Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL announcement: Ticket Window, home page & iPhone app

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL announcement: Ticket Window, home page & iPhone app

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Second of all, FB is notorious for changing things behind the scene and not notifying developers, thereby breaking code which had been working on FB pages. So, you may wake up one morning to find FB broke the ticket window, and you'll have to scramble for a couple days to fix it.

All in all, I give this
Yeeha. Everybody was really clamoring to book tickets through Facebook. Guess there isn't any need to fix delta.com now.

David
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by jfulcher
FYI - Android will have a larger market share than Iphone/Ipad/Itouch by 2012. So I wouldn't hold out too long.
currently the market share stands at:

blackberry 42.1%
iphone 25.4%
windows mobile 15.1%
palm 5.4%

android 9%

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=224201745

i'm not saying it won't happen, but that's some wishful thinking there, jfulcher
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Here's why DL has launched the iPhone app... they want to be cool & sexy:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20013268-71.html
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Yeeha. Everybody was really clamoring to book tickets through Facebook. Guess there isn't any need to fix delta.com now.

David
IMHO, DL management has correctly deduced that they can continue to roll-out a string of glitzy techno-crap that appeals to the 20-somethings, issue self-congratulatory press releases, and effectively defer any efforts to fix the broken parts of DL.dumb.

Sooner or later (after they have spent a few months reveling in the new interface), folks will start realizing that they cannot do on Facebook what they cannot do now on the basic web site.

The nice thing about the Facebook interface will be that they have a convenient way of telling all of their friends about all of the award tickets they were not able to book.

They can even post a photo showing their disappointed countenance.

DL Management... you may now resume your regularly scheduled blue smoke and mirrors magic show.

Sycophants... you may now resume your slavering admiration.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Here's why DL has launched the iPhone app... they want to be cool & sexy:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20013268-71.html
I will use it since I spend so much time on a runway, where your phone is all you can use while waiting.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by troyintn
I will use it since I spend so much time on a runway, where your phone is all you can use while waiting.
Agreed!
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:38 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by squatch

blackberry 42.1%
iphone 25.4%
windows mobile 15.1%
palm 5.4%

android 9%

i'm not saying it won't happen, but that's some wishful thinking there, jfulcher
I think it's reasonable to say that Blackberry penetration is strong in businesses while iPhone is strong on the consumer side. Therefore, I would deduce that Delta is more interested in attracting leisure travelers than business travelers. Does that seem like a smart strategy?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Originally Posted by Beckles
I think it's reasonable to say that Blackberry penetration is strong in businesses while iPhone is strong on the consumer side. Therefore, I would deduce that Delta is more interested in attracting leisure travelers than business travelers. Does that seem like a smart strategy?
Don't know whether it's smart or not, but that clearly seems to be the strategy.

Thanks for something else I won't use, DL. How goes the award calendar?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I think most Kettles would need a Vic-20 app, or if they upgraded to the big house, a Commodore 64 app.
I was thinking of an Atari 2600 app. That way, I can joystick my way into F.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:55 am

Hey I have an idea! How about a joint Delta/"Tron Legacy" app? You can play a Tron game against Delta, and if you win.. free upgrade!!

Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by SkyMilesInsider
Delta just announced the latest in customer-facing technology that will help manage travel plans including our revamped delta.com homepage, Delta Ticket Window and soon to be released iPhone application.

Our full press release can be found here:
http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1098
I'm looking forward to downloading the iPhone app on my iTouch when I get home!

(I was going to start a new thread but this is a better place to explain)

For any Facebook users: DL also has created a Facebook application called the Ticket Window. It is found here. You can book a ticket in its entirety from that page on Facebook. I don't know why such a thing is needed - but it is there. I priced out a ticket already just to see the application. My only negative comment is that there should be a SM login before booking the ticket. Yes, there is a SM# form when purchasing the ticket, but it would be nice to save time and enter before booking the ticket.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by troyintn
Not before take off I hope. All electronics must be turned... off
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me

blackberry 42.1%
iphone 25.4%
windows mobile 15.1%
palm 5.4%

android 9%

maybe sooner than we all think

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/12/g...erating-aroun/
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:02 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
My bet would be within the next month...

Originally Posted by zsmith2
Will there be an Android app?
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Will there be a blackberry app?
Originally Posted by SkyMilesInsider
We know the appetite for both are strong...nothing to announce right now, but we hear you.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI

blackberry 42.1%
iphone 25.4%
windows mobile 15.1%
palm 5.4%
android 9%
I know the iPhone leads the league in look-at-me coolness but the dull, durable Blackberry remains the market leader. Designing for iPhone while ignoring the other platforms is myopia. I've been hanging around digital-creative people for three years now who assume "everybody" has an iPhone because they and all their uber-cool friends do. The market share numbers speak for themselves, and in fact some smart people I know are ditching their iPhones and going back to Blackberry because it's less aggravation. DL should resist the impulse to cater to the hip Apple-enslaved minority, but it looks like they're not.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
IMHO, DL management has correctly deduced that they can continue to roll-out a string of glitzy techno-crap that appeals to the 20-somethings... (but) folks will start realizing that they cannot do on Facebook what they cannot do now on the basic web site.
People who know what they're doing nowadays treat FB very gingerly owing to privacy and data-sharing questions... I wouldn't touch this with a ten-foot pole. I don't necessarily want my friends to know my away-from-home schedule; some look like they could be pretty adept at breaking and entering / grand larceny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.