Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do I know if the plane I fly in on is the same one I'll fly back on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LatinPass Million Miler

I am looking to to a mini mileage run. I would like to fly in and fly back on the same plane so I don't have any potential to miss my flight back (if my flight in is delayed). Can I find out if the plane I fly in on is the same plane I fly back on about 40-50 minutes later?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
If they normally leave from the same gate, there the same plane.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL
You may run into a problem if you just want to go from one city and back as some planes go to one city and continue on to another. For example I know there is a plane that does SEA-CVG-TPA-CVG-SEA. So you couldn't take that to just do SEA-CVG and back.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
If your turnaround destination is a smaller city, the chances will be greater that you will fly out on the same plane you flew in. Cities with only one way in and one way out, such as small, southern towns connected only to ATL.

For example, LGA-ATL-MLB-ATL-LGA, you would almost be guaranteed to be on the same plane with a short turnaround.

Of course, these cities are really poor MR destinations, as the fares tend to be pretty high (captive audience phenomenon).
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Carbon
Be aware of some new (to me at least) check-in issues on this type of run. To use SEA-CVG-TPA-CVG-SEA as my example, my outbound check-in was for SEA-CVG-TPA. I figured on checking in for the return during the initial wait in CVG.

However, online check-in was unsuccessful in CVG, kiosk check-in was unsuccessful in CVG, and the nice lady in the CVG Sky Club told me check-in could not be done in city A for an itinerary commencing in city B. Additionally said she, the outbound itinerary had to be completed before check-in is allowed for the return, irrespective of being within the 24 hour time frame.

Fortunately, a gate agent in TPA was willing to check me in for the return. He was quizzical about how I got through security w/o a bp. Had it been necessary, there was actually enough time in TPA for me to exit, get the bp outside security and return, but that is not always the case in the quick turn MR's. YMMV.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:45 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by SeaBridge
Be aware of some new (to me at least) check-in issues on this type of run. .... Additionally said she, the outbound itinerary had to be completed before check-in is allowed for the return, irrespective of being within the 24 hour time frame....
Technically, the outbound itinerary doesn't need to be completed, but the BP must have been scanned. That means you could check in for the return once you've cleared the boarding scanner.

Earlier discussion is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rs-retrun.html
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
SEA-CVG-TPA-CVG-SEA

If the aircraft originates and terminates the same city this is called a closed-loop routing. When this type of schecule exsists, there is usually another aircraft of the same type that picks up a new routing the next day. If the airline say has 50 of this type of aircraft there are 50 routings with maintinance options so during the day a routing can be swiched if a partuclar aircraft needs to terminate at a station that can perform maintnence. The same aircraft would not fly the same routing everyday, escecially a closed loop routing as airlines like to flow aircraft throught the system.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jazzop
If your turnaround destination is a smaller city, the chances will be greater that you will fly out on the same plane you flew in. Cities with only one way in and one way out, such as small, southern towns connected only to ATL.

For example, LGA-ATL-MLB-ATL-LGA, you would almost be guaranteed to be on the same plane with a short turnaround.

Of course, these cities are really poor MR destinations, as the fares tend to be pretty high (captive audience phenomenon).
ATL-MLB-ATL does support your assertation but LGA-ATL-MLB does not. Though LGA-ATL-MLB might be sold as a "direct" flight there can often be equipment changes at the hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.