Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Award Fees: Effective 6/2, they be changin'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Fees: Effective 6/2, they be changin'

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TTT
NW allowed upgrades on award tickets for GE and above. Delta's policy is inline with what NW offered.
DL's current policy is not in-line with what NW offered in terms of upgrades on award tickets. DL may get there, but Delta's policy today is short of what NW offered.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by channa
Brilliant move. Maybe they're starting to get ready for the UA/CO merger. People are not gonna be happy if things change on either side over there.

Let's fix some of the availability issues, and the SWU usability, and the program has potential to be competitive.

I'm crossing my fingers that new United program will look a lot like the current United program. Then I'd drop the woefully uncompetitive Diamond Medallion like a bad habit.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:21 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
DL's current policy is not in-line with what NW offered in terms of upgrades on award tickets. DL may get there, but Delta's policy today is short of what NW offered.
That was implied with the context of the post that I quoted which was a quote from Delta.com regarding the implementation of award upgrades for GM+ elite members to begin this fall. Once that is implemented the award upgrade policy will be inline with what NW offered.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Red face

It sucks how good news can make me feel sick to my stomach. Less than 24 hours ago I redeemed skymiles for a flight my wife is on right now to go to a funeral. I had troubles with the computer getting the mid-tier flights so I had to call and pay an extra $20 for direct ticketing. Anybody else want $170 of my student loan money at an 8.5% interest rate. (I am very happy right now.)
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TTT
That was implied with the context of the post that I quoted which was a quote from Delta.com regarding the implementation of award upgrades for GM+ elite members to begin this fall. Once that is implemented the award upgrade policy will be inline with what NW offered.
Are you sure that it will be in line with what NW offered? I doubt it unless DL reworks things that go beyond even just that NW policy of yesteryear.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by TTT
Possibly. Previous announcements stated clearly that no award tickets would be upgraded until all Silver Medallions on paid fares were upgraded. That was a clear step backward from NW's policy, which didn't open the window for award upgrades until T-24 but once the window opened you assumed your normal priority by status. So a Plat or Gold award would trump any Silver, paid or not.

Now the only reference on delta.com states "Economy Award reservations will be upgraded to First Class beginning 24 hours prior to departure based on availability." So they may indeed reprise NW's policy. We'll see.

In the good ol' NW days as a Plat I often found my award tickets upgraded well in advance of T-24. I doubt we'll see that with DL.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by secretsea18
Perkchoice is listed on the DL website (posted above) as returning in .... 2011.

While that is a long way away, it is on the radar.

Additionally, I saw that the regular flight booking screen added two new options:
1. Check nearby airports. ^
2. I am flexible for weekends.

And it remembered my airports and dates when I went back. ^
Almost a functional dl.com. Amazing.
These are good moves and things that I asked Delta for. It's very nice to see DL is listening to their customers.

Originally Posted by judolphin
Wow, they gave with one hand, and majorly, majorly took away with the other.

$150 to change a free ticket? Despicable.
Yes let us not forget that the fees are Increasing for the vast majority of members - Again!! (I think it was only 2 or 3 years ago NW was only charging $25.)
This is especially bad considering it covers all changes of any type(many types of changes involving the same destination are free with their competitor's award tickets.)
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
What NW Perkchoice was

For those who are unfamiliar with PerkChoice:

Pay one direction of your trip and use miles for the other direction. You could mix and match award levels and classes along with seeing your options for the revenue flight and award at the same time, so you could pick the best choice for you.

AND if you were Gold or Plat Elite your awards were eligible for upgrades. Plus you got all miles for the revenue flights including fare bonuses.

Way, Way better than this silly Pay with Miles where you lose your miles and are not eligible for upgrades.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Good news...^...Thanks Skoker (still remember meeting you at the gate in BUF when you saw my FlyerTalk tag )
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:40 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripe
Possibly. Previous announcements stated clearly that no award tickets would be upgraded until all Silver Medallions on paid fares were upgraded. That was a clear step backward from NW's policy, which didn't open the window for award upgrades until T-24 but once the window opened you assumed your normal priority by status. So a Plat or Gold award would trump any Silver, paid or not.

Now the only reference on delta.com states "Economy Award reservations will be upgraded to First Class beginning 24 hours prior to departure based on availability." So they may indeed reprise NW's policy. We'll see.

In the good ol' NW days as a Plat I often found my award tickets upgraded well in advance of T-24. I doubt we'll see that with DL.
Given that Delta holds back many more seats from advanced upgrades, this type of policy would be a significant downgrade to Silvers.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
This is great news! I really hope its the start of a more positive wave of changes to come. Maybe lower M fares or at least allowing SWUs on an additional class of international service be next?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: Skyteam
This is great, Thank you Delta!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

On another note, I'm surprised no one has suggested this yet:

A sliding scale of Award redeposit/reissue fees based on the level of award ticket you have. If you're booked in low you pay $150. If you're booked in mid you pay $75. If you're booked in high you pay $0. Sure, it would be hell for Delta to try and implement that but they created this ridiculous award structure in the first place; they should have a sliding scale for fees, too.

Sure, there's a lot of what-if's to go with this. For example, what do you charge if the ticket is a mix of low & mid, etc. etc. You could come up with a solution though.

-RM
Or how about a sliding fee scale based on medallion status.....$50 for gold, $100 for silver and $150 for all others?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:29 pm
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
This is great news. For general members I suspect the elimination of close-in ticketing fees more than offsets the change fees.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by channa
And of course if they could do free changes so long as the O/D remains the same (a la CO), that would help.
One of the few things that I actually appreciated about US was there was no charge for changing award reservations, as long as the O/D cities remained the same. (FWIH recently, I understand that US may change that policy now or soon, though I am not positive.)

Originally Posted by TTT
Given that Delta holds back many more seats from advanced upgrades, this type of policy would be a significant downgrade to Silvers.
How? People who have status higher than FO, and who would have been upgraded before you will still be upgraded before you, so how is that a downgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.