Wiki Posts
Search

Dreading 4 hours at DTW... What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Dreading 4 hours at DTW... What to do?

So I have a SkyClub membership, but other than that, I was wondering if the PMNW folks could give me an idea of what to do at DTW with a four hour layover. I've only flown into there a few times to go to the NAIAS and never spent much time. Of course, there's probably plenty of the PMDL folks that could chime in too.

Thanks for any good ideas you can pass on!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
If there is any DL hub to have a long layover at, this is the one. Nicest airport in the United States (in my humble opinion). There are plenty of restaurants and bars. The SkyClub isn't bad. Go to the Grey Goose vodka lounge or the Vino wine bar or get a good meal somewhere.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:18 pm

I'll second the post above. I absolutely adore Vino. Pretty much the best airport stop that I ever make. I definitely wouldn't dread DTW at all; interesting views (aside from the dots on the windows) and lots of retail/food establishments to browse.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:18 pm

Motown Store...

If you're at all into music, the Motown Store is worth a nose around in!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Do not dread four hours at DTW! When I was a NW guy I used to look forward to my DTW layovers! Much better place to get stuck than ATL or JFK, and more amenities than SLC. The clubs at either end of the main / A concourse at DTW are smaller, quieter, and more intimate and pleasant than the big one at the center... and, um, stay out of that Chili's. Otherwise you'll have a great time.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Stop in at Oxygen and get a massage! Not expensive, you can shop for luggage at Wilson, there is also a great Sushi restaurant there. DTW is a great place for a long layover
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:33 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
This skyclub at DTW has a shower.

That's a good way to burn some time during a lay-over.

Terminal, gate level at the link, across from Gate A38
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Also with that much time you can get a gym pass at the Westin for $15. They have a decent gym and showers. The hotel has it's own TSA entrance and is connected to the airport.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:53 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Originally Posted by troyintn
Also with that much time you can get a gym pass at the Westin for $15. They have a decent gym and showers. The hotel has it's own TSA entrance and is connected to the airport.
Or even a day room at the Westin (SPG cat 4, phone (734) 942-6500) - the "1/2 day rate" is only good til 6pm and then it becomes a full day's rental - the full day is sometimes cheaper than the the 1/2 day rate, too - since the 1/2 day is based on their rack rate.

Last edited by wbl-mn-flyer; Aug 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
And the best part----You will be amazed at how clean and uncrowded the airport is and how good a Sky Club can actually be. Especially if your only experience is with ATL
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ride the train and explore the psychadelic tunnel between the A and B/C (commuter) gates. If you're a SkyClub member, go lounge hopping and visit all four. Check out the shops. Write something on one of the remaining rocks/stones close to the main club entrance. Enjoy the architecture, featured in "Up in the Air." Look at airplanes. Have fun!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond / Delta Plat
Booked an award ticket one time and had a 5 hour layover at DTW.... GREAT experience. Almost like a vacation! I actually did spend a few hours at Vino and had a blast. Didn't spend a fortune either. Then got to spend some time on the train and through the tunnel like the other poster suggested. Also left out of security into the Westin hotel and enjoyed some time in a leather lounger near the bar. I don't have a SkyClub membership so this was a real treat. Very nice layover...
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP
+1 on the comments that DTW is a fine place for a layover. It is my favorite hub too to be "stuck" at.

The central SkyClub in the A gates have lockers so you can drop your stuff off. This is usually my first stop so I don't have to lug it allaround.

The Westin gym pass is nice, especially if you are like me and will feel like a lump after sitting on an airplane all day. (Be sure to not trade in your ID for the locker key, you will need it to get back through security, of course! ) You also get access to the pool and hot tub if you're interested in a soak.

The tunnel is fun, the B/C concourse is usually quieter and it has stores that are not found in A. Fuddruckers is my favorite...hey I didn't go to the gym for nothing!

Using the showers was suggested and I was blown away by how nice they are. Clean, modern and spacious. They had done a great job at keeping them up and I was very impressed.

Of course you could always lounge next to the huge second floor windows overlooking the main entrance, snickering at the peasents as they scurry about while you relax, sipping on your favorite libation. That may just be me, though.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
+1 to all.

DTW is like a new, big mall. Very clean, great shops, good restaurants (Soba for Sushi IIRC) and if you want to wander outside (leave you bag in the SC) you can walk across to the parking garage and watch some AC activity. Really a good place for a long layover.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM FC 3MM, AA Platinum, UA 1K
Sushi - If you like it. Just discovered the Japanese / Sushi restaurant. Good, and reasonable (for airports).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.