Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-SYD-LAX Turnaround this weekend

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by iamhereandthere
Nobody said or asked boo about the amount of time I was staying there on either end. Never thought of it being an issue...
Maybe by the time I take my trip next month, there will have been enough of you trailblazers who have already done it, that they won't blink an eye at me.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by StuartMI
My MR is also coming up for this trip. You're all going to tell me I'm crazy, but here goes:

8/22: SYD>LAX>MCO>ATL>STL (PNR #2 and #3)
If you dont mind me asking - how much did that 8/22 MR price out to be? does it consider LAX-MCO-ATL-STL as a valid route from LAX-STL, or did it price out the segments to consider it as a LAX-MCO run and a MCO-STL run just combined?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:10 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLFan2
I am wondering if you linked your 1X and 2X itineraries. I had been thinking of asking DL to link my two PNRs so that if there was an unexpected misconnect, I would not have the 2X itinerary canceled. Even if you did not ask for a link, you have convinced me not to ask for it...if there is a problem, I'll just call and let them know at the time.
Good question. I chose not to link them because of the rule that you must originate and terminate in a 2X city. I was concerned that linking would support a DL claim that the itin began/ended in the 1X city, voiding the T&C even with separate PNR's.

There is an advantage to linking but my thought was better to be safe than deal with a rule fight. Also I figured as a Plat, I could deal with connection issues along the way.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Good question. I chose not to link them because of the rule that you must originate and terminate in a 2X city. I was concerned that linking would support a DL claim that the itin began/ended in the 1X city, voiding the T&C even with separate PNR's.
You did the right thing, no way for Delta to deny you the double miles this way.

I survived the journey, so below is a fairly long post for those who care to read through the detail:

Trip Summary
Positioning ticket (4 segments): PHX-ATL-BNA, BNA-MEM-PHX
Mileage Run ticket (6 segments): BNA-CVG-LAX-SYD-LAX-ATL-BNA
Total Cost: $1174
MQMs (posted): 23,671
MQMs (doubles due): 19,820
Total Miles earned: 78,261

Nothing eventful from PHX-ATL-BNA. Diane in the BNA Skyclub is fantastic, gave her a "well done" certificate as she offered to call ahead to LAX to get me a row 30 seat when they opened up under gate control (I would still be in transit from CVG).

BNA-CVG left late, but CVG-LAX left on time. I had upgrades on all my eligible domestic legs. Landed at LAX on time, but sat on the runway for 25 minutes as our gate was occupied. Called DM Line to get my gate number to SYD as my connection was now going to be under 20 minutes, and was informed that they had automatically rebooked me to the following day. Not impressed. I got a Supervisor on the phone, who fell back on the "the system automatically does it" excuse. I told her that not only did I expect to be put back on the original flight, but that i wanted my original seat assignment and i would not accept a middle seat on a 15 hour TPAC flight.

Delta GA met 7 of us at the gate and RAN us over to the SYD flight. I got 32G instead of 37D, so no big deal. F was sold out and full, coach had maybe 6 open seats. Fed one hour in, snack at halfway, breakfast prior to landing. Took a sleeping pill, watched movies, slept a little. That is one long brutal ride in coach.

Upon arrival in SYD, since I was only staying 3 hours, I just veered toward the International Transfer sign. No request to see my Visa, no questions, no customs, just the usual baggage screening through the machine. Used the New Zealand lounge. Wow! Very nice! Private shower facilities, nice food offerings, free WiFi.

SYD-LAX was sold out in both cabins. Again, they moved my seat from 37D to 31D right behind row 30. Caution: row 30 sounds like a great deal due to the legroom, but you had better like screaming babies for 13-15 hours because that is where families with small children are seated (changing stations are anchored to the bulkhead wall, so you may even get to experience a poopy diaper change up close and personal).

AVOD didnt work on the way back. They tried to reboot 6 times and finally gave up. Imagine 13 hours of screaming babies and poopy diapers with no AVOD to distract you. Thank God the beer was free. The worst part is that when they reboot, it cuts electrical to every outlet. I lost computer spreadsheets 6 times (bad battery on my laptop).

