Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-SYD-LAX Turnaround this weekend

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by jeff30189
1. Op/Up expectations?
Possible if Y is overbooked. There were about four or five op-ups when I flew LAX-SYD in May.

... is there even a chance that DL is moving DMs forward if FC seats are empty?
No.

What is the customs turnaround screening like? Is it fairly routine, or should I expect a grilling about why I'd come all the way to SYD to not even leave the airport only to board another plane 3 hours later?
You are transient, so you should not need to clear immigration or customs. If you do plan to enter Australia, you need an electronic visa. As I understand it, to make a transfer within Concourse C, you got towards the immigration area and take a LEFT towards an elevator or escalator, take it up to the departure level, and then go to the transfer desk between gates 54 and 56. Do not go towards the right towards Concourse B where the main transfer desk is located. That is for QANTAS and affiliated connections.

I assume you are only taking a carry-on.

Food offerings in coach?
Standard. Hot dinner/lunch, cold snack, hot breakfast.

Any suggestions on what to bring to make a marathon MR bearable besides the obvious comfort, sleep, distraction items?
Yes. The public restroom in the SYD airport by gate 52 has shower facilities. Take a towel, soap, and a change of clothes if you want to refresh yourself.

I would seriously consider getting the electronic visa and spending the night in the Sydney area, although I know Sydney hotels are pricey. If you are flying BNA-ATL-LAX-SYD-LAX-ATL-BNA you are talking about 42 hours in airplanes over about 50 total hours. The most I have ever done is 24 hours in airplanes in about 32 hours going from Bangalore to ATL via SIN and LAX.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by meh130
Possible if Y is overbooked. There were about four or five op-ups when I flew LAX-SYD in May.

No.

You are transient, so you should not need to clear immigration or customs. If you do plan to enter Australia, you need an electronic visa. As I understand it, to make a transfer within Concourse C, you got towards the immigration area and take a LEFT towards an elevator or escalator, take it up to the departure level, and then go to the transfer desk between gates 54 and 56. Do not go towards the right towards Concourse B where the main transfer desk is located. That is for QANTAS and affiliated connections.

I assume you are only taking a carry-on.

Standard. Hot dinner/lunch, cold snack, hot breakfast.

Yes. The public restroom in the SYD airport by gate 52 has shower facilities. Take a towel, soap, and a change of clothes if you want to refresh yourself.

I would seriously consider getting the electronic visa and spending the night in the Sydney area, although I know Sydney hotels are pricey. If you are flying BNA-ATL-LAX-SYD-LAX-ATL-BNA you are talking about 42 hours in airplanes over about 50 total hours. The most I have ever done is 24 hours in airplanes in about 32 hours going from Bangalore to ATL via SIN and LAX.
Even if the OP does not plan to enter Australia, I suspect he will not be allowed to board the flight to SYD unless he has a visa.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLFan2
Even if the OP does not plan to enter Australia, I suspect he will not be allowed to board the flight to SYD unless he has a visa.
It might be possible to avoid the visa by using the international transfer desk. Of course, that means never leaving a limited portion of the airport. It is easy to contact Australian immigration for a definitive answer.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
It might be possible to avoid the visa by using the international transfer desk. Of course, that means never leaving a limited portion of the airport. It is easy to contact Australian immigration for a definitive answer.

I doubt that will fly. Without the ETA it will go something like this:

1. Upon check in DL will check his US passport.

2. A cross check with the Australia ETA database will be made.

3. Without a ETA the agent will say "I'm sorry I cannot check you in since you do not have the necessary visa".

4. You explain that it's a mileage run and and you don't need a visa.

5. The agent says no you are not going.

and so it goes......

MO
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, National Emarald Isle, several others...
Correct. Delta will not board anyone traveling to SYD (no matter what the reason) unless they have and ETA to enter the country. My cousin was denied boarding the flight to SYD because the agent could not locate his ETA. Luckily I had paperwork with me proving that he had purchased the Visa. It's only $20AUD, better to be safe then sorry.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by jet321
Correct. Delta will not board anyone traveling to SYD (no matter what the reason) unless they have and ETA to enter the country. My cousin was denied boarding the flight to SYD because the agent could not locate his ETA. Luckily I had paperwork with me proving that he had purchased the Visa. It's only $20AUD, better to be safe then sorry.
That's what I did - I got the ETA figuring I'd never get out of LAX without it. Plus, the return on 8/15 is overbooked in both F and J, so if I get lucky enough to get bumped I can spend a night in SYD on DL and negotiate an Op/Up for the next day.

