Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Actions Speaks Louder Than Words: Did You Stop Flying Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Actions Speaks Louder Than Words: Did You Stop Flying Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
Yeah.

I think that there are a lot of people - especially in NYC, and probably in ATL - that are on DL because of the route network and we just play the game as best we can with the SM program.

The new TK triple-7s do look pretty sweet... I might go check them out after next month when I've hit GM.

I will join in the hate-fest to say that I've once MR-ed to hit PM and I will never do that again... with ridiculous M+ fares and worthless PMUs, there's just not enough benefit over GM to justify another dime.

I know about the lounge benefit for Elite+, but I bought Priority Pass and have been very happy with it so far - every where except JFK 2/3.

Originally Posted by 5khours
Maybe you are the exception that proves the rule. If I were you, I might be thinking the UA codeshare on TA for IST and LH for NCE (if you're MP elite you get double miles on LH and can use your SWU on LH as well as UA). Don't think there is a good *A choice for CDG, but I hear CO is upgrading their interiors. Suspect you've already checked this all out
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Another one here. 11 years NW elite, 6 as plat - did about 100K EQM last year.

Took match to CO, since diverting all my travel to *. After my full-fare trip to Europe next week, will be at about 35K YTD EQM on CO.

About 3,200 on DL YTD -- all one trip that I booked before I jumped.

Not loving EWR, but pretty happy otherwise. It's a business decision for DL, and has to be for me too.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: NWA Tears
We'd already booked a bunch of flights last year for the first 3 quarters this year so are flying those out for now. May status match over to CO / *A later this year for future bookings. Main thing that would keep us is that we much prefer AMS as a hub and KL EC+ seats are a valuable step up from standard economy (though UA has a similar product).
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:23 pm

In 2010 I only plan on burning my DL miles on low tier award flying in Domestic only. I currently don't fly international. If I have to do any other domestic ticket purchases, it will not be on Delta unless they are the cheapest option. I used to pay extra to fly Delta out of NY but now I won't. I will purchase Southwest or Jet Blue for flights out of JFK or ISP. I don't want to do this but I will until Delta opens up low tier and fixes the calendar.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:47 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
I expect to reduce my paid flying on Delta by 40% this year, and then another 65% next year. I anticipate a total 2-year reduction of 80%.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA - PP
Sadly, I'm a DL captive if I want non-stop flights for my commute.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta
10+ years of NW Elite 6 at Platnimum out of DTW, Tired of increased prices from DTW post merger, travel to SMF regularly and am now switching to UA. The difference between NW service agents beat Delta hands down and I survived the Republic merger, but this merger has me changing. I have started to asking where they worked pre-merger following poor service and here Delta, my only response is that it shows. Delta should send everyone of their gate agents in SLC and ATL to charm school.

Look at the recent today sale on Delta, do you see DTW mentioned anywhere?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
So far I'm still flying with DL as its going to take me a bit to burn through my miles and I don't like the prospect of rebuilding a balance somewhere else. The time will come though if they don't do something about the awards as its going to make it burn faster.

The one thing I have done is refused to renew my SC membership and I have written them to tell them why. The membership just isnt' worth it will all the location losses.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I ditched DL last year from a GM. Don't like DL Skymiles redemption levels. I can't ever seem to get awards at lower levels, totally sick of schedule changes, cancelled flights on award tickets and not being able to re-schedule on n/s flights, starting and stopping service........ya da ya da.

Cancelled DL Amex and am now burning thru 200,000+ miles. Now that CO is in *A, I am booking all my travel on UA/CO. Haven't looked back and glad I did it. Ciao DL - I wish you luck with un-customer friendly decisions.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Stop? No, not completely - would still rather fly DL than US or UA.

Cut back? Yep. I did about 250,000 qualifying miles last year - >130,000 were on AA, 10,000 were on CO, a handful on B6, and the remainder on DL (about 100,000 including DEQMs and the "gift"). In the past, DL would have gotten about twice what they got.

DL got four international flights (including an award trip) and a handful of domestics.

Several of the bookings with other airlines were the DIRECT result of problems with DL's booking engine.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM or DM for 24 years, SkyClub: Lifetime, Delta Million Miler
I joined FT today. Was reading FT for many years. I joined because Delta is whining about all the negativity towards Delta on FT.

What Delta doesn't know is that I have booked flights for about 20 people over the last 10 years and I did pay a bit extra or flew the longer, less convenient routes in the past (with NWA) to stay loyal to NWA. Most flights were International flights, some in Business Class, some in Coach. But No More...now everyone travels on the cheapest ticket possible and most of them choose Non-USA-Airlines.

I would like to be constructive and give Delta a chance to change some policies. Here are a few of my suggestions.

1. Give SM 50% Mileage Bonus, GM 100%, PM 125%, DE 150%
2. More "saver" Mileage Flight availibility
3. Free 20kg checked lugguage and limit carryon to 10kg for Coach Domestic travel for everyone and more checked for Elites;
4. Replace Flight Attendants
5. Mileage upgrade and upgrade Certificates without minimum fare class for Elites but stagered mileage amount according to Elite level
6. Companion upgrade according to higher level of the two travelers on same booking
7. Upgrade clearance for Mileage Tickets same as purchased ticket but below T fare
8. Upgrade Sky Clubs
9. Free Food on Transcontinental Flights, better priced/quality purchased food
10. No/reduced fees for Elites'
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Comped to PL on CO. Plan the transition in August. Had to book one last flight on DL because of a funky itn with a tight time schedule in May.

Hard to do @ Diamond with a three year membership in the SkyClub. I would have also said a lot of miles (~ 500 K, but these seem to be worthless for both upgrades and travel).

Early signs are that service for DM's is picking up, but...

Switched from DL to NW about 6 years ago. Here we go again!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Got comped to Plat on CO just this month, after seeing (1) continued horrors with award availability and the DL award booking engine (the NW engine had previously made it more bearable) and (2) the outrageous increases in M fares.

100% of business travel and much of my personal travel will be on CO. Plus my company lets me book business for any flight over 4h which means a big revenue transfer away from Delta.

I will likely requalify for Plat this year because of the huge rollover from last year and several previously booked flights. But let me say this specifically to DL: every high revenue ticket that I book from now on will be on CO until you fix award bookings.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Sticking with DL, but have picked up more flights on Midwest and taken the DL miles. It's very, very odd that the worlds largest airline can't get its web site working right. Very odd.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
every high revenue ticket that I book from now on will be on CO until you fix award bookings.
What happens if it turns out you just like CO better, even if they do fix their award calendar?

Switching is a PITA. Even if DL fixes their stuff, I'll have already switched, so just matching where I've gone to won't cut it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.