Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Various spoke cities: double MQM + up to 50,000 bonus miles per round-trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Various spoke cities: double MQM + up to 50,000 bonus miles per round-trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by patrickboruta
However it works, it's teaching me to be patient and entertaining me along the way.
More people need to be taught this...
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Me, too, a week ago. Still missing EQMs and miles.

I may try that. I'd like to know how many EQM I have before I take my next trip, and so I can figure out whether it's worth it to go for Diamond.
I still wasn't getting any action on my MQMs, so I called DL. After some back and forth consulting with another department and lots of hold time, they said they had the posting of the itinerary straightened out and it should show up within 24 hours. It did show up corrected, but the bonuses did not.

I waited a few more days then called again today, thinking it would be a simple matter to correct the bonuses, now that the itinerary was posting correctly. Ummm, no.

After a strange journey through different departments and much time on hold, they finally got some corrections in, which gave me the correct outbound MQMs and bonus miles, but they claimed that I had a greater-than-24-hour layover on the return, which invalidated the inbound bonuses, and they only gave me 1000 extra MQMs and 5000 bonus miles. It is true that I had an overnight in Orlando on the return but it was far less than 24 hours.

So I explain that to them and get put on hold yet again. Finally the rep returns and tells me that the computer is treating the return segments as a domestic trip and is enforcing a 4-hour layover policy on the return, even though it's part of an international itinerary booked on delta.com. They're going to work on it, but I have to wait until tomorrow to find out if they succeeded in correcting the computer. I'm doubting they will. If only Kevin had chosen to work on this himself.

The odd thing is that even if they only allow the flights after Orlando, I still should receive more than 1000 bonus MQMs.

I don't think I'll concoct such a complicated itinerary for bonus miles again. Not worth it.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I still wasn't getting any action on my MQMs, so I called DL. After some back and forth consulting with another department and lots of hold time, they said they had the posting of the itinerary straightened out and it should show up within 24 hours. It did show up corrected, but the bonuses did not.

I waited a few more days then called again today, thinking it would be a simple matter to correct the bonuses, now that the itinerary was posting correctly. Ummm, no.

After a strange journey through different departments and much time on hold, they finally got some corrections in, which gave me the correct outbound MQMs and bonus miles, but they claimed that I had a greater-than-24-hour layover on the return, which invalidated the inbound bonuses, and they only gave me 1000 extra MQMs and 5000 bonus miles. It is true that I had an overnight in Orlando on the return but it was far less than 24 hours.

So I explain that to them and get put on hold yet again. Finally the rep returns and tells me that the computer is treating the return segments as a domestic trip and is enforcing a 4-hour layover policy on the return, even though it's part of an international itinerary booked on delta.com. They're going to work on it, but I have to wait until tomorrow to find out if they succeeded in correcting the computer. I'm doubting they will. If only Kevin had chosen to work on this himself.

The odd thing is that even if they only allow the flights after Orlando, I still should receive more than 1000 bonus MQMs.

I don't think I'll concoct such a complicated itinerary for bonus miles again. Not worth it.
It seems to me that once a human being has looked at it and confirmed that you had a valid itinerary, that person ought to be able to manually grant you the miles and EQM you are due.

CV
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Ambassador;Lifetime Titanium; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
I had only read this post with envy up until this point, as I am in MSP and none of the options made much sense for repositioning. Plus the big trips I am taking (MSP-JFK-ATH,IST-AMS-MSP and MSP-HNL) were booked well before this promo began. Now my son is studying in Spain, and the JFK-MAD prices in I are good through Oct 4, so I am trying to figure out the best way to do this, with some help. We are flying either Nov 13 or 14, return Nov 21. As I understand it, I need to book a separate ticket MSP-Spoke, then book a ticket for Spoke-JFK-MAD-JFK-Spoke, right? If I only booked a one way to whichever city I will "originate" from, can the last leg of my trip just be from the spoke city to MSP, or does that create problems for me? If so, I will just book a RT MSP-Spoke.
Any recommendations on which of the 4 cities is easiest to start the itinerary I noted above? I plan to fly in I JFK-MAD, but if I don't need to book a higher class for the Spoke-JFK RT, it would be much better. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks for the help
And yes, for those Viking fans out there, this will make me miss the Green Bay game, which really sucks!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: DM, KM,
yet another newbie question

