Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When did SAN go from "tough" to "impossible" for upgrades...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When did SAN go from "tough" to "impossible" for upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by CMK10
I've flown LAX-SAN-BOS on AA on an award ticket when I couldn't get a seat on LAX-BOS. Nothing stupid about taking connections, it's how a lot of people qualify for status/save money.
There were a couple of ladies next to me on the Red Line bus yesterday that had come in on AA from LAX and were connecting to DFW and had a relatively tight connection that they were fretting about.
Old May 17, 2010, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by mersk862
There were a couple of ladies next to me on the Red Line bus yesterday that had come in on AA from LAX and were connecting to DFW and had a relatively tight connection that they were fretting about.
That's two for AA.... still don't think ANYONE would want to connect through SAN on a Delta flight.

Nearly every flight to JFK or ATL is MUCH cheaper from LAX than from SAN...
Old May 29, 2010, 7:26 am

Hey OP....I (FO) was confirmed 36 hours out on a MSP-SAN T fare.
Old May 29, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by seychellesbound
Hey OP....I (FO) was confirmed 36 hours out on a MSP-SAN T fare.
No luck for me last Sat MSP-SAN FO on T fare
Old May 29, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
As a SAN based PM, I'm 100% for upgrades to/from SAN. I don't fly a lot, but the last few weeks I've done several flights, mostly to ATL. I'm very pleased this year with my upgrade ratio. I can only recall one flight (ATL-PHL) that I was stuck in coach. On that flight I was #1 on the upgrade list.

On my return DCA-SAN flight next week I got upgraded 6 days out, via ATL.
Old May 29, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
So far this year (all on LUT fares)
ATL-SAN -> 3 of 5 for upgrades
SAN-ATL -> 0 for 5 for upgrades (and often sitting next to Golds and Plats complaining that they didn't get an upgrade!)

as of 7-15,
ATL-SAN -> 5 of 6
SAN-ATL -> 0 of 6 (am or pm, doesn't seem to matter!)

Last edited by Geogirl1234; Jul 15, 2010 at 1:40 pm Reason: update
Old May 30, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM
no upgrade

Thursday night 5/27 SAN ATL red eye, Diamond M fare, no upgrade. No complaints, just no upgrade.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL gold, marriott silver
SAN-ATL Upgrade

Gold Elite and will be traveling on Monday afternoon from SAN to ATL.... on a U fare on a 757....what are the odds of getting an upgrade? Also, traveling with a Diamond on the same itinerary...

I look forward to hearing your responses.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Contradancer
Thursday night 5/27 SAN ATL red eye, Diamond M fare, no upgrade. No complaints, just no upgrade.
ouch...
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:15 pm

My upgrades this weekend cleared at the window. Mem-San and San-atl. Even was able to snag a last minute F award ticket if I'd wanted to bring the better half.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:28 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by halifaxflyer
Gold Elite and will be traveling on Monday afternoon from SAN to ATL.... on a U fare on a 757....what are the odds of getting an upgrade? Also, traveling with a Diamond on the same itinerary...

I look forward to hearing your responses.
The OP obviously has a tough time with UGs, but from what I've read others clears with more ease. Flying monday afternoon should improve your chances (over a monday am flight), though flying on a U fare won't help matters.

Flying with a DM will not improve your chances. If you are on the same PNR (as opposed to having linked reservations), you will lower his/her chances of an UG.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL-DM; HH-Gold; MR-Silver; Avis-First
LAX-SAN on a CR9 there were 4 FAs in first. I was way outnumbered
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
That's two for AA.... still don't think ANYONE would want to connect through SAN on a Delta flight.

Nearly every flight to JFK or ATL is MUCH cheaper from LAX than from SAN...
FWIW... I connected via SAN on a mileage run last fall.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:01 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Smile FO

2 weeks ago as an FO I got upgraded 48 hours in advance for both legs - SAN-SLC-CVG... I was shocked when I got the email. Being an FO its always a pleasant surprise to get upgraded, let alone before the window!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, Emirates Silver
Upgrade from San Diego

I read all these horrors stories but I live in SAN and my wife and I were Silver's last year and Gold this year. Between 7/09 and 7/10, we have flown 12 segments and we have been upgraded on 11 of the 12 segments. Are we just lucky?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.