Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GM and non medallion upgrade to int businesss class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

San Diego plane to ATL delayed due to a mechanical problem today meaning that myself and family of two (who were both on award tickets and non medallions) would not be able to get our connection ATL- MAN this evening. GA told we would not be able to make this trip now until 2 days time due to further over sold Delta flights in economy for the remaing flights today and ATL-MAN flights tomorrow. The only seat available to me, as a GM, was a business class seat ATL to MAN for the following day, my family as non Medallions and on an award ticket, were not candidates for this change. After some back and to with supervisors they eventually upgraded all three of us ATL -MAN in business class. Although we had our trip to the UK cut short by one day the upside of Deltas response to this inconvenience was far beyond expectation......3 happy albeit tired fliers get to do it all again tomorrow and will arrive in a more relaxed and ready state. A fair trade? What do you think?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO your family got far more than they should have in this situation.

DL should have moved DM/PM up from coach to create seats for your family in this case.

I really hope there weren't any people trying to use SWUs on this flight.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:34 pm

I think Delta did the right thing. You and your family were inconvenienced and this was a good way to try to make up for it.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

DL should have moved DM/PM up from coach to create seats for your family in this case.

Even after having to wait an extra day?

I'd agree with you if there were DM/PM in the same situation.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Make sure your family members put a DL FF# in their reservation now as they will likely earn miles (and 150% at that) for the business class flights to MAN.

-RM
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by leenightingale
A fair trade? What do you think?
Absolutely. I think it's a win-win for everybody. You were inconvenienced by something within the control of the airline. Giving you the BE seats because there weren't any coach seats was the right thing to do. Moving up a DM or PM who was not inconvenienced would have made the DM or PM happy (who by the way bought a coach ticket to begin with) but would have done nothing to appease a family whose vacation was at risk because of a mx issue.

This is how you make future PMs & DMs out of non-medallians. Had they put them on the 2 day later flight, their seats would have likely been scattered all over the back of the plane and they would have been very upset. And rightly so.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
San Diego plane to ATL delayed due to a mechanical problem today meaning that myself and family of two (who were both on award tickets and non medallions) would not be able to get our connection ATL- MAN this evening. GA told we would not be able to make this trip now until 2 days time due to further over sold Delta flights in economy for the remaing flights today and ATL-MAN flights tomorrow. The only seat available to me, as a GM, was a business class seat ATL to MAN for the following day, my family as non Medallions and on an award ticket, were not candidates for this change. After some back and to with supervisors they eventually upgraded all three of us ATL -MAN in business class. Although we had our trip to the UK cut short by one day the upside of Deltas response to this inconvenience was far beyond expectation......3 happy albeit tired fliers get to do it all again tomorrow and will arrive in a more relaxed and ready state. A fair trade? What do you think?
I think you did pretty damn good!!! They shouldve bumped DM PM GM FO up 1st to create the seat for the NM. However, I'm usually the FO who is seating in F, while DM PM GM sit in back as I know how to "work the system" thanks to FT so I should be proud of you
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M

Simply pathetic.

I am really glad that I Don't Know Who You Are.

DL does, and SHOULD, put IROP'ed pax at the head of the list.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jul 13, 2010 at 8:27 pm
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, this was Deltas fix and not me throwing my binkie out of the crib to get what I got.......
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Simply pathetic.

I am really glad that I Don't Know Who You Are.

DL does, and SHOULD, put IROP'ed pax at the head of the list.
I agree, when the flight is a different day. I don't think I'd agree if the flight is delayed a few hours.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people think status outweighs an INT IRROP situation where the loss of days of a trip is concerned.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
sounds like shenani...........
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Sorry, this was Deltas fix and not me throwing my binkie out of the crib to get what I got.......
I hope you were not replying to me.

My diatribe was against MSEcon.

I think DL was 100% correct wrt you and family. I am glad they did the best they could to help you have a good trip.

EDIT: leennihtingale, I just saw this was your 2'nd post here. Welcome to the board and I am very sorry if you got caught it in some cross-fire.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:07 pm

As a former Customer Service Agent...You Elites should know that IRROP/Disserviced Passengers go ahead of Customers waiting for Upgrades/Seats via standby or normal instrument of upgrade.

In this instance DL did good by the customer for the inconvenience..

GOOD FOR YOU OP! Now if DL would only do that for me when I fly as a PM!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

I am fascinated with all the good responses that have been posted so far. I understandibly know the passion that this post has created.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL

+1

Having what happened to the OP is enough compensation for the mechanical delay IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.