Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

More bad JFK service today...What a surprise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite

So on DL5732 today JFK-MSP 8:05 departure on EMB 175 Flying with my standard Travelpro carryon that fits in every DL plane i have been on except CRJ200. Checkin fine get to security, A Delta Employee demands i return to checkin to check luggage. I started to laugh, she wasn't joking, wanting me to put it in the luggage rack that is 2x smaller than what actually fits on the plane. So i continue to head through security. "First time i have seen this" She was stopping everyone, i let her get distracted with others.

Now the FUN part begins. Instead of letting a few people board and put luggage on board, lets gate check EVERYONE on the EMB 175 "wait not gate check", not for plane side but for baggage claim. Oh for the people with connections, sorry you must leave security to pick it up. They did not DO TRANSFER's, a bunch of people were waiting in C5 jetway for bags but realized they did not do plane side and must leave to get bag and reclear.

What is DL doing here? Is this common at JFK. First and hopefully only fight out of JFK ever!! i will continue to use LGA.
Old May 9, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If your bag was carry on size, why do you say the rack is 2X smaller? I have a Tumi carry on, and it fits in the rack.
Was the gate agent rejecting all carry ons or just the ones that would not fit in the rack?
Old May 9, 2010, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dickinson
If your bag was carry on size, why do you say the rack is 2X smaller? I have a Tumi carry on, and it fits in the rack.
Was the gate agent rejecting all carry ons or just the ones that would not fit in the rack?
All BAGS, mine is the travelpro 21inch, fits in all planes wheels out, but does not fit in the rack..... This is just not a FC/Coach, Zone1 -Zone4 issue, they said EVERYONE, do not bring it on board. but they did not do transfers on bags so everyone had to leave security to get the bag. Not sure how many misconnects this caused DL, but nice job by the GA at JFK.

Whoever was running this gate, NICE JOB
Old May 9, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
I don't know the story behind, but here's my 2 cents.

1. the size check rack is actually smaller than the actual bin.
2. Not tagging for the transfer flight is just PLAIN Wrong. I would want to have lengthy conversation with the supervisor.
Old May 9, 2010, 8:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
I have never heard of such a thing at any airport, including JFK (my primary). I have flown several CR2s out of JFK and have never been forced to check my 22in Delsey. You must have gotten a seriously wretched GA. I would certainly write to DL about this.
Old May 9, 2010, 9:51 pm

I have been traveling a lot through JFK lately and have to say that the gate crew at JFK is the worst on Delta's circuit. They give Delta a bad name!
Old May 10, 2010, 6:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Ugh. I will echo that JFK is a hot mess... I've been flying out of it weekly now since April and man-oh-man.

Good things:
1) Someone at SkyPriority security lane actually checking BP's
2) Skytrain is convenient
3) ??

Bad things:
1) Gates are all crazy (My first time in there, I accidentally tried to go to B20 instead of just plain old 20 - doesn't follow standard naming conventions of other airports)
2) Environmental controls are off. It's either blisteringly hot or frigidly cold.
3) GAs are bad, bad, bad. I often fly out of Gate 23, the RJ octopus. I have NEVER been Priority boarded (they just mumble out - boarding all zones flt XXXX). And, there is no SkyPriority lane "discipline" either. Everyone funnels into one giant, messy line. Ugh.
Old May 10, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Agree. I've even had a SkyClub agent try and standby/SDC me when I was running early on a connection - she looked at what gate was involved, sighed, and said that the crew that works those gates won't do anything to help passengers (those were the commuter/Comair gates). The agents working the RJ gates at JFK are some of the worst in the system.
Old May 10, 2010, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
AA in JFK: ^^^
DL in JFK: AVOID at ALL COSTS

DL employees in SLC: ^^^ the best
DL employees in JFK: THE WORST

JFK is a dump and has the worst employees. Things just always seem to go wrong there and thats before you sit on the tarmac for an hour and a half to takeoff.

If i can offer some adivce to Flyertalkers out there avoid JFK when you fly delta if at all possible it really is awful and from my experience none of the complaints in the multiple forums you can read on here seem exaderated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.