Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can any Delta insider help with new PU procedure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can any Delta insider help with new PU procedure?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: BA silver
I'm confirmed to HNL using the new 2010 PMU's but not traveling until October. The reservation in booked in G class and the receipt is still showing COACH. I called Delta and they said the certificate numbers are in the reservation and it was put on que for reissue but this would not be done until closer to departure.
Should I wait until at least 30 days out before calling again, if the ticket is not reissued sooner or call now and have them do it (if they will)?

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dw8146
My experience has been that the reticketing at the 48 hour window does not take place. In fact the DM CSR told me it would occur the day before the flight, but would "push" it through for me today. Happily, that has finally happened as I just received the email confirmation with the cabin correctly showing First/Business rather than Coach.
This is exactly my fear. There are NUMEROUS examples of this and also NUMEROUS examples of DL actually able to do this over the phone. I'm sick of blanket responses of "it'll be fine" and "you're buddies probably did something wrong".

Either the agents are VERY POORLY TRAINED (which is likely the case), but I wish DL agents would start listening and elevate this issue (not just for me, but for all elites).

This is yet another area where DL has dropped the ball big time.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:37 am
k2

Yesterday I booked a B fare to NRT for next weekend and upped to Z using certs. The DM agent seemed very knowledgeable and said reticketing occurs 5 days before departure. Another new data point... LOL
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
my reticket to South America into Z happened at about 36 hrs before departure.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
I do find this whole PMU thing a bit confusing. I recently booked an M fare DCA > MSP >NRT > TPE.
I purchased this about 1.5 weeks before the flight and I was able to get MSP > NRT confirmed in J as well as the entire return trip confirmed in J. This was using a paper PMU from last year.

After reading this thread, I tried to follow it. About a week out I called CS and was told that they "added it to the queue" for reissuing. I waited a few more days and received no e-mail so I called back and was told it should be processed 48 hours before the flight. Also when I am calling in the agent keeps asking me if I am using miles (despite the fact they if they look further they can see the PMU #s tied to the reservation).
I go to check in for the flight (24 hours before) and the online check in option is unavailable. I call and I am told that this is because my ticket hasn't been reissued. They told me this could be done at the airport.

At the time I was waitlisted for DCA > MSP and NRT > TPE but confirmed in J on MSP > NRT. She said if she reissues the ticket then I might lose my place in line for the waitlists. I told her not to do anything. I called CS right back and a rep assured me that they could go ahead and reissue the ticket without me losing my place on the list so we went ahead with this.
I tried online check in again, but after clicking check in, I just got a message telling me it was "checking me in" but never a confirmation... it just stayed there. I tried this a few more times but same results (using different browsers as well).
So I head to DCA to check in the morning of the flight and its like they have never processed a PMU before. At one point she tells me there is a note about "Passenger declining upgrade!" No idea where this came from only thing I can think of is this happened when my ticket was reissued while I was still wait listed for J on two flights.
The agent brings two other agents to look into the situation. One of them seemed to know the ropes pretty well. It took them ~20 minutes to work things out. I was then on the upgrade list for DCA > MSP and confirmed in J on MSP > NRT and NRT > TPE. DCA > MSP never cleared but no big deal.

Hopefully with the new SWUs, there is some better training in place so people

Bottom line, be sure you give yourself extra time at the airport to handle the PMUs.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by k2
Yesterday I booked a B fare to NRT for next weekend and upped to Z using certs. The DM agent seemed very knowledgeable and said reticketing occurs 5 days before departure. Another new data point... LOL
5 days, 48 hours, blah blah blah. SMI, please read that this needs to get addressed.

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
my reticket to South America into Z happened at about 36 hrs before departure.
Did you get an email to confirm?

Originally Posted by timetosave
I do find this whole PMU thing a bit confusing. I recently booked an M fare DCA > MSP >NRT > TPE.
I purchased this about 1.5 weeks before the flight and I was able to get MSP > NRT confirmed in J as well as the entire return trip confirmed in J. This was using a paper PMU from last year.

After reading this thread, I tried to follow it. About a week out I called CS and was told that they "added it to the queue" for reissuing. I waited a few more days and received no e-mail so I called back and was told it should be processed 48 hours before the flight. Also when I am calling in the agent keeps asking me if I am using miles (despite the fact they if they look further they can see the PMU #s tied to the reservation).
I go to check in for the flight (24 hours before) and the online check in option is unavailable. I call and I am told that this is because my ticket hasn't been reissued. They told me this could be done at the airport.

At the time I was waitlisted for DCA > MSP and NRT > TPE but confirmed in J on MSP > NRT. She said if she reissues the ticket then I might lose my place in line for the waitlists. I told her not to do anything. I called CS right back and a rep assured me that they could go ahead and reissue the ticket without me losing my place on the list so we went ahead with this.
I tried online check in again, but after clicking check in, I just got a message telling me it was "checking me in" but never a confirmation... it just stayed there. I tried this a few more times but same results (using different browsers as well).
So I head to DCA to check in the morning of the flight and its like they have never processed a PMU before. At one point she tells me there is a note about "Passenger declining upgrade!" No idea where this came from only thing I can think of is this happened when my ticket was reissued while I was still wait listed for J on two flights.
The agent brings two other agents to look into the situation. One of them seemed to know the ropes pretty well. It took them ~20 minutes to work things out. I was then on the upgrade list for DCA > MSP and confirmed in J on MSP > NRT and NRT > TPE. DCA > MSP never cleared but no big deal.

