Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive Guide to Delta Fare Basis Codes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Location: Minneapolis, MN - At least that's where I receive mail...
Programs: DL (DM), AA (EP), SPG (Ambassador), HHonors (Gold)

Does anyone have a comprehensive guide to Delta fare basis codes? I'm looking for more than simply the listing of fare classes at:
http://www.cwsi.net/delta.htm

I did find the following guide to IATA fare bases, which gets me partially there, but it doesn't explain everything that I've seen:
http://www.atpco.net/atpco/download/rbd_iata_res728.pdf

The story behind this question is that I'm trying to figure out why I can't book a certain round trip under some fare bases. ExpertFlyer is showing me the following fares:
(The boldface indicates what I haven't been able to interpret.)

TLXPV74 DL T Round-Trip 312.00(USD) E 12/24/10 12/26/10 SU / 3M 07
TLXSL95 DL T Round-Trip 383.00(USD) E 12/25/10 03/31/11 SU / 1M 14
ULXSL95 DL U Round-Trip 393.00(USD) E 12/25/10 03/31/11 SU / 1M 07

And there is both U and T availability on Delta-coded, Delta-metal flights on those days:

Outbound:
DL () 252 0 DTW
01/10/11 3:50 PM AMS
01/11/11 5:55 AM 333
Daily
87% / 43m J9 D9 S8 I8 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U9 T9
DL () 9553 0 AMS
01/11/11 9:55 AM DUS
01/11/11 10:50 AM F70
Daily
95% / 10m C9 D9 S8 I8 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U9 T9

Return:
DL () 9439 0 DUS
01/19/11 6:15 AM AMS
01/19/11 7:15 AM F70
Daily
92% / 31m C9 D9 S9 I9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U9 T9
DL () 243 0 AMS
01/19/11 10:50 AM DTW
01/19/11 1:30 PM 333
Daily
90% / 26m J9 D9 S9 I9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U9 T9

But I can't book this round trip under any of the above fares.

Last edited by aaronhurd; Sep 25, 2010 at 9:23 am
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Not all of the fare rules are displayed in the lines above, just the main restrictions.

But the TLXPV74 line indicates applicability only from 24 DEC 10 to 26 DEC 10, so your flights don't fall in that period.

The TLXSL95 fare requires a minimum 14 day stay at the destination (see last number in the sequence), and you are only staying 9.

The ULXSL95 could be applicable unless there is a restriction in the rule which prevents it (such as not being a resident of Slobovia, not being over 65, etc.).

So you would need to find the fare rules somewhere (travel agencies have online access to those) to determin why it is not applicable.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
The TLXSL95 fare requires a minimum 14 day stay at the destination (see last number in the sequence), and you are only staying 9.
I believe the 14 refers to the advance purchase requirement. The minimum stay is SU, which implies I believe a Saturday night stay (and returning no earlier than the following Sunday).
Old Sep 25, 2010, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
You can find all of the fare rules on Expert Flyer. YOu need to read each carefully and see which applies. Don't forget that even if they list a T fare available on your outbound and you seem to fit into all the restrictions, you might not be able to get it in combination with your specific return and vice versa.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Why does DL hide fare rules?

So this is really getting annoying regarding DL. I've never been able to find fare rules on DL when purchasing a ticket (maybe I am missing something) but always was given the choice to view them on nwa.com.

So my DL method has always been using Expedia to build the mock itin, then look at the fare rules. Now, when I try to use Expedia I get the following message:

We have not received rules or restriction information for this flight. In most cases, the following rules and restrictions may apply.

I interpret this as DL not giving Expedia the fare rules. And now when I use dl.com and try to look at the "policies" on cancellation etc I only get this:

Fare Rules Unavailable

and

Unable to Display Fare Rule

What a flipping joke, why can't I see the fare rules of a fare I want to buy??? This is so frustrating.

Just so you all know, I'm trying to book a international coach ticket that I want to know the change & cancellation rules for each fare. Yes I know the higher the fare the more flexible, but I want to know specifically what "more" flexible means. GRRRRR.

PS. I should not have to have EF Plus to find this out.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:17 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
=
What a flipping joke, why can't I see the fare rules of a fare I want to buy??? This is so frustrating.
At the bottom of every purchase page before you hit the purchase button.

View change & cancellation policies.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by 18sas
I believe the 14 refers to the advance purchase requirement. The minimum stay is SU, which implies I believe a Saturday night stay (and returning no earlier than the following Sunday).
My bad (a silly bad). And I knew that ... just looked wrong.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
At the bottom of every purchase page before you hit the purchase button.

View change & cancellation policies.
I thought I made it clear, but apparently my previous post wasn't clear enough. I clicked on that, also clicked on the other links. A pop up box comes up and they all say:

Fare Rules Unavailable

and

and that I should call Delta. Hence the origin of my complaint...
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:11 am

I thought I made it clear, but apparently my previous post wasn't clear enough. I clicked on that, also clicked on the other links. A pop up box comes up and they all say:

Fare Rules Unavailable

and

and that I should call Delta. Hence the origin of my complaint...
Don't know what to tell you. Every time I click on it, the data comes up on the Delta site. Tried again twice last night just to be sure. It gives you the short version and if you click on the next link it gives you the full multiple page format
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
One way to find the fare rules is to do a flexible date search on travelocity.com. Then, click on fare details.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:33 am

Don't know what to tell you. Every time I click on it, the data comes up on the Delta site. Tried again twice last night just to be sure. It gives you the short version and if you click on the next link it gives you the full multiple page format
Tried with some domestic itins, and I can get the fare rules for those. So you are right, it works for some. But can't find it on my PVG-MSP itin. Don't know if it is because it is international, Asia international, originating outside the US, or just random DL bugs as usual.

Either way, I can confirm it is only NOT working for the few dates I am picking in Jan. How frustrating, now I can see why dl.com got the name dl.dumb. It isn't just the award calendar that is broke...
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:28 pm

Either way, I can confirm it is only NOT working for the few dates I am picking in Jan. How frustrating, now I can see why dl.com got the name dl.dumb. It isn't just the award calendar that is broke...
Can't argue with that. Those IT folks that were brought over from the former NWA are real cracker jacks aren't they.....
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:49 pm

Can't argue with that. Those IT folks that were brought over from the former NWA are real cracker jacks aren't they.....
I don't see why you have to turn this into a PMNW/PMDL thing. It isn't.

We are now ONE. Please move on. (And, FYI, the current IT org is quite balanced between PMNW and PMDL).
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:40 am
Suspended

Does anyone know which fare basis code is needed for a business/first international award for a non-elite? thanks
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by TroyMcClure
Does anyone know which fare basis code is needed for a business/first international award for a non-elite? thanks
You can't see DL award inventory in a GDS, so it doesn't really matter what bucket it comes from. The fare basis will start with CSM and then have a mileage level following it. Why exactly are you asking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.