Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The 2010 Second Annual Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event — October 21-24, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2010 Second Annual Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event — October 21-24, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Italy98
Would it be possible to get a copy of the "Above the Wing" article?

Mrs. Italy and I are ready, with sufficient notice, to fly to ATL to participate in another "Walk a mile" event.

Happy New Year to everyone!
I think this is the article you're looking for, though others may have links to additional information:

http://blog.delta.com/2010/10/29/an-event-to-remember/
Old Dec 28, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
I think this is the article you're looking for, though others may have links to additional information:

http://blog.delta.com/2010/10/29/an-event-to-remember/
Nope. Two different articles. This one was written by Canarsie for Delta's public blog. The other is an internal newsletter and probably isn't available online without a password.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by scoow
Nope. Two different articles. This one was written by Canarsie for Delta's public blog. The other is an internal newsletter and probably isn't available online without a password.
This was posted on DeltaNet as a news brief just after the event, for what it's worth:

Select FlyerTalk users get insider's look at Delta operation
October 25, 2010

About 150 active users of the travel blog FlyerTalk.com spent four days in Atlanta last week to visit with Delta leaders and get an insider’s view of the operation.

Richard, Sandy Gordon, v.p.-IFS Field Operations; Bob Kupbens, v.p.-e-Commerce; Tim Mapes, s.v.p.-Marketing; Neil Stronach, s.v.p.-Operations Control; Jeff Robertson, v.p.-SkyMiles; and Jeremy Schneider, director-Information Technology, spoke to the bloggers.

As part of their self-funded trip to Atlanta, the bloggers also were able to sign up for various events including tours of the Delta Heritage Museum, the Operations Control Center and Delta TechOps.

They also had the opportunity to spend some time in the simulators, received road warrior training, and even worked with Airport Customer Service as part of a “Walk a Mile” program in which they shadowed gate agents at the Atlanta airport on Saturday and Sunday morning and participated in simpler tasks such as taking boarding passes and making gate announcements.

“Thanks @Delta for an amazing wknd behind the scenes,” said a Daily Travel Tips post on Twitter Monday. “New appreciation for gate agents, FAs, pilots, and ALL of the DL family.”
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
This was posted on DeltaNet as a news brief just after the event, for what it's worth:
That is the one that I have seen on DeltaNet as well...
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Would it be possible to get a copy of the "Above the Wing" article?

Mrs. Italy and I are ready, with sufficient notice, to fly to ATL to participate in another "Walk a mile" event.

Happy New Year to everyone!
Happy New Year to you also!

Sorry the delay in the reply, I am WAY behind on my e-mail!!

I do not have an actual copy of the Above the Wing article, but I will be meeting with the ACS team later in January so I will see if I can get a copy of it and post it here. I do have a copy of the DeltaNet Article that was published after the second AJC article. If there is interest in seeing that article, I will ask if I can publish it here, as it is a Delta Internal publication that I wouldn't publish here without their permission.

As far as another "Walk a mile" event, I am actually planning to have another one when we have the Delta Employee/FlyerTalk Thank You Luncheon. I am just waiting for a confirmation of the date from Delta for that Luncheon. The Thank You Luncheon is for all of the Delta Employees and FlyerTalk Volunteers that participated in making the event a huge success!

If there is a broad interest in having another "Walk a Mile" event for other FT members, we can certainly ask about that at some point in the future.

Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by Dovster
Question: Do many Delta employees collect old DL pins and buttons?

At the Do, I bought two "blind packages" -- one of pins and the other of buttons.

I really have no use for them but hate to throw them away. Do you think that the FAs on my next TLV-ATL flight would enjoy having them?
No doubt that there are employees that do collect them. Did these "blind packages" come from the Museum store?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
For those RWT vets, here is a video of a recent evacuation of a Delta 757 in COS (there's a thread somewhere here on FT). Listen closely and you can hear several of the things that we heard during these sessions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlJZ-...layer_embedded
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:54 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've seen my GA 4 times since the event - she tells me that all of the agents in ATL would love it if we were to do this again.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by atldlff
No doubt that there are employees that do collect them. Did these "blind packages" come from the Museum store?
Yes, as did quite a few other things I now have. In fact, between what I bought in the Museum store, was given by Delta at the Do, and the shirts I purchased from you guys, I now have my own fairly well stocked Delta Museum.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
On 28 & 29 Dec I saw two of the GAs I worked with during "Walk a Mile", with one asking "where was my tie?".
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM (where is my Diamond Tiara?)
Ever since Walk a Mile when I connect through ATL I always take a quick run to B south to look up "my" redcoat. She is a doll!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by Flyin'Mom
Ever since Walk a Mile when I connect through ATL I always take a quick run to B south to look up "my" redcoat. She is a doll!
I just visited my GA two weeks ago with some sugar free chocolate because she is diabetic.. She told me to hop behind the counter and help her any time I definitely want to do another Walk a Mile!!!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Luckily I haven't seen my Walk-a-mile agent again since she works in the C concourse with the RJs!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by travelingsalesgal
I just visited my GA two weeks ago with some sugar free chocolate because she is diabetic.. She told me to hop behind the counter and help her any time I definitely want to do another Walk a Mile!!!
It is funny how we have become possessive of our own GA's. I stop by to see "my" GA every time I fly through ATL. Already gave her a JWD cert but next time need to pick up a gift for her 4-yr-old.

Weird how in just a few hours, so many of us became like family with our GA's. That is probably worthy of a story by itself.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
On 28 & 29 Dec I saw two of the GAs I worked with during "Walk a Mile", with one asking "where was my tie?".
My last 2 connections were either short or a terrible misconnect with need for a Skyclub complete re-route ... no chance yet for me, but most of my travel is not going through ATL.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
My last 2 connections were either short or a terrible misconnect with need for a Skyclub complete re-route ... no chance yet for me, but most of my travel is not going through ATL.
I've been distracted as well on my ATL connections since the event as well. One trip I had my parents passing through at the same time I so spent the time with them, another I had a FA friend there at the same time so I went to see her. The other couple of times were relatively tight connections (45 minutes or so) and going B-to-B, which would have made it difficult to get over to the South A Concourse for a visit.

It doesn't help that most of my connections are in the evening hours through Atlanta and my agent has the seniority to keep the morning shift that he likes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.