Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Carrying more than 2 carry-ons with expensive computer equipment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat

Hi,

On a recent flight I was flying in F (I guess the class of travel should not matter)

I had 4 carry-ons== 2 bags and 2 personal items

1 Bag (std carry on size with wheels):- Computer equipment
1 Bag (std carry on size with wheels):- LCD monitor and oscilloscope
1 Personal Item:- Xbox and laptop
1 personal item:- Laptop

there is now way I could have checked these items and firstly Delta does not cover the losses for these in checked luggage.

I had to bring these on board.

While boarding the FA tells me that I have too many carry-ons and I need to check them (I politely tell her that its expensive, fragile and delta does not cover these if damaged)
She still does not listen to me and I forcibly give her the bags and get my yellow tag.

When the bags arrive at the airport; the lcd screen is broken and xbox has a crack in the shell and my laptop screen cracked!

I'm willing to pay for extra carry-ons but Delta does not have a policy to charge the customer for extra carry-ons. Atleast the GA and FA were only aware about extra checked bags.

I usually travel with 3 carry-ons 1 Bag and 2 personal items. This trip was special as I had more work to do.

I'm dont have a grudge against anyone as I had more than the 2 allowed; but I need to be able to carry more than 2 and am willin to pay for it.

Can I buy another ticket to get the extra 2 carry-ons?
What do you think?

Last edited by cooldude585; Jun 4, 2010 at 10:54 am Reason: added extra option for buying a ticket
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cooldude585
Hi,

What do you think?
If it was a U.S. flight you were in violation of TSA regulations. Offering to pay more gets you no regulatory relief.

PC are shipped around the world daily. Plan ahead.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:45 am

fedex is your friend
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I think... you should purchase suitable packaging supplies if you really need to transport such items. You might also consider third-party insurance if DL does not cover these items. I do not, under any circumstances, support allowing people to buy an additional carry-on allowance.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta, USAir, Hilton Honors
I believe if you had bought an additional seat, they could not have given you a hard time. Is there not consideration for things like musical instruments than can be brought onboard IF you've purchased an additional seat? Don't know ANY of this from fact, but would definitely question Delta about this sort of thing.

Too bad you couldn't consolidate into just two bags. Sorry your equipment is damaged.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:00 am

Or purchase an extra seat for cabin baggage; CBBG.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Logically, this should be the same as buying an extra seat for a large and fragile musical instrument. I presume you would use the seatbelt to secure your equipment. AFAIK, the musicians still get their regular carry on allowance and many stations will let FC passengers bring two small personal items plus a roller bag. Obviously you need to call and ask about making such arrangements. The extra FC seat will be much more expensive than Fedex, but might be a solution if you don't have the overnights to be without the equipment or can't meet the pickup deadline for next morning delivery, for example, back-to-back locations on one trip.

How do you manage to get all of this stuff through the airport without damage?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
OP is the same individual who started the Skype thread earlier this week

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ype-board.html

Originally Posted by cooldude585

I usually travel with 3 carry-ons 1 Bag and 2 personal items. This trip was special as I had more work to do.

WHAT THE HECK GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO SAY THAT YOU'RE ABOVE COMPLYING WITH THE RULES AND THAT THEY DON'T APPLY TO YOU ?????
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
It seems like poor packing and poor planning on behalf of the OP. Fragile materials get shipped (via air) every day. If you use the proper styrofoam, bubblewrap and boxes any of those items could have been checked as baggage.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I travel with several pieces of electronic equipment. Over the past few years, manufacturers have come out with small but powerful stuff. My Dell laptop is the smallest computer (not Netbook) available. The Casio projector is so thin that both it and the computer can fit in the same compartment of my briefcase. By getting the GPS integrated with my Blackberry I cut down on additional pieces of electronic stuff. Additionally, I have found bags and covering that protect the items and have a way of packing my bag so that even with two days worth of clothes I can still have all carry-on and be within the two bag limit. Beyond a two day trip, I've either stuck checking bags or sending stuff via FedEx. (BTW, don't send a suitcase FedEx. Pack your stuff into a FedEx box and shipping it is much faster. You don't need the suitcase. The thoel can give you another FedEx box to send the laundry home later.)

Bottom line, you need to figure out how to get yourself within the airline regulation and stop trying to figure out how to get around it, take advantage or explain why you are a special exception, because ya ain't.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
Rules are rules. If we abide by them, you abide by them. I travel with VERY expensive underwater camera gear. Ever hear of Pelican cases? 35 years of flying and NEVER any damage.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
Not sure I agree.

Originally Posted by jrl22
OP is the same individual who started the Skype thread earlier this week

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ype-board.html

WHAT THE HECK GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO SAY THAT YOU'RE ABOVE COMPLYING WITH THE RULES AND THAT THEY DON'T APPLY TO YOU ?????
You're right; the Skype thread was pretty flagrant in terms of OP ignoring the rules. In this thread, however, he seems to be acknowledging that he's outside of the rules; he's not so much saying the rules don't apply to him. Anyone else notice that FT posts are getting more and more contentious lately?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by mcmitchell
Come on people don't you know when to break out the
If the stuff was stolen, I may have had some sympathy. There's no excuse for baggage handler theft.

But broken? That just means you don't have appropriate travel cases (I use Pelican, too.)

I have to travel with camera equipment, too. I will use an air freight company if I exceed the carry-on allowance. For some reason, their stuff doesn't get stolen even though it often travels in the same planes...
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM, CO PE, WN, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
recommend pelican, or similar hard case with fitted foam for computer equipment. I've checked/fedex pelican cases with electronics all the time and have never had a problem.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Get an iPad - lose the xBox and two of the laptops. Problem solved

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.