status match from AA and had a question regarding the EWR-SLC route. I searched but I think the search terms gave the engine some trouble.

I currently have a reward ticket in F in mid-March Saturday-Thursday, however due to some changes in travel plans I may need some additional EQMs this year. I was thinking about canceling the reward ticket and purchasing a coach ticket, which I believe was a T fare. Current F availability seems pretty good, but its over 2 months away.

Does anyone have any upgrade experience on this route as a Gold? In addition, as I'm new to Delta, will the fare class affect my upgrade chances very much?

I greatly appreciate your help and look forward to flying DL.

-T
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by troyb
In addition, as I'm new to Delta, will the fare class affect my upgrade chances very much?
Upgrades at the window (3 day for GM) clear first based on status (PM at 5 day, GM at 3 day, FO at 1 day), then by fare within the window. At 3 days out, a GM on a H fare beats a GM on a T fare.

However, if the upgrade doesn't clear at the window (and thus becomes battlefield), it becomes when the upgrade request at the airport is done (normally, this is at check-in at the airport of your first flight, or at the gate). A GM on a T fare that requests to be on the upgrade standby list will beat any other GM, unless the GM is on a full-fare ticket (not sure if it's just Y, or Y/B/M; either case, any full-fare Medallion jumps to the front of the queue).
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Hi,

Thanks for all of your help. Does anyone have any experience on this specific flight?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
I've always found EWR-SLC and SLC-EWR to be one of the hardest flights to upgrade. I've only flown it half a dozen times or so though. One time I was #18 on the u/g list! A PM on a B fare next to me was given a battlefield upgrade that day! (That was on a Monday morning SLC-EWR, usually I'm a little closer to clearing. I cleared once in 2003 as a FO.)
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by NHFL9
I've always found EWR-SLC and SLC-EWR to be one of the hardest flights to upgrade. I've only flown it half a dozen times or so though. One time I was #18 on the u/g list! A PM on a B fare next to me was given a battlefield upgrade that day! (That was on a Monday morning SLC-EWR, usually I'm a little closer to clearing. I cleared once in 2003 as a FO.)
Thanks for the advice. I think I might risk it since it will be a Sat-Wed flight and off-peak.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.