Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta codeshares with Olympic Air?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Delta codeshares with Olympic Air?

As I stepped off the plane in Santorini, the flight attendant thanked everyone for flying Olympic Air and Delta Airlines. What? I didn't know Delta had a codeshare arrangement with Olympic Air.

And aside from the flight attendants, nobody else at Olympic Air (e.g. the check-in desk or the ticketing people) knows about any arrangements with Delta.

There is this old thread from 2009.

I did a quick search via Expert Flyer and found no award seats (or seats in Y class) on Delta between ATH & JTR.

Anyone know what the current codeshare status is? Whether SkyPesos can be accrued on OA flights (or only on flights with DL codes)? And why didn't my reservations agent advise me that I could've added a ATH <-> JTR roundtrip for free onto my award ticket (saving me $400+ in the process ). Oh well, that last question is just rhetorical.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Delta does claim Olympic as a Codeshare Partner.

From the Worldwide Timetable, from Athens:
THIRA, GREECE (JTR) 136 mi
12:00 12:50 7459OA 0 DH4
Disc. Sep. 12
(other intra-Greece codeshared flights continue past Sept 12.)
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the bankrupt (?) then restructured Olympic has now recently with Aegean, which had been privately owned, I believe primarily by a Saudi family. It's mostly Aegean now but they decided to go with the Olympic name. At one time, before all of the Olympic troubles, NW had some sort of an agreement with Aegean making it easy to have both carriers on the same (paid but upgraded with miles) ticket. I liked Aegean very much (new jet planes and good customer service, no strikes) but Olympic was horrid (delays, lost luggage, rude, not ever answering phones, lost luggage, strikes, old propeller aircraft visably falling apart) except for the historical lounge in ATH, where they used to do the red carpet under a cannopy transfer to aircraft with a Mercedes station wagon routine. It was a treat long before carriers like LH started this service.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC the bankrupt (?) then restructured Olympic has now recently with Aegean, which had been privately owned, I believe primarily by a Saudi family. It's mostly Aegean now but they decided to go with the Olympic name. At one time, before all of the Olympic troubles, NW had some sort of an agreement with Aegean making it easy to have both carriers on the same (paid but upgraded with miles) ticket. I liked Aegean very much (new jet planes and good customer service, no strikes) but Olympic was horrid (delays, lost luggage, rude, not ever answering phones, lost luggage, strikes, old propeller aircraft visably falling apart) except for the historical lounge in ATH, where they used to do the red carpet under a cannopy transfer to aircraft with a Mercedes station wagon routine. It was a treat long before carriers like LH started this service.
Aegean recently joined *A. I agree that Aegean is a great airline and Olympic is not!
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:42 am
Original Poster

does this mean the ATH -> JTR flight could be sold with a DL code on it?

can frequent flyer miles be accrued for an OA flight, or only for flights taken with a DL code?

(still aggravated about losing $400+)
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
does this mean the ATH -> JTR flight could be sold with a DL code on it?

can frequent flyer miles be accrued for an OA flight, or only for flights taken with a DL code?
Yes, it was Delta flight 7459. If booked as that it would earn SM.

OA is not listed as a Sky Team Partner on delta.com so you would not earn miles if booked as an OAnnnn flight.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Yes, it was Delta flight 7459. If booked as that it would earn SM.

OA is not listed as a Sky Team Partner on delta.com so you would not earn miles if booked as an OAnnnn flight.
On the delta partner page, itsays we earn miles on OA flights but doesn't say anything about them being delta coded. Ibought my tickets independent of delta, and the fare class appears to be valid on delta.com, but OA agents don't know about the partnership. I guess I'm going to have to send the boarding passes in, but it's such a pain anyone know for sure?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
On the delta partner page, itsays we earn miles on OA flights but doesn't say anything about them being delta coded. Ibought my tickets independent of delta, and the fare class appears to be valid on delta.com, but OA agents don't know about the partnership. I guess I'm going to have to send the boarding passes in, but it's such a pain anyone know for sure?
I am interested as well for my next run to ATH and around Greece.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I think the flight has to be coded as "DL" to receive credit. And for an Olympic Airlines flight to be Delta coded you must be connecting from/to a DL flight.