Bottom line, be sure you give yourself extra time at the airport to handle the PMUs.
How is making elites go through this hassle best in class? Please DL, get this addressed.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I just spent an hour on the phone with the Diamond line trying to purchase a new ticket to SYD. The agent talked with no fewer than three service desks trying to use my PU465 (upgrade any fare) certs. After an hour she gave up, asked for my number and told me she'd call me back after she was able to get the ticket issued into business class, assuming she's even able to do that.

The Diamond line is helping me out here and I feel badly that the agent has to go through this but she said they were never trained on how to use the new PU465 certs. And it being 1am PT (so 2am SLC time) there are few people around who can help her right now.

Hopefully this all ends well and when I wake up I'll have a ticket to SYD in biz class with the fare that I found online (and the agent quoted me).

-RM
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:00 am
k2

Originally Posted by timetosave

Not only is the process confusing, but as your story clearly demonstrates, it often breaks and the customer is left holding the bag.

Hey DL, this is pathetic!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM'r,
Here's my experience with redeeming the new electronic PMUs. First of all, I want to thank everyone for their feedback on this issue. Without your help I probably would have had a problem when I went to check in tomorrow.

I booked a CVG-CDG rt on March 2nd, called right away and was told upgrades were available and the SMS DM operator took my cert #s.

I called back two weeks later about a different reservation and asked about my CVG-CDG ticket. The DM operator that time said that it couldn't be processed without the redemption codes which the first operator didn't even ask about. No problem, I give her the redemption numbers and she says it in the queue for rebooking.

This morning I call because its within the 48 hour window and still no reissue. At first I'm told its been reissued but I insist no it hasn't. Then the question, "how are you upgrading"? When I explain she says the cert #s and redemption codes aren't on my ticket and I insist the info is there. She then says oh its here but in the wrong place! ARGGHH. Apparently, it got put into the right place because late this afternoon I finally got my ticket reissued.

It really shouldn't be this hard. Again thanks for all the heads up from FT members.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Wow, what a broken process.

I'm flying in 10 days, and am already stressing out over having to fight to get my ticket. My upgrade cleared immediately (DTW-LAS: poor use of a SWU, bit I don't pay YBM to fly internationally), but the ticket still hasn't reissued.

Delta turned this perk into an unnecessary, stressful ordeal. Again, not the best way to treat your most loyal customer, DL.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So much for "New and improved SWUs" huh?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bostonbali

I'm flying in 10 days, and am already stressing out over having to fight to get my ticket. My upgrade cleared immediately (DTW-LAS: poor use of a SWU, bit I don't pay YBM to fly internationally), but the ticket still hasn't reissued.

Delta turned this perk into an unnecessary, stressful ordeal. Again, not the best way to treat your most loyal customer, DL.
Please, Bostonbali, keep us informed
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by bostonbali

I've posted on previous threads regarding the PU mess...

I just returned from Hawaii using a PU465 and a PU503. Despite following the same arduous process as many of you, there were still issues when checking in last week for the outbound portion.

Even though I had been re-ticketed and correctly booking into 'G' and 'F' classes, I was still asked for the certificates at the counter. In fairness to the agent the matter was quickly resolved when I responded they are electronic and all the information is in my record locator. He simply issued the boarding passes.

On the return, using a PU465, I can't really say what would've happened had I checked-in with Delta...Hawaiian printed my boarding passes all the way through at Lihue even though the reservation wasn't linked to Delta.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
[QUOTE=mnredfox;13615015]5 days, 48 hours, blah blah blah. SMI, please read that this needs to get addressed.

Did you get an email to confirm?

yes i did get an automatic email. Just to double check, i sent myself an email and received the same information. I was mistaken it was 30 hrs before my flight. 8:30 AM day before, my flight was leaving at 2 pm the next day
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:24 pm

Well my PMU saga continues. After talking with the PM line three times with the latest promise of it being done 1 week beforehand, guess what? Still not reissued at t-7 days.

So I call the PM line tonight. Get an agent in CVG who listens to my story. Says she has to transfer me to the "reissue desk". Sounds promising.

Get an agent at the reissue desk who says she can't help me because there is a "special group" who processes the upgrades. Apparently they work normal biz hours (no surprise) so she sends a special request to have them manually reissue the ticket. She also sends a backup email to her friend who works in that department to get it done. I'm supposed to get a call tomorrow.

Other things she mentioned:

- PM line apparently is officially in SLC
- Upgrade reissue team is in SLC
- My UG should have already been done, but since it is not it needs to be manually reissued

Agents tonight were very polite and kind (apologized for my frustration), but not fully able to resolve my issues. I hope I actually get a call tomorrow or this gets taken care of once and for all. Redeeming a PMU should NOT take 5 phone calls to the PM line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.