Wiki Posts
Search

GM Upgrade doesn't clear at window...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, UA GOLD, HERTZ #1 GOLD, STRWD PLAT
GM Upgrade doesn't clear at window...

I'm sure it's been answered here thousands of times, but I can't seem to find it in a search, so I apologize.

If a GM upgrade doesn't clear at the window, is there a chance that it may clear prior to the gate, or does it always mean that it will be a possible gate upgrade situation?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM
Really? You couldn't find this?

Without V (or X) inventory when your UG window comes up, you'll be left to what's called the "battlefield," or gate. You'll end up on an upgrade priority list and will be ordered based on medallion level and ticket price.

There's a small chance it'll clear prior to the gate if inventory opens, but it looks like you'll be waiting for a BF upgrade as described above.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta Plat
also delta never clears anyone ahead of the gate if oyu are flying JFK > LAX, SFO
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:05 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rweintra
I'm sure it's been answered here thousands of times, but I can't seem to find it in a search, so I apologize.

If a GM upgrade doesn't clear at the window, is there a chance that it may clear prior to the gate, or does it always mean that it will be a possible gate upgrade situation?
It can happen that V is opened up before the gate upgrade but it is a pretty small chance. I would expect and plan for a gate upgrade.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
I'm PM and didn't clear an upgrade yet for a MSP-PHX flight on the 22nd...but even more oddly, I can't see an upgrade list! When I checked in for my flight from BKK, I can see a link to view the upgrade list...but it comes up empty. Weird!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Powers106
I'm PM and didn't clear an upgrade yet for a MSP-PHX flight on the 22nd...but even more oddly, I can't see an upgrade list! When I checked in for my flight from BKK, I can see a link to view the upgrade list...but it comes up empty. Weird!
Time to call the medallion line.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:34 am

Is this part of a multi-leg? If so, it will often only display the first leg.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:50 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I believe the upgrade list will only display online within the check-in window for that flight. Since you checked in at BKK I am assuming that it is greater than 24 hours from your domestic segment. Once you are within the 24 hours of your domestic segment the upgrade list for that flight should show.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by stencil
Is this part of a multi-leg? If so, it will often only display the first leg.
Yeah, I called the desk and that is what they thought sounded right as well (but the guy sounded like a newbie, and TTT might be right as well). Anyway I was able to confirm they still have seats in F for sale, and I'm currently #1 on the upgrade list, so my perfect streak might be saved!~!

Last edited by Powers106; Oct 21, 2010 at 7:53 am Reason: added
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, UA GOLD, HERTZ #1 GOLD, STRWD PLAT
Originally Posted by stencil
Really? You couldn't find this?

Without V (or X) inventory when your UG window comes up, you'll be left to what's called the "battlefield," or gate. You'll end up on an upgrade priority list and will be ordered based on medallion level and ticket price.

There's a small chance it'll clear prior to the gate if inventory opens, but it looks like you'll be waiting for a BF upgrade as described above.
I knew about the V/X inventory and about battlefield upgrades. I've dealt with both many times. My main question was about the possibility of an upgrade clearing after the 3 day window, but before it becoming a battlefield situation.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:43 am

I knew about the V/X inventory and about battlefield upgrades. I've dealt with both many times. My main question was about the possibility of an upgrade clearing after the 3 day window, but before it becoming a battlefield situation.
I've only had it happen once where I've cleared inside my 3 day window. It was less than 24 hours before the flight, but before the airport takes control which is 3 hours prior to departure time I think. It happened overnight so I'm not exactly sure how far out it occurred.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:56 am

Gotcha. Yeah, it's happened. I have to guess it happens when a V/X seat opens up when someone else changes flights or cancels. Or if revenue management does something magical.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:10 am

I've been watching upgrade availability for some of my future DL flights in ExpertFlyer, and it seems pretty common that 7 days out they show wide open availability in V/X - 8's or 9's. Then suddenly everything goes to 0 - while interestingly the seat map in the first class cabin doesnt change much or at all.

A pretty bogus system, as I am sure has been discussed many times before here.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
It has happened to me several times, as a PM: Partner (PM with Amex Reserve) would clear at 5-6 day window, I would only clear 48hrs before the flight.
It also happened once that I was on UG list for gate upgrade but was upgraded when printing my BP from the kiosk 2 hrs before my flight.

It seems that once you reached your window, UG can clear anytime.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
It happens. Not often, but it's not a rarity either. Like others said, if V inventory becomes available, it will immediately get allocated to the next elites in line who are within the upgrade window. Happened to me last month on DTW-SFO. I was too low on the list to clear at the Plat window, but I ended up clearing a day or two later when more inventory opened up.

Some routes will never have upgrade inventory released prior to the gate, as others have mentioned, including JFK-LAX, etc. All depends on what they think they can sell, however realistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.