Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta recycling tops US carriers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:50 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Thumbs up Delta recycling tops US carriers

I've always wondered if there was any meat to DL's claims about their recycling program that loop on the AVOD units while boarding.

Our frequent flying increases our "global footprint," and I'm happy to see Delta is aware and doing something about it. Would still be nice to see a carbon offset option when booking on DL.com to further reduce our negative impact on the environment.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/03/02...ort/index.html
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I believe they had (or still have) the option to offset the carbon footprint on the bottom where you can add hotel and rental car reservations.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Since it has come up, post service standardization I have noticed that all waste is collected in the silver Delta branded shopping bags (great use of resources ) rather than a seperate bag for trash and recycling. I asked a FA about this and was told it is sorted later but have my doubts. Jetting through the sky is not going to be offset by recylcing a can but I also know I don't like being misled. Any insight as to what really happens?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Thumbs up

This is a something that I care a lot about and very glad to see Delta rating high. I hope we can all be advcates for them reaching for an "A" grade on the next report. ^
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Since it has come up, post service standardization I have noticed that all waste is collected in the silver Delta branded shopping bags (great use of resources ) rather than a seperate bag for trash and recycling. I asked a FA about this and was told it is sorted later but have my doubts. Jetting through the sky is not going to be offset by recylcing a can but I also know I don't like being misled. Any insight as to what really happens?
You probably didn't notice this, but those are the same bags that the galley restock items arrive in. They re-use the bags after unloading all the junk. Makes good sense to me - that way you don't need to maintain separate inventories for simple trash bags.

Anyway, kudos to Delta!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Recycling is very high on my list of things I'd like to see DL fix..... NOT
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
This is a something that I care a lot about and very glad to see Delta rating high. I hope we can all be advcates for them reaching for an "A" grade on the next report. ^
+1. KUDOS to DL for this!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:19 am

Shouldn't a topic that asserts a belief in the ideology of global warming and so-called ''carbon footprints'' be in Omni-PR????????????????????? Personally, it turns my stomach to see an airline knuckle under for this ''political correctness'' crap.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:31 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by 5khours
Recycling is very high on my list of things I'd like to see DL fix..... NOT
Wow only 6 posts before someone made some negative comment. I was betting on 3 when I opened the thread.

Things like this are largely independent of things like the Award calendar and things most folks are complaining about. While it'd be great if they fixed those things first it would be wrong for them not to make other improvements while they are waiting for those fixes.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Carolinian
Shouldn't a topic that asserts a belief in the ideology of global warming and so-called ''carbon footprints'' be in Omni-PR????????????????????? Personally, it turns my stomach to see an airline knuckle under for this ''political correctness'' crap.
Recylcing is nothing more than politically correct crap? Ooooooooook.

Good on DL for doing something right.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, DL MM
I spent a great deal of time in Gate Gourmet's (DL's largest food supplier) kitchens over the last couple of years, and I can confirm that they do indeed recycle at many of their kitchens. I don't know if they require the trash/recycling to be presorted in order for it to be properly processed, though.

If it is internationally inbound, it does not get recycled. It gets sterilized, then thrown out.

Kudos to DL on this one, for sure!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:14 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I note on a few flghts that the waste is sorted partly by the FA.
Any recycling is good.

If only they would add the Award Calendar to it!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:38 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by Carolinian
OK, Sarah Palin...
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by judolphin
Recylcing is nothing more than politically correct crap? Ooooooooook.

Good on DL for doing something right.
Recycling isn't automatically "something right".

Depending on the type of item, recycling can be more harmful to the environment than using virgin materials and more costly even after taking into account the negative externalizes involved.

The reality is that flying around on planes which burn thousands of gallons of fuel per hour is a dirty business. No amount of feel good recycling of water bottles on board can change that. Buying carbon credits is merely the modern equivalent of buying papal indulgences.

Sorry for taking this in the Omni PR direction...
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
From the article, the A grade wasn't reached because of recycling on international flights.. I don't know how feasable that is, as CBP/Ag Dept has pretty strict rules on garbage off of international flights.. I'd like to see that requirement removed from the survey, as that's very much so outside the control of the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.