Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

OK...so I under estimated Delta stupidity too

Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Plat, SPG gold

I am upset at Delta...very upset...

Without going into the reasons why I now believe that flying Delta is a waste of my company's money...I have questions:

• What airline would be the best to make friends with? (I mostly fly to Africa from DCA, and my company will only pay for a full Y, So international upgrades are VERY important)

• does anyone know how to move Delta miles to another airline
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by lizzy queen of the conference room

Without going into the reasons why I now believe that flying Delta is a waste of my company's money...I have questions:

• What airline would be the best to make friends with? (I mostly fly to Africa from DCA, and my company will only pay for a full Y, So international upgrades are VERY important)

To Africa, your options would be foreign airlines.
AF/KL/BA/AZ/LH connecting in Europe
EK in DXB
SAA in JNB

If international upgrades are important. Good luck, these carriers are as stingy, if not stingier, than DL. DL will upgrade you on a Y fare for 15K (or is it 10K) miles each direction or one Upgrade Cert. These are clearable day of departure if inventory (J) exists and is based on waitlist priority. You can clear earlier than that if Z is available.

Delta miles aren't transferable
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:47 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!

I hope you really mean WAS and not DCA. If you can fly from IAD you have more options available with fewer connections.

ET is another option to/via ADD

SN flies via BRU to various cities in Africa

And I am sure we missed a couple.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

My company requires a US based airline or code share. And I don't like the drive to IAD, so I do mean DCA.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
http://www.kenyaairports.co.ke/kaa/a...lines_int.html
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
KLM is a code share and they go to NBO if you can connect in AMS. I love the KLM service as well.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:58 pm

My company requires a US based airline or code share. And I don't like the drive to IAD, so I do mean DCA.
Delta is probably going to be your best option to Africa with the frequency of flights and number of destinations.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
United starts flying nonstop from Dulles to Accra starting on June 20. The drive to Dulles from downtown is still likely better than the convenience of DCA but connecting.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 5:06 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by mersk862
United starts flying nonstop from Dulles to Accra starting on June 20. The drive to Dulles from downtown is still likely better than the convenience of DCA but connecting.
United is the way to go. You can use your SWUs on UA or LH, or you can upgrade with miles. Even if you don't get an upgrade to business, you'll get economy plus seating for free, which is usually an extra 5" on international flights (as long as it's UA metal).
Old Apr 27, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by cfw
United is the way to go. You can use your SWUs on UA or LH, or you can upgrade with miles. Even if you don't get an upgrade to business, you'll get economy plus seating for free, which is usually an extra 5" on international flights (as long as it's UA metal).
United and IAD is the way to go.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

My biggest issue is that I have 300k+ FF miles with Delta...but they are so stupid in how they deal with me. My travel budget for this year is 80k and last year I spent 67k with them...but they can't seem to get anything right with customer service. Its sad. I'm 100% on UG and have been able to use everyone of my SWU.

I don't want to leave, but I don't know how else to deal with them.

Does anyone have opinions (yeah like someone on FT doesn't have opinions) on CO?

Maybe the better question is...What alliance is the best for me?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL: DM / Royal Ambassador /PC:Plat / Hertz:5*
My biggest issue is that I have 300k+ FF miles with Delta...but they are so stupid in how they deal with me. My travel budget for this year is 80k and last year I spent 67k with them...but they can't seem to get anything right with customer service. Its sad. I'm 100% on UG and have been able to use everyone of my SWU.

Does anyone have opinions (yeah like someone on FT doesn't have opinions) on CO?

I am biased to *A after living in Hawaii (UA) and ORD (UA). Reward tickets, 1K experience always met my expectations. The overall alliance seemed incredible for getting me around the globe. With the spend, you could possibly get invited to GS, just depends....
Old Apr 27, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
*A is the best alliance if you cannot abide DL. Then you can use UA. You'll be far better off leaving through IAD than DCA, and the drive would seem to be trivial compared with the mess of connections you'll have with any DCA option. You did not mention your Africa destinations but you should already know that there are few US flag options, and not many codeshare options. I'm sure you already are flying non-US much of the time. With *A, at least you've a few options that cover the continent fairly well. It would help if we knew which destinations you required most frequently.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Delta is so stupid with a lot of us.

CO is better than UA for spending miles (do a search on "StarNet blocking") but otherwise I surmise UA & 1K status would be better for your business travel.

Or maybe LH ....

Last edited by MikeMpls; Apr 27, 2010 at 5:53 pm
Old Apr 27, 2010, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
$67k+/yr on full Y tickets would probably end up getting you Global Services status on United...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.