I just did a dummy booking in Sabre out of curiousity. When I book the flight as an "OA" flight and enter a DL frequent flier number it gives me an error:

FREQUENT TRAVELER AGREEMENT DOES NOT EXIST BETWEEN OA/DL

Also OA is not listed in the DL frequent flyer table in the GDS. So I bet that the OA agents you asked wouldn't have the ability to add it, they'd probably get the error above.

FQTV PARTICIPATING AIRLINE EXCHANGE/PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENTS
----------------------------------------------------------
DL-006 DELTA AIR LINES INC ACCEPTS
AF AM AS AV AZ CI CZ DJ DL G3* HA JM KE
KL MH MU NW OK RO SU VA* VN 9W*
/*/ SEGMENT SPECIFIC ALLOWED

When the flight is coded as DL operated by OA, the DL FF# is accepted with no issues.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyldavid
I think the flight has to be coded as "DL" to receive credit. And for an Olympic Airlines flight to be Delta coded you must be connecting from/to a DL flight.

I just did a dummy booking in Sabre out of curiousity. When I book the flight as an "OA" flight and enter a DL frequent flier number it gives me an error:

FREQUENT TRAVELER AGREEMENT DOES NOT EXIST BETWEEN OA/DL

Also OA is not listed in the DL frequent flyer table in the GDS. So I bet that the OA agents you asked wouldn't have the ability to add it, they'd probably get the error above.

FQTV PARTICIPATING AIRLINE EXCHANGE/PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENTS
----------------------------------------------------------
DL-006 DELTA AIR LINES INC ACCEPTS
AF AM AS AV AZ CI CZ DJ DL G3* HA JM KE
KL MH MU NW OK RO SU VA* VN 9W*
/*/ SEGMENT SPECIFIC ALLOWED

When the flight is coded as DL operated by OA, the DL FF# is accepted with no issues.
Do you have to book the flight under the DL code or do you get credit if you booked it under the OA code, but it is a codeshare? DL needs to update their chart with this info as the web site indicates everyone gets credit when on a valid fare class.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 2:46 am
Original Poster

You apparently don't get the credit unless it's booked under a DL code. Back when I did my flights between ATH and JTR (Santorini), I gave them my DL # for both OA-booked & coded segments and they never arrived in my account. So I had double the reason to be annoyed with DL for that trip (not being able to include those segments to my DL over-water reservation even though they could've been -- and having to pay $$ for the extra island roundtrip tickets; and not getting any miles at all for those flights).

So hopefully my publicizing will increase awareness for future travelers considering a trip (paid or award) to Greece & points within/beyond.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
As of June 1, 2011.... All Olympic Airways flights are Delta mileage eligible with the following:

Business J,C,D,Z Base Miles 100% Class Bonus 50% MQMs NO
Economy Y Base Miles 100% Class Bonus 50% MQMs NO

Dis. Economy
M,L,B,V,X,E,O,N,S,
K,Q,W,U,T Base Miles 100% Class Bonus NO MQMs NO

Class Exclusions: G, I, H

****Award travel to begin later in the year.

Last edited by jwhuffman; Jun 18, 2011 at 10:50 am
Old Jun 19, 2011, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jwhuffman
As of June 1, 2011.... All Olympic Airways flights are Delta mileage eligible with the following:

Business J,C,D,Z Base Miles 100% Class Bonus 50% MQMs NO
Economy Y Base Miles 100% Class Bonus 50% MQMs NO

Dis. Economy
M,L,B,V,X,E,O,N,S,
K,Q,W,U,T Base Miles 100% Class Bonus NO MQMs NO

Class Exclusions: G, I, H

****Award travel to begin later in the year.
That's what I read too, but who knows if DL's clunky computer system will credit the miles
Old Jun 19, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
That's what I read too, but who knows if DL's clunky computer system will credit the miles
Always save BPs when flying partners until the miles have posted.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
I'm hoping Olympic eventually joins Skyteam. Would be great to earn Delta MQMs on their flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.