FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   [Consolidated] Award Ticket Upgrades Are Here! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1114282-consolidated-award-ticket-upgrades-here.html)

Smaug Aug 9, 2010 10:38 am

This needs to be answered officially by DL...

Where in the upgrade priority list do DM/PM/GM award tix go? Do they come after paid FO (Silver) tickets or something else?

This was discussed in the other thread, but I'm not sure if a definitive answer was found.

GUWonder Aug 9, 2010 11:21 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 14448264)
Note: the rules are possibly being changed which is why DL asked that the original thread be closed becuase it was causing too much speculation. My replies deal with the info we had a few days ago.

DL management not only has a messed up message, DL management is also failing to control the message even when attempting to control the message.

If DL management were to get their way with every thread where "the rules are possibly being changed" and such a thread is causing "much speculation", there would be a lot more disappeared threads. Fortunately that is more the exception than the norm. Even more fortunately, there's this opportunity for more people to get insight into DL's way of doing business.

RobOnLI Aug 9, 2010 11:56 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 14448806)
DL management not only has a messed up message, DL management is also failing to control the message even when attempting to control the message.

I tried PM'ing you but your Inbox is full.
-RM

The Mileage Millionaire Aug 9, 2010 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Smaug (Post 14448533)
This needs to be answered officially by DL...

Where in the upgrade priority list do DM/PM/GM award tix go? Do they come after paid FO (Silver) tickets or something else?

This was discussed in the other thread, but I'm not sure if a definitive answer was found.

Umm...don't you think that would be in the announcement? In the meantime, I don't think DL will be answering anything on this subject.

Robert Leach Aug 9, 2010 2:24 pm

In the original thread, there was a contradiction between what the internal memo said and what was on Delta.com as to upgrade priority when requesting Medallion upgrades on an award ticket. I suspect it was closed whilst that contradiction was sorted out, as it was a fairly big difference.

The internal memo said that upgrades from award tickets would be processed in line with normal upgrade windows (i.e., PMs and DMs would clear at the 5 day window), while the website said it would be done at the 24 hour mark after the FOs had cleared.

Given this significant disparity between policies, it actually makes sense to pull it rather than leave it on here and get a whole lotta panties in a wad.

Of course, there are still plenty of panties in a wad, so sometimes you just can't win.

And it does speak to the generally discombobulated operation that is Delta marketing/SkyMiles/promotions, etc. The right hand is rarely in sync with the left hand. I mean, upgrades from award tickets have only been in the planning stage for about 18 months now, so one can certainly understand why the policy wasn't yet firmly established. :rolleyes:

ADLFO Aug 9, 2010 2:38 pm

Were reciprocal u/gs between DL and AS a part of the memo?

SamuelS Aug 9, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm disappointed the thread was deleted with no reference. I thought I was going mad, I searched through 5 pages trying to find it again and it was just completely missing!

I'd be curious from the Mods for the reason for the deletion of a 10+ page thread that had some valuable information.

I certainly hope that Delta corporate office doesn't have some kind of sway over FT in dictating what can or cannot be discussed on these boards.

RobOnLI Aug 9, 2010 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by ADLFO (Post 14450188)
Were reciprocal u/gs between DL and AS a part of the memo?

Negative.

Originally Posted by SamuelS (Post 14450459)
I'm disappointed the thread was deleted with no reference. I thought I was going mad, I searched through 5 pages trying to find it again and it was just completely missing!

I'd be curious from the Mods for the reason for the deletion of a 10+ page thread that had some valuable information.

I certainly hope that Delta corporate office doesn't have some kind of sway over FT in dictating what can or cannot be discussed on these boards.

I think the issue is that the thread was started by an internal DL employee, not someone on the boards who was "speculating" or saying, "hey, I overheard this...". The DL employee may not have been authorized to say anything about the internal memo. But, my comment is simply speculation and you can probably be sure there will never be official word on why the thread was deleted.

-RM

davisew Aug 9, 2010 4:24 pm

...10+ page thread that had some valuable information...

There were a few good nuggets in there, but I suspect the deletion was more due to the fact that the thread deteriorated into a gloves-off brawl between a handful of members. Easier to delete the whole thing vs. trying to clean it up.

Nothing like one group of Medallions thinking that another is going to be "stealing" their upgrades to get everybody's britches in a bind...

StayingHomeIsBetter Aug 9, 2010 4:25 pm

1) I, too.

2) You won't hear an explanation.

3) Why would this surprise you? I have long ago disabled all of the banner ads on FT but, if IIRC, DL spends a lot of advertising dollars here.

I fully suspect that 3) is also the reason we have never been given a sticky thread on the award calendar and/or LOW award availability.

But, I can only speculate, since we have never been given an explanation of why the B/E upgrade complaint warrants a sticky but the %$#^$ award calendar and LOW availability do not.

RobertS975 Aug 9, 2010 6:04 pm

I suppose that one could say that the thread being referred to by so many had a "premature evacuation", to coin a phrase!

SeaClay007 Aug 9, 2010 6:29 pm

If they indeed deleted it, then the mods need to justify removing the thread.

exwannabe Aug 9, 2010 7:28 pm

I think that many of us appreciate the posts of the OP of the deleted thread. If HE decided that it was a mistake and asked for it to be deleted, then I think the mods were certainly correct and need not explain themselves.

This does not smell of any devious behavour on anybodies part. Maybe somebody made a mistake (and we have no idea who), but who cares?

Presumably at some point the UG story will be clear.

andymo99 Aug 9, 2010 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe (Post 14451798)
I think that many of us appreciate the posts of the OP of the deleted thread. If HE decided that it was a mistake and asked for it to be deleted, then I think the mods were certainly correct and need not explain themselves...

OP's do not "own" their threads once they create them. While you can delete your own text, you shouldn't be able to dictate the removal of an entire thread just because you are the OP. You have chosen to start a public discussion... you don't get to take "backsies" at whim.

Two dangerous precendents (seemingly) at play here:
1) Deletion of threads b/c of airline request (allegedly).
2) Deletion of thread w/o reference (let alone explanation).

Both are bad precedents.

mersk862 Aug 9, 2010 7:51 pm

For those wishing to discuss moderator actions, I would suggest someone PM the mods to re-open this thread which was designed to discuss such actions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...vacuation.html