I need to go to Seattle and Cincinnatti at the end of the month. I plan to leave from BNA. Planned itinerary BNA-ATL-SEA-MSP-CVG-ATL-BNA. Will the SEA-MSP-CVG portion yield the DMQM's? Of course, the positioning flight to BNA is totally unreasonable, so probably will drive. If bonus MQM is posted this year, I'll make PM, otherwise I'll be just short.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It was nice earning 6,250 miles for a $119 RDU-ATL-RDU trip I took last month. I also like that unlike AA, the bonus miles and EQMs post right away. Shame the 2x EQM are worthless for me as I'm already requalified for Silver and won't make Gold
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdoc
I had only read this post with envy up until this point, as I am in MSP and none of the options made much sense for repositioning. Plus the big trips I am taking (MSP-JFK-ATH,IST-AMS-MSP and MSP-HNL) were booked well before this promo began. Now my son is studying in Spain, and the JFK-MAD prices in I are good through Oct 4, so I am trying to figure out the best way to do this, with some help. We are flying either Nov 13 or 14, return Nov 21. As I understand it, I need to book a separate ticket MSP-Spoke, then book a ticket for Spoke-JFK-MAD-JFK-Spoke, right? If I only booked a one way to whichever city I will "originate" from, can the last leg of my trip just be from the spoke city to MSP, or does that create problems for me? If so, I will just book a RT MSP-Spoke.
Any recommendations on which of the 4 cities is easiest to start the itinerary I noted above? I plan to fly in I JFK-MAD, but if I don't need to book a higher class for the Spoke-JFK RT, it would be much better. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks for the help
And yes, for those Viking fans out there, this will make me miss the Green Bay game, which really sucks!
flyerdoc,

to begin, you would have to have a PNR beginning and ending in a promo city--thus, you would not be able to go spoke-MAD-MSP. You would have to do a roundtrip MSP-spoke, with another roundtrip spoke-MAD, like you described.

As for the rest, others are much more qualified to discuss that than I am.

Happy travels!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Miniflyer
I need to go to Seattle and Cincinnatti at the end of the month. I plan to leave from BNA. Planned itinerary BNA-ATL-SEA-MSP-CVG-ATL-BNA. Will the SEA-MSP-CVG portion yield the DMQM's? Of course, the positioning flight to BNA is totally unreasonable, so probably will drive. If bonus MQM is posted this year, I'll make PM, otherwise I'll be just short.
First, the entire itinerary should receive DMQM. I'm not sure whether you would get 5000 bonus RDM or 10000 bonus RDM, since I don't know if Delta would consider this a trip to a hub or a nonhub.

As for the miles, as mentioned many times in this thread they are posting quickly after the flights--pretty much about the same time as the normal miles post. You may have to contact DL to get issues resolved, but the miles shouldn't wait until the end of the year.

Happy travels!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Plus the big trips I am taking (MSP-JFK-ATH,IST-AMS-MSP and MSP-HNL) were booked well before this promo began.
Reportedly, those who have positioning flights within 4 hours of the bonus-qualifying flights need to have the postings manually corrected because the computer sees it as one itinerary and does not post the bonus.

