Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre Flight Beverage Service, fading fast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre Flight Beverage Service, fading fast

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Does anyone know why on a D1 flight, PDB is limited to OJ and champagne, but on a regular flight in F, all drinks are available? As D1 is the highest class of service wouldn't they offer the greatest selection?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Does anyone know why on a D1 flight, PDB is limited to OJ and champagne, but on a regular flight in F, all drinks are available? As D1 is the highest class of service wouldn't they offer the greatest selection?
Generally it's because of duty and DL has to pay whatever they open up on the ground. FC on non-domestic flights (to Canada, Mexico, etc) are the same way typically.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Generally it's because of duty and DL has to pay whatever they open up on the ground. FC on non-domestic flights (to Canada, Mexico, etc) are the same way typically.
But even D1 domestic, they won't offer you anything other than OJ or champagne
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MarkP24
But even D1 domestic, they won't offer you anything other than OJ or champagne
Then I would report this to DL. Last year, DL made a change specific to domestic D1 routes that PDB's where now supposed to be open bar. (although served in plastic like in domestic FC)

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
per DL communication to FAs it should be full open bar PDB.....sounds like a lazy crew.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL DM
Happy to say that on this afternoon's ANC-SEA flight PDB service was efficient, open bar, and the FA's seemed to conduct the service row by row with minimal disruption to the boarding process. As I was enjoying my PDB of Woodford an old colleague passed by on his back to Y. Nice to briefly catch up!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Then I would report this to DL. Last year, DL made a change specific to domestic D1 routes that PDB's where now supposed to be open bar. (although served in plastic like in domestic FC)
I'm not going to report it to Delta as it was a good crew, but I was a bit taken aback when they refused my request and insisted on champagne or OJ only as a PDB....
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
With the current boarding structure of sending Basic Economy to their middle seats in the back of the plane last, if there is a line anywhere in the cabin, an FA stopping boarding even for a minute to serve PDB's will not slow down the line and affect the time that the last carry-on is stowed.

If DL boarded window seats first or from back to front (which will never happen), I could see how PDB interrupting a line might slow down the departure by a minute or two.

Perhaps I could see DL curtailing PDB's when flying to a hub under an already significant delay, but flying from a hub to an outstation... they can make up any theoretical PDB 1-2 minute delay on the ground when they turn around.

My last delayed flight ATL-SFO was 40 minutes late to depart then fly into massive headwinds, so they did announce at the gate that PDB would not served since they could not "make up time in the air". Guy next to me was connecting to AKL on ANZ on 006 stock and still missed his connection.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
My JFK/DTW flight sunday on a small CRJ900 they managed to get a PDB done during boarding on a flight delayed over 2 hours (which I was thankful seeing we are on the ground for an hour in a long departure line).
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
My JFK/DTW flight sunday on a small CRJ900 they managed to get a PDB done during boarding on a flight delayed over 2 hours (which I was thankful seeing we are on the ground for an hour in a long departure line).
I was on a delayed flight by 20 minutes or so last week, and they skipped the PDB (gate agents even made an announcement to all passengers that they were skipping pre departure service for F to expedite boarding....)
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This was so bizarre I didn't know what to make of it.

Some other pax behind us had been served, but I hadn't, and since I was in the window, I hit the call button.

FA walked over, turned it off, and walked away. Thinking it was a mistake, I hit it again. He walked by, turned it off without even making eye contact, and disappeared into the galley until pushback.

No PDB.

​​​​​
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This was so bizarre I didn't know what to make of it.

Some other pax behind us had been served, but I hadn't, and since I was in the window, I hit the call button.

FA walked over, turned it off, and walked away. Thinking it was a mistake, I hit it again. He walked by, turned it off without even making eye contact, and disappeared into the galley until pushback.

No PDB.

​​​​​
I'd be reporting that behavior ASAP, not because of a missed PDB but the ignoring you and turning off the call button.

My recent success has been 100% since October last year, but that's only a sample size of 7 legs.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
When I used my GUCs on ATL-MUC and return in mid-January 2019, the FAs were offering Heineken as a PDB along with sparkling wine, OJ and mimosas.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
PDB RIP ?

4 trips in the last week. No PDB or even a mention there-of. Just lazy crew? Or is this a thing of the past?

In the past they at least apologized with "sorry we were catered late" or "we were in a hurry" etc but now nothing.

To me its not a big deal, but I just feel like the standard level of service is degrading (see my other post about the missing Snack basket in C+)

/end rant
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:21 pm

There are other threads on this topic, but my experience in 2019 is the PDB is alive and well.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
In something like 25 flights this year, I have been offered a PDB every time except once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.