Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage allowance clarification

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Baggage allowance clarification

Hi all,

I have 2 questions regarding baggage allowance on DL:

1) I flew JFK-MIA in coach last week with my wife and daughter. We checked one bag each and were not charged at all for any of them. AFAIK, DL website states that all checked bags are subject to a USD 25 fee when flying coach (regardless of Skyteam status). Can someone explain the logic behind that or was it just luck ? I have Skyteam Elite + status, paid for the tickets with my Air France - KLM Amex gold card. I also hold a Centurion card (but I doubt that was part of the equation as I did not mention this upon checkin... It did however come in handy to access the DL lounge in JFK).

2) We're flying JFK-FRA in Business Class this week on DL on an AF ticket. Which baggage allowance rules apply ? AF or DL ?

Thanks !
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Were you the international portion on your same reservation? Did you purchase a full Y ticket?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
My guess is your STE+ status exempted you from the fees, though this is not posted on either DL.com or ST.com.

I have been asked whether I had status on UA when checking an overweight bag on LH intra-Europe, so I'm thinking the same logic would apply for baggage fee exemptions on DL for STE+ (if this is not the case, ST would be wise to implement baggage fee exemptions to further strengthen the alliance).
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zsmith2
Were you the international portion on your same reservation? Did you purchase a full Y ticket?
Thanks for your answer.

The international portion was neither on the same reservation nor on the same day. The ticket was not full Y (it was a Q fare on that particular flight ; MIA-JFK return flight in 2 days is a T fare... Should I expect the same treatment/luck ?)
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by fredsxb
Thanks for your answer.

The international portion was neither on the same reservation nor on the same day. The ticket was not full Y (it was a Q fare on that particular flight ; MIA-JFK return flight in 2 days is a T fare... Should I expect the same treatment/luck ?)
Sounds like you got lucky.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLNYC
My guess is your STE+ status exempted you from the fees, though this is not posted on either DL.com or ST.com.

I have been asked whether I had status on UA when checking an overweight bag on LH intra-Europe, so I'm thinking the same logic would apply for baggage fee exemptions on DL for STE+ (if this is not the case, ST would be wise to implement baggage fee exemptions to further strengthen the alliance).
Thanks for your answer too.

DL website clearly states that Skyteam Elite/Elite+ members are subject to the checked baggage fee:
http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/baggage/index.jsp#elite

(I don't really understand the logic behind that though... I mean it would make more sense to me to extend the same privileges granted by other members of the Skyteam alliance to Elite/Elite+ members )
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zsmith2
Sounds like you got lucky.
That's what I thought at the time !!

I asked if I had to pay the fee upon check-in and the check-in agent said no... I didn't go as far as to ask for a detailed explanation, considering myself lucky enough ;-)
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by fredsxb
Thanks for your answer too.

DL website clearly states that Skyteam Elite/Elite+ members are subject to the checked baggage fee:
http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/baggage/index.jsp#elite

(I don't really understand the logic behind that though... I mean it would make more sense to me to extend the same privileges granted by other members of the Skyteam alliance to Elite/Elite+ members )
Thanks for the link. I didn't check the FAQs. Agreed--my guess (hope?) is we will see strengthening of alliance-wide benefits as ST continues to struggle against *A.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Reviving this thread to find out if anyone knows if purhaps ST+ members ARE in fact being allowed extra luggage on AF. AF's website displays the following:

Flying Blue Elite and Skyteam Elite member advantages
Are you a Flying Blue Silver, Gold, or Platinum member? To thank you for your loyalty, you can check an additional baggage item weighing less than 23 kg/50 lb at no extra charge. http://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/com..._airfrance.htm

A bit confusing as the title implies ST elite members would get extra baggage but the text does not bare the same out.

Anyone know the answer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.