To make things worse I have a PHX-BNA on either end of the BNA-LAX-SYD-LAX-BNA (2 records to make sure I get the BNA origination double miles bonus), so its literally a three day marathon of flights. Thankfully everything else has been upgraded to F.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by jeff30189
Making a MR to take advantage of the favorable double miles promo out of BNA, extending it thru LAX to SYD and back based on the low SYD fares recently.
How many total MQMs do you calculate receiving for this Herculean MR?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by number21
How many total MQMs do you calculate receiving for this Herculean MR?
When factoring the BNA bonus in Y, (http://www.delta.com/bnabonus) BNA-ATL-LAX-SYD and back nets 39,736 MQMs and for SMs:

Dirt: 44,868
FO: 49,835
GM/PM: 64,736
DM: 69,703
Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by MachOne
I doubt that will fly. Without the ETA it will go something like this:

1. Upon check in DL will check his US passport.

2. A cross check with the Australia ETA database will be made.

3. Without a ETA the agent will say "I'm sorry I cannot check you in since you do not have the necessary visa".

4. You explain that it's a mileage run and and you don't need a visa.

5. The agent says no you are not going.

and so it goes......

MO
Ah, good point. The problem will be here, not on the Australian end where it would be easy to simply deny entry.

Had a problem once flying through mainland China without a visa. In the end I was right -- not required -- but paid the price by having them hold me for hours.

That's okay, watched Spy Game on my iPhone and suddenly relating to the scenes of Brad Pitt in Su Chow prison. Lesson learned, Chinese police have NO sense of humor.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 6:30 am
TOB

Programs: Delta GM
As a newcomer to the FT scene, this MR plot is so intriguing! I'm jealous of such a feat cause I don't think my wife would be too keen on me flying 42/50 hours in one weekend. However, as a physician, I seriously hope you get into an exit row and wear compression socks to prevent DVTs. An aspirin or two couldn't hurt either! Good luck!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by BNA-WNFan
When factoring the BNA bonus in Y, (http://www.delta.com/bnabonus) BNA-ATL-LAX-SYD and back nets 39,736 MQMs and for SMs:

Dirt: 44,868
FO: 49,835
GM/PM: 64,736
DM: 69,703
And don't forget the 25K RDM bonus for international travel. Me and fiance are doing this MR next weekend - BNA-DTW-LAX-SYD-LAX-ATL-BNA. Unfortunately seats available all throughout coach. No opportunity to op-up, but the Row 30 note is a good one that we'll try in the lounge before the flight.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Originally Posted by MemphisQueen
And don't forget the 25K RDM bonus for international travel. Me and fiance are doing this MR next weekend - BNA-DTW-LAX-SYD-LAX-ATL-BNA. Unfortunately seats available all throughout coach. No opportunity to op-up, but the Row 30 note is a good one that we'll try in the lounge before the flight.
Just note if you're interested in row 30 on the return to ask at check-in in SYD and if you don't get what you need there ask again when the gate area opens, about an hour or so before flight, as the lounge in SYD won't help there.

Probably good to note that the block off the gate area for the flight so that once the departure gate opens they do random screenings of passengers. I wasn't selected (I'm too pretty for that, ha!).

Good luck!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by iamhereandthere
Probably good to note that the block off the gate area for the flight so that once the departure gate opens they do random screenings of passengers. I wasn't selected (I'm too pretty for that, ha!).
Apparently I am not too pretty(!) because I got selected for screening by US Customs on the return. Told the guy it was a wise selection since I was born in DC on July 4th. His response: "Really, you were born in 1778?"

1778? Yep, we hire only the best and brightest at US Customs.

Gotta work on getting prettier.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
I just bit the bullet and booked BNA-SYD-BNA for a mileage run in September. Right now, plenty of seats in coach, so little hope for op-up.

As I reached the final steps in the booking process, I got the dreaded "the price for this trip has changed" message. BUT it was good news--a DECREASE of about $50.

I am not totally committed to this yet, but at least I can cancel by tomorrow evening if I change my mind.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
As I reached the final steps in the booking process, I got the dreaded "the price for this trip has changed" message. BUT it was good news--a DECREASE of about $50.
What was the final price for this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.