Wiki Posts
Search

Thank you, FA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Thumbs up Thank you, FA

Last Sunday (I won't mention the details), Mrs.YesLetsDiscuss and I were on separate tickets and on the waiting list for upgrades. I, as a GM was #1 of 8 for upgrade with 4 available, while she was #8. Since we wanted to sit together regardless of the class, I called to add her as a companion, but for some reason that didn't work.

Anyway, I got upgraded at the gate and she didn't. We were among the last to board, so I sat up front and she in the back with the understanding that I would just trade with the person next to her. I informed the FAs about it and after we got to flying altitude, I switched with the guy next to her and sat in the middle seat next to her window seat.

We ordered our drinks and I took out my wallet to pay, but she said she won't take money from me. She did the same for the second round. That was very nice of her! Thank you!

The only thing that sucked big time was letting this guy from Ohio State take my seat in F
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by YesLetsDiscuss
The only thing that sucked big time was letting this guy from Ohio State take my seat in F
So next time tell the gate agent about your situation and they will bypass you if your wife's upgrade doesn't clear. Then they'll upgrade the next eligible medallion, and the F seat won't go to some random person
Old Sep 16, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by hoth300
So next time tell the gate agent about your situation and they will bypass you if your wife's upgrade doesn't clear. Then they'll upgrade the next eligible medallion, and the F seat won't go to some random person
Agreed not fair to the other medallions. When this situation happens I've always accomadated the medallion and comp in Y together even if it's full.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
If he asks to be bypassed, and they were not sitting together, then good luck getting someone in Y to switch to a middle seat. If he earned the upgrade and chose to gave it to someone so he could sit with his wife, that's his prerogative. Although I am strongly opposed to giving anything to an OSU fan.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by houserulz77
If he asks to be bypassed, and they were not sitting together, then good luck getting someone in Y to switch to a middle seat. If he earned the upgrade and chose to gave it to someone so he could sit with his wife, that's his prerogative. Although I am strongly opposed to giving anything to an OSU fan.
O-H-I-O..
We are a fervent lot, but what else do we have in Columbus? Go Buckeyes.
As for the OP, what a generous individual!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by hoth300
+1, that was the best thing to do instead of switching seats with the guy.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Makes sense. Ohio State stole a national championship in 2003 and this guy stole an F seat from the next guy on the upgrade waitlist
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by zsmith2
Agreed not fair to the other medallions. When this situation happens I've always accomadated the medallion and comp in Y together even if it's full.
OP's upgrade should be up to him what he does with it. Its not like he has help from his fellow medallions in achieving status. Nothing to be shared here. If he gave it to his wife is that unfair to other medallions?

Besides I think it was simply tongue in cheek the last sentence. If he was really concerned he could have had his wife swap her window with someone who has not next to a Buckeye and then he could swap with that person.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Glb, Hilton Gold, Marriott AMB, National EE
I agree, not cool at all. Buckeyes should never ride up front.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:52 pm

And then everyone got off the plane and life went on.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by PHLflying
And then everyone got off the plane and life went on.
Life never goes on in FT.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 4:44 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I agree that was very nice of FA.

If it were me, I would have left my wife ride up front with me in the back.

I don't understand the need to sit next to your spouse/partner/children on a few hour plane ride.

On Sunday I switched seats at a request of another passenger so he could sit next to his teenaged son. The son slept the whole flight (all 43 min) so why change? I've also seen these people who ask people to change, not talk to each other the whole flight, they read, listen to music watch movies etc. so again why change.

I guess I have spent too much tie commuting on subways, and taking any seat available and meeting up with the person I am traveling with at out stop.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:54 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by buckeyefan
O-H-I-O..
We are a fervent lot, but what else do we have in Columbus? Go Buckeyes.
As for the OP, what a generous individual!
Note, OHIO is a registered trademark of Ohio University, the Buckeyes lost a lawsuit about 10 years ago!
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Singleflyer
I don't understand the need to sit next to your spouse/partner/children on a few hour plane ride.
I can help with that one.

With airline seats narrow and armrests so small that the elbow battle is an inevitable occurrence, I find it much more pleasant to be sharing body warmth with my wife than with most of the strangers who could be sitting next to me. (And, yes, occasionally I wonder if I might be missing the chance to sit next to some gorgeous blonde...but more often the reality is some 250 lb. dude with a mysterious smell.) Not to mention the other gross things that some seatmates occasionally engage in..bare feet on bulkheads, toenail clipping, tobacco chewing and spitting, etc, etc.

We all deal with the random nasty stuff when flying alone for business - no need to deal with it when flying with family too. Not a big deal on short flights, but all else being equal, better to deal with the devil you know....
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM
My husband and I actually like being near each other, even if we are working on the flight and not being chatty. When we were both golds, we never got seats together when upgraded. On one filght, we asked someone to switch with us so we could sit together. He had no problem with it, as long as he didn't end up sitting next to his wife, who was also in first. A few minutes later, someone else asked him to switch from his new seat, so he could sit with the spouce. A few switches later, he was gloomily sitting next to his wife, who looked happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.