Landed in LAX. Zipped thru customs, simply told him "mileage run" and we got into a very pleasant discussion about how many miles it was, was it worth it, etc. I changed my flights with SDC to get back to Nashville more quickly (right into F, no problem).

Stayed overnight in Nashville, left early Monday for BNA-MEM. Boarded MEM-PHX to hear "we have a maintenance hold". Here's the highlight of my trip; the Captain proceeds to tell everyone that the ground crew in MEM took the landing gear pins off our plane to repair another aircraft, and that we now had to wait for replacements to be flown in because we cannot take off without them. Since when is DL cannibalizing in-service aircraft for spare parts?

We were delayed almost 4 hours, got our $6 voucher, so I worked from the Skyclub all morning.

Recap: $1174 cost - $200 AVOD voucher - $100 maintenance hold voucher = $874 net cost for 43,591 MQM = $0.02/mile.

PHX departure 8/13 to BNA landing 8/15 was 58 consecutive hours of plane/airport with no break covering 8 segments. Thank God for my portable DVD player, laptop computer, 2 Ipods, 4 books and fantasy football magazine. Bring changes of clothes, sleeping aids, bathroom necessities and snacks. I'd do it again, but only for a similar huge miles score.

Last edited by jeff30189; Aug 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Hey Jeff
Welcome back!

Your post actually answered some of the questions I planned to ask (e.g. wi-fi availability).

I plan to do the same quick turn next month. Here are a couple of questions for you...

1. Boarding pass for the return trip...did you get it at your arrival gate or somewhere else? And did you need it to pass through security at the International Transfer entrance?

2. I also have row 31 for one of my TPACs. It sounds like you had a power port. I thought row 30 was the only coach row with power ports. Please clarify.

3. Power in the Air New Zealand lounge...were there any North American style outlets, or will I definitely need to bring an Aussie adapter?

4. Was Diane successful in getting you a row 30 seat, and you lost it due to the tight connection problem, or do you even know?

Thanks for your time, and again, welcome home!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
3. Power in the Air New Zealand lounge...were there any North American style outlets, or will I definitely need to bring an Aussie adapter?
I was there yesterday and as far as I could tell, there were only Australian plugs, so bring an adapter along.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite

1. Boarding pass for the return trip...did you get it at your arrival gate or somewhere else? And did you need it to pass through security at the International Transfer entrance?

I did not have it in advance, but went to my SYD gate #53 with my paperwork and told the screener that I had to get one from the DL GA. Just had to bring it back and show him afterwards.

2. I also have row 31 for one of my TPACs. It sounds like you had a power port. I thought row 30 was the only coach row with power ports. Please clarify.

There are a couple online sites that show the power grid for the 777. Outlets in the forward coach section thru row 41, but not in the aft coach section.

I forgot to bring this up! I neglected to bring an adapter, but the Lounge Desk has a dozen spares to borrow in return for leaving your boarding pass.

4. Was Diane successful in getting you a row 30 seat, and you lost it due to the tight connection problem, or do you even know?

I have no way of knowing as I was bumped to the next day and was lucky to even get back on the flight.

Last edited by jeff30189; Aug 17, 2010 at 3:11 pm
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by jeff30189
SYD-LAX was sold out in both cabins. Again, they moved my seat from 37D to 31D right behind row 30. Caution: row 30 sounds like a great deal due to the legroom, but you had better like screaming babies for 13-15 hours because that is where families with small children are seated (changing stations are anchored to the bulkhead wall, so you may even get to experience a poopy diaper change up close and personal).
Row 30 is indeed the bassinet row. I was originally assigned 30G on the return but moved to 30C - in a subtle manner I had suggested I would part with 30G for an OpUp if there were infants on the flight but the response was a laugh and "no infants booked on this one"

And the Air NZ Lounge is indeed fantastic.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Doing the SYD run this weekend

Thanks Jeff for the useful information. I am doing TVC-DTW-LAX-SYD-LAX-DTW-TVC this weekend with that 3 hour turn around and I have stashed a towel, soap, adapter, and snacks among other items suggested in this thread.
Anyone else doing the run this weekend on Delta?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by tc fly girl
I am doing TVC-DTW-LAX-SYD-LAX-DTW-TVC this weekend with that 3 hour turn around and I have stashed a towel, soap, adapter, and snacks among other items suggested in this thread.
Anyone else doing the run this weekend on Delta?
Me.