In your case, if you book MSP-spoke-MSP on both ends of your existing trip, with an overnight in the spoke and less than 4 hours in MSP between the new PNR and existing, the computer may see it as a RT from/to the spoke and post the bonus miles automatically. Not guaranteed, but logically it should work.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Thanks for the help
flyerdoc
based on my experiences -- two of these so far and one more over T'giving, you will need to book spoke-JFK/ATL-MAD-spoke as one ticket and MSP-spoke-MSP as a ticket outside of the international flight. The I fare will apply from the spoke to Europe and probably get you first class on the domestic flights if they aren't on RJs. Flying from MSP, I'm guessing you will want to minimize overnight at the spoke, so assuming the fares are good, my guess is STL is the best place for you to originate. My T'giving trip is to TXL and I'm flying PIT-ATL-CDG-TXL-AMS-JFK-PIT (no bonus miles CDG-TXL-AMS). This routing allows time for me to fly DCA-PIT in the morning to make the PIT-TXL routing and gets me back to PIT early enough in the evening to get back to DCA that night. So in addition to the Europe flight, you need to look at the schedule and availability from MSP to the spoke you will start and end from. Also remember to watch the trans-Atlantic flights to be sure they are on DL metal. The best I fare may come up STL-DTW/CVG/ATL/JFK/BOS/MSP-CDG/AMS-MAD -- which is fine so long as you are flying DL flights across the pond and not AF or KL code shares.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalVol
It seems to me that once a human being has looked at it and confirmed that you had a valid itinerary, that person ought to be able to manually grant you the miles and EQM you are due.

CV
One would think so. Unfortunately, it seems beyond the capabilities of the people involved. Here's what happened after I ended my call:

They reverted the outbound flights from the credited original routing back to the actual routing flown, thus negating the efforts of the previous group of DL agents. This despite the fact that I stressed heavily to the agent that the outbound was completely accurate and did not need modification. To their credit, the numbers do add up, just not to as many as I was expecting. Out 2728 MQMs and 2728 miles because of that.

On the return, they posted the segments correctly, but left the automatic 10K miles plus 1000 MQMs bonus that the computer had given me for the last two segments only. They instead added four SkyMiles Customer Resolution entries, two for bonus miles and two for MQMs. Neither add up correctly -- the miles are 2500 over and the MQMs are 1127 fewer than they should be.

So between the deletion of the original routing credit and the miscalculations on the return, I'm out 3855 MQMs (and 228 miles). For that many MQMs I have to call them again. This is ridiculous.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Oct 2, 2010 at 9:33 pm
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL-GM
MR

Miles just posted from Run I did yesterday. PIT-ATL-SEA-DTW-PIT

Double MQM's only posted on the PIT-ATL and DTW-PIT segments. I will wait a day or 2 to see if this straightens itself out.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by SkyBuck
Reportedly, those who have positioning flights within 4 hours of the bonus-qualifying flights need to have the postings manually corrected because the computer sees it as one itinerary and does not post the bonus.

In your case, if you book MSP-spoke-MSP on both ends of your existing trip, with an overnight in the spoke and less than 4 hours in MSP between the new PNR and existing, the computer may see it as a RT from/to the spoke and post the bonus miles automatically. Not guaranteed, but logically it should work.
I had this issue on my first trip in late-August, but my recent ones with similar guidelines have posted properly.

I did another run like this over the weekend - only one flight from yesterday posted; the evening flight out West and the returns did not (I have noticed that in general, if you leave after 4 p.m. Eastern, miles won't post until the morning two calendar days later...).
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Just a question, I have made 3 trips to Europe through Pit that the double MQM's have not posted. When I called the DM line they said the promo listed that they will post after Dec 31. It seems that many of you are getting the double MQM already. Any suggestions on how I can get this corrected if they are posting for others.

Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:04 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by patrickboruta
One complaint I have is that Delta customer service misinformed me that I'd have access to the US Air club. That is only true if you're bound for CDG. Would have been nice to use the club, but I couldn't justify a $50 day fee, so TGI Fridays had to suffice.
Don't know if you're going for DM in which case you'd have DL SC access of your own (I see that PIT doesn't have a SC, though), but I wanted to make sure you knew about this...

MANAGED Delta Sky Club™ Meeting Thread

I've tried to sponsor people into the DL lounge when I'm on an int'l itinerary and I get lounge access as a Platinum.

Welcome to FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.