Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyClub "Light" is being considered for smaller focus cities. What's most important?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyClub "Light" is being considered for smaller focus cities. What's most important?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mersk862
The new Jacksonville lounge is actually rather nice (and small). If that (with a self-serve bar; in the old lounge, the CRC agent was the bartender, in the new one they had an actual barkeep) is what a new SC Light is like, I'd be very happy. The new JAX facility is much nicer than the old one and is one of the better SCs in the system.
That's nice to hear, but pre-merger (which is what was being compared), the JAX lounge (and MIA from what I here) were not so hot.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LBJ
Been in the JAX lounge? It feels like someones living room. Both airlines had their share of nice and not-so-nice lounges. Can we give this a rest? Perhaps we should discuss DL's wonderful JFK facilities? What kind of "culture" does that present?
My point was different: NW was never a good airline when it came to quality service and leading edge products. The new DTW complex is an exception.

DL until Ron Allen got there was a top notch airline.

The merger was between two pretty average airlines. NW had been on a bit of an upswing, DL on a decade long decline.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by LBJ
That's nice to hear, but pre-merger (which is what was being compared), the JAX lounge (and MIA from what I here) were not so hot.
Indeed - both the JAX and MIA clubs have seen significant improvements with their new facilities in the past two years (the MIA club was downright poor; it would be in the conversation with ATL B10 as the worst club facilities-wise in the system).
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:18 am

Upscale existing clubs rather than adding lesser ones

If Delta has the resources to place into clubs, i'd much rather have the food returned to hub clubs, such as ATL, JFK, rather than opening scaled back clubs. The range of services in "full-service" clubs already has been scaled back. It was my understanding that earlier cuts were made to assure consistency among all clubs.

I would fear that the "new" Club-Lite would be a test-case for lowering the services all the clubs, yet again.

So, if there is more dough to spend . . . give us more dough (and salads, entrees, desserts) in the key hub lounges.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dd93003
You mean like the same way you do when you discuss mileage redemptions?
Please show me where I've ever spoken of Mileage redemptions.......

If you can't please try to stay on topic and stop bating people
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Steph3n
I sense a return of the skyCloset....they should look at their old club at MIA as an 'example'
I hope this isn't the case....and yes MIA is a great example
Old Aug 3, 2010, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Thanks for all the input in this thread. I'm meeting with a DL exec this week and will be sure to share the FT perspective.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Thanks for all the input in this thread. I'm meeting with a DL exec this week and will be sure to share the FT perspective.
Let us know what you find out/ how the meeting goes!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by travelingsalesgal
Let us know what you find out/ how the meeting goes!
Meeting is complete....I spent about two hours enjoying breakfast with the DL exec and STL station chief. I'm kinda sworn to secrecy on the rollout of SCLight but let's just say it's not just a rumor. When I'm given the green light to share more, I will post here ASAP.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:44 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down

Glad to say I play this game year by year.

As a captive of a fortress hub, I'm all about the quality of the club at first tier airports, not whether they open mom and pop Club-Light products at secondary or tertiary markets.

I can't imagine that the Club Light concept would stay on its own - it's obvious they'd use it to test the waters for a continued degrade of the main product.

Last edited by wbl-mn-flyer; Aug 5, 2010 at 7:40 pm
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
-1 to this idea. Make the clubs dry and watch my dollars disappear.
+1 for me and +1 for Mrs. Italy. We like to enjoy a drink between flights and, as we pay for our membership, do not want the bottom tier liquor or beer. Personally, it is bad enough that DL no longer stocks Woodford Reserve in the SC and I am wondering when DL will take Woodford off of flights.

Originally Posted by LBJ
Been in the JAX lounge? It feels like someones living room. Both airlines had their share of nice and not-so-nice lounges. Can we give this a rest? Perhaps we should discuss DL's wonderful JFK facilities? What kind of "culture" does that present?
Originally Posted by mersk862
The new Jacksonville lounge is actually rather nice (and small). If that (with a self-serve bar; in the old lounge, the CRC agent was the bartender, in the new one they had an actual barkeep) is what a new SC Light is like, I'd be very happy. The new JAX facility is much nicer than the old one and is one of the better SCs in the system.
I was in the JAX lounge about one month ago and there was a bartender behind the counter. Has this changed since then?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
As I have said before, my great anxiety with the concept is that DL Management will use the Lite clubs to trial run ways to cost-reduce service in the main clubs.

That said, if DL Management can avoid their natural inclinations and actually use the Lite clubs to make membership more valuable, I'd support this.

But, to do so, DL Management would have to, IMHO, establish a significant number of the Lite clubs in smaller, less busy airports which, nonetheless, have enough DL business to warrant doing something nice for club members.^

If, on the other hand, they only put in a few of these Lite clubs in locations that really deserve a full club, it will quickly become apparent that they have followed this path as a token gesture to the membership.

Anyone want to place a bet?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Just clone the current WC's at either end of the tram at DTW or the old WCs at PHL or SEA and provide the same level of service those of us who flew NW then had.

They all were/are all fine.

Bob H.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta 1MM / DM, Avis First, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Gold
mebbe this WILL happen

Hockeystl has me optomistic. If so, I would be delighted. My home station is #17 (by seats on the no club list), so I have to think it is in the mix. Also, competitive offerings have to be looked at. SWA is #1 carrier at AUS (35%), but not a competitor (DL is long haul, hub and downline -- SWA is short haul, with some long haul, mostly leisure). Biggest competitors are AA (20%) and CAL + UA (16%). Both have clubs. DL (+ Alaska) is at 15%.

Until last year, DL psgrs had access to the CAL club -- no mas. All I want is a place to wait when the outbound is delayed. I'd like WiFi, power, a bathroom, seats, and some refreshments -- booze would be a bonus. We had that in the old Mueller a/p, when DL competed with the AA DFW hub. Code protected door, and the gate agents would occassionally stop by and tidy the place up. Frankly, this issue is part of the mix in me considering a status match to CAL (wait until Oct, when I make DM), then moving my not-inconsequential annual mileage to the new UA - CAL mix. If DL were to open a SCLite here in AUS, it would tamp down the infrequent "wonderings".
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Did we ever get confirmation that this idea was being considered beyond STL or are we all just hoping that it is...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.