I'm in SLC right now and in an hour will be boarding SLC>SFO>LAX>SYD.

My flight from STL>SLC got cancelled so I actually did some even crazier routing -- and got all the upgrades:

8/19: DTW>STL
8/20: STL>ATL>LAS>SLC>SFO>LAX>SYD
8/22: SYD>LAX>MCO>ATL>STL
8/23: STL>DTW

Again, the 8/19 and 8/23 flights are on a separate PNR.

I've been upgraded for every domestic flight and even got an op-up already for the return from SYD>LAX (yaaay!). And, since I have two coach seats going LAX>SYD tonight, I'll be - hopefully - more comfortable.

I'm pretty tired now -- sitting in the SLC Sky Club -- I'm sure by the end of this I will be drooling all over myself. Let's hope I can get some decent sleep going to/from SYD.

Will probably grab a shower tonight in LAX if I have time before I board to go to SYD, then another in SYD, then another back in LAX upon the return. I'm sure my neighbours will appreciate it
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by StuartMI
I've been upgraded for every domestic flight and even got an op-up already for the return from SYD>LAX (yaaay!). And, since I have two coach seats going LAX>SYD tonight, I'll be - hopefully - more comfortable.
Wow, that's impressive about the op-up 2 days out. Didn't get mine until the gate -- well, actually at the NZ lounge before the flt.

Wonder if the secret is to purchase 2 tix(?). Just curious, what's your elite status?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
"Home" as in back in the USA...

Bringing documentation as you describe is an excellent idea.
yes it is. I did a MR JFK to LHR and spent the night. Immigration in LHR questioned me and wouldnt let me through and into the country without documentation. I told them that since it was an E-ticket, I didnt have a copy of my itinerary with me. This delay easily took several hours to clear up. Next time I do a MR I will have all the documentation I need, and then some.

Immigrations forced me to find a delta transfer desk, get a copy of my itinerary, and then they would let me proceed.

Last edited by DL2SXM; Aug 21, 2010 at 8:02 am
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
your all nuts!

I mean, I've done plenty of MR's and still do them. Im doing LGA to ORD in a few weeks. Triple MQMs and miles. Under a 2 hour flight each way. I've done JFK to LHR and other JFK to European cities, but I've spent the night and then returned. BUT

I cant believe there are so many people doing USA to SYD flights and not even spending one night!

I've done JFK to NRT and spent the night before returning home, I thought that was crazy.

Let me ask you, what do your family and friends think when you tell them your doing this? My work comrades think Im nuts for the MRs I do.

anyway, I'm jealous , and now looking at doing my own MR to SYD! However, not sure if I want to spend the night or not, or just return home immediately and get it over with?

One last question, there is a promo of double MQMs from BNA to SYD? If so, is it still active? Do you have to originate your travels from BNA or can you connect through? thanks@!!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MachOne
They will feed you three times in coach. Dinner, snack and breakfast down and lunch, snack and breakfast back. You will not be allowed to carry any food thru the Australian ag inspection.
@MachOne, are you saying you can't bring ANY food thru customs? Packaged stuff - granola bars, crackers, candy, etc.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
One last question, there is a promo of double MQMs from BNA to SYD? If so, is it still active? Do you have to originate your travels from BNA or can you connect through? thanks@!!
BNA is one of four spoke cities in this promo (the others are RDU/STL/PIT). Same deal from all of them. There have been a few threads about this promo so I assume you can find them by search. Here's the one for BNA...

https://www.delta.com/pet/doublemqmB.../?soac=scllbna

If interested in a MR, you might want to periodically check out the MR forum...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.