Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-SYD-LAX Turnaround this weekend

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Observations about Club Access

I returned from a LAX-SYD-MEL-SYD-LAX trip yesterday. I flew coach, am a DL plat (Skyteam Elite+), and have these observations on the lounge access issues:

The SYD-MEL segments are flown on Virgin Blue (DJ). They allow lounge access in the DJ lounge in the SYD domestic terminal to Delta Skyteam+ flyers booked on the DL codeshare flight to MEL. They do the same at the MEL airport, but unfortunately the MEL-SYD return leaves at 6am and DJ's MEL lounge is not open that early.

Skyteam Elite+ have lounge access before departure at both LAX and SYD. DL flyers use the Air New Zealand lounge at the SYD airport. The lounge lady at SYD will check your name off of a list. She quickly found my name, but could not find my traveling companion's name -- either because her copy of the list was cut off at the bottom or DL omitted it. Regardless, my wife also had a DL platinum card, and was admitted. The SYD lounge lady was trying to be reasonable and not boot out someone entitled to access. (In the end, I don't know whether my wife got admitted because she had a DL plat card or simply because she was with me.)

Last edited by Bowgie; Sep 8, 2010 at 11:55 am Reason: clear up wording a little
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:57 am

Were your "wife" and your "traveling companion" one and the same?

A DL Plat is eligible for NZ lounge access. The card proved eligibility (along with the BP showing she was traveling on the eligible flight).
Old Sep 8, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Lockers in SYD?

OK...yet another question. Are there lockers available in the SYD airport? I don't plan to take a lot of stuff on this MR, but I'd rather not lug my laptop and other things into town if I don't have to.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by DLFan2
OK...yet another question. Are there lockers available in the SYD airport? I don't plan to take a lot of stuff on this MR, but I'd rather not lug my laptop and other things into town if I don't have to.
There are no lockers but there is a baggage storage option at Terminal A. If you are going to go into the city keep in mind that its Monday morning in Sydney and the middle of peak hour.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
If you are going to go into the city keep in mind that its Monday morning in Sydney and the middle of peak hour.
Can you be more specific? i.e. "the trains will be crowded," or something else? Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond since inception
I have followed this thread from the beginning and I go tomorrow on my SYD alternate MR tomorrow - PIT-SIN-PIT.

it's been fun following my other choice MR.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by hoosiereph
Can you be more specific? i.e. "the trains will be crowded," or something else? Thanks.
The trains and stations are going to be crowded. The trains that go through the airport actual regular suburban trains which will have daily commuters in the morning. Traffic is pretty bad if you decide to take a cab into the CBD. I make the point because many who do the mileage run (especially on UA) give a description of what they do like going down to Circular Quay and have a leisurely breakfast which is usually on a Sunday. On a Monday Circular Quay is a little less leisurely. You have the commuters coming of the ferry and trains, picking up their morning paper and coffee.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
The trains and stations are going to be crowded. The trains that go through the airport actual regular suburban trains which will have daily commuters in the morning. Traffic is pretty bad if you decide to take a cab into the CBD. I make the point because many who do the mileage run (especially on UA) give a description of what they do like going down to Circular Quay and have a leisurely breakfast which is usually on a Sunday. On a Monday Circular Quay is a little less leisurely. You have the commuters coming of the ferry and trains, picking up their morning paper and coffee.
My run was on a Thursday / Friday in August but I essentially (with the Express pass but questioning about the mileage run) breezed into the city with no checked bags. I'm certain I was already in my room at the Park Hyatt by 7:30 a.m.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by icurhere2
My run was on a Thursday / Friday in August but I essentially (with the Express pass but questioning about the mileage run) breezed into the city with no checked bags. I'm certain I was already in my room at the Park Hyatt by 7:30 a.m.
Ah a Friday work day in Sydney - now that is something missing. There is a reason why most workplaces call it "casual friday" on top of the clothing reasons.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Ah a Friday work day in Sydney - now that is something missing. There is a reason why most workplaces call it "casual friday" on top of the clothing reasons.
There might have been 6 people in the train car Thursday morning and 2 on Friday morning.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by garyrosendahl
I stole nothing from Delta or NZ. And I can tell you my integrity is fully intact. See ya
It's quite apparent that your command of the English language is about as strong as your ethics. In response to "your full of yourself" (which, btw, should be "you're) - thats clearly not true.

Last time I checked, stealing was the act of knowingly taking something for which you are not eligible or paid for. You clearly knew you weren't eligible, and threw your domestic boarding passes at the desk of Air New Zealand, in an attempt to confuse and mislead her (which you readily admit). When she said she didnt know why you weren't on the list - you had a clear opportunity to tell her the truth, but failed to do so. That's being deceptive, lying, and stealing (as you enjoyed the services of a lounge that Delta and Air New Zealand are providing). Clearly your integrity is NOT intact, and you, my friend, are ethically challenged. Regardless if you have a SkyClub membership - this is not a SkyClub lounge.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
You are of course entitled to your opinion. Thank you.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hey Flying High just wanna call your attention to the rules, i. e. no personal attacks. This looks like a personal attack on this fellow. Normally, folks who attack other folks like this have ethic problems of their own. Is this true of you? Take a chill man. The only thing he did was go into a club. So just cool it.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Well, returning to the theme of this thread, I am sitting in the LAX SkyClub, about two hours from boarding DL17. It has already been a long day with first departure at 5:30 CDT. Four flights, four SkyClubs, and very importantly, four upgrades.

The male lounge dragon at BNA told me he did a MR to SYD recently and that the trip in Y was "not bad".

I was able to take a shower here at LAX, and that was refreshing. Also was able to grab 30A (I decided on the window so that I could lean against it to sleep). The back of the plane has several three seat sections that are completely open, but I'd rather be able to make a quick escape on arrival, have some leg room, and a power port. Hope I made the right decision.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta DM-KM,BA,AA,HH,MRTPlat,Choice
Let us know how it went

Originally Posted by DLFan2
Well, returning to the theme of this thread, I am sitting in the LAX SkyClub, about two hours from boarding DL17. It has already been a long day with first departure at 5:30 CDT. Four flights, four SkyClubs, and very importantly, four upgrades.

The male lounge dragon at BNA told me he did a MR to SYD recently and that the trip in Y was "not bad".

I was able to take a shower here at LAX, and that was refreshing. Also was able to grab 30A (I decided on the window so that I could lean against it to sleep). The back of the plane has several three seat sections that are completely open, but I'd rather be able to make a quick escape on arrival, have some leg room, and a power port. Hope I made the right decision.
I look forward to seeing your thoughts on the trip. I'm taking my MR from BNA-SYD in late October but have chosen to spend 24 hours in SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.