Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

OK...so I under estimated Delta stupidity too

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK...so I under estimated Delta stupidity too

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, ex-UA 1P
Originally Posted by pbarnette
The problem is the foreign flag requirement. When I search on UA or EF, the only UA-coded flights to NBO involve codeshares on Brussels an CO (guessing timing precludes the UA flight to BRU. Regardless, even if you use the miles to upgrade only the EU-NBO flights, you are looking at 300k miles used. Throw in the, what, 100k in lost miles from lesser earning rates, and the OP is spending 400k miles to save 300k. It hardly makes sense.
I'm not versed in the in and outs of Fly America but it appears that codeshares aren't required for travel beyond Switzerland, unless the travel is DoD funded:

http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/con...ontentId=24833

Effective October 1, 2008, airlines of Switzerland shall have the right to transport passengers and cargo on scheduled and charter flights for which a U .S. Government civilian department, agency, or instrumentality:

1) Obtains the transportation for itself or in carrying out an arrangement under which payment is made by the Government or payment is made from amounts provided for the use of the Government...

Between any two points outside the United States . This Annex shall not apply to transportation obtained or funded by the Secretary of Defense or the Secretary of a military department.

Where are you seeing 300K? The *A upgrade awards table shows 30K for Eur-Africa upgrades from Y

http://www.united.com/ual/asset/SA_u...art_021110.pdf
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Originally Posted by ianturner
care to elaborate on what delta is doing that is upsetting you so much?
Please don't. I'm sure we can all take three guesses and probably nail at least two.

I agree with the general consensus that *A is the way to go. I did a status match to CO and have been really happy. CNBC is reporting that UA and CO could be ready to announce a merger as soon as Monday. Either way, you've got a ton of *A options to get you to NBO, and, looking long term, a combined UA/CO will be a pretty powerful US-flagged carrier.

Based on your spend, your experience may be different, but I tried a match to UA and they are only doing quasi-challenges which make you fly x-miles in x-months (for me, it was 3). Just mentioning that since you do stay in NBO for good lengths of time, and you'll want to plan a trip that's short enough to get all the miles you need if you want to do a UA match.

FWIW, I, too, would fly from DCA to ORD before I'd drive to IAD, but I guess it depends on where you live.

As for your 300k RDMs on DL, just redeem yourself a nice little SQ trip in J for the heck of it!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by jbatl
I agree with the general consensus that *A is the way to go.
Not sure where you are reading that general consensus in this thread. *A is not going to get you there in upgraded seats while complying with Fly America unless you build up miles in M&M and US/UA/CO, as you'll need one currency to upgrade transatlantic (where FAA requires an American-marketed flight), and another for the Europe-Africa segment. Definitely not an efficient use of miles.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by nycflyer
Where are you seeing 300K? The *A upgrade awards table shows 30K for Eur-Africa upgrades from Y

http://www.united.com/ual/asset/SA_u...art_021110.pdf
The 300k is for 30k x 10. The OP makes this flight routinely. 10x may be on the high side, but even if it is 5, then you are looking at 150k miles for the EU-Africa upgrades + close to 50k miles lost from the fact that the other airlines don't give 150% RDMs for full Y + roughly 25k miles because you earn a 125% bonus as a DM, vs 100% elsewhere. That means you are netting an additional 225k miles each year going with DL.

Since the OP says that the reason they want to switch is because they have 300k miles and having trouble using them, I fail to see how giving away roughly 200k miles per year for upgrades and lost earnings with another carrier makes any sense at all. Even if the OP has to redeem at higher rates with DL, they earn enough to cover that, and likely even a bit more. Since they are batting 100%, it seems, on upgrades, it really is a no-brainer to stay with DL.

Seriously, I wish my decision were this simple.

Last edited by pbarnette; Apr 30, 2010 at 10:16 am Reason: Bad Math
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lizzy queen of the conference room
(why are the dutch so mean?).
If you think the Dutch are mean, then you don't understand the Dutch.
We're practical. We're to the point. We're generally pretty friendly. We're not really into "sugar-coating" however.

As far as your question goes, if you are looking to get to Africa from DCA, I agree with others that say that DL/KL/AF is your best option. You get better options with other airlines if you're willing to depart from IAD. If not, I would say that whatever DL has done has to be REALLY bad to switch.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I can't figure out why IAD is out of the question, especially given the travel budget the OP has. Surely, surely, a cab to IAD has got to be a better option than an extra connection, and on an RJ to boot.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:51 pm

I think the better question is why SkyMilesInsider doesn't PM the OP to get in contact. That's a ton of margin to let walk.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
My biggest issue is that I have 300k+ FF miles with Delta...but they are so stupid in how they deal with me. My travel budget for this year is 80k and last year I spent 67k with them...but they can't seem to get anything right with customer service. Its sad. I'm 100% on UG and have been able to use everyone of my SWU.

I don't want to leave, but I don't know how else to deal with them.

Does anyone have opinions (yeah like someone on FT doesn't have opinions) on CO?

Maybe the better question is...What alliance is the best for me?
I'm thoroughly confused.

You say you're upgraded 100% of the time. You've had no problems using SWUs. You've run out of them, but you have 300K miles to use toward upgrades.

I've read through every post here and I can't figure out what you're complaining about. Except for the Dutch. You're complaining about them, but I'm not quite sure why.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
I'm thoroughly confused.

You say you're upgraded 100% of the time. You've had no problems using SWUs. You've run out of them, but you have 300K miles to use toward upgrades.

Based on the post below (emphasis mine):

My tickets are always about $7k (I can not buy a J even if it is cheaper) and I loath the idea of ever flying in coach EVER again. I will use SWU or miles or money out of my pocket to not be in the back for the 20 hour flight.
I speculate the OP is in the position where revenue management didn't (recent flight) or won't (future flight) release inventory for a millage upgrade. CSRs generally aren't empowered to do anything in these situations but tell you to pound sand. Even though the Full-Y fare is likely fully refundable.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by DHAST
I can't figure out why IAD is out of the question, especially given the travel budget the OP has. Surely, surely, a cab to IAD has got to be a better option than an extra connection, and on an RJ to boot.
I don't think she wants to be inconvenienced by anything, coach or a few extra minutes to reach IAD. When she nixed IAD, I figure her quest was hopeless.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by DHAST
Surely, surely, a cab to IAD has got to be a better option than an extra connection, and on an RJ to boot.
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I don't think she wants to be inconvenienced by anything, coach or a few extra minutes to reach IAD. When she nixed IAD, I figure her quest was hopeless.
+1

Doesn't want to spend 1 hour to get to IAD in order to remove 4 hours from travel time.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Exactly.

I started doing DTW because it gave me 2k more miles and kept me off the KLM direct flight to AMS
I HATE KLM.
I love AF.
I am not unwilling to go to IAD...but I would prefer DCA even if I have to go thru Chicago.

What? No pony?

While I'm no friend of DL, she lost me at the crack about KLM and the Dutch.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:08 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
OP! where are you? I'm into this novel now and want to get to the next page. Chapter 3 - "what in the heck did Delta do to you? and was the rep Dutch?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.