Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Internationl Upgrades - Simple Fix

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBadger
Yes, but how many miles are required for EXP? 100k, right? So how many DL elites are between 75-100k every year? And DL gives out another 6 at 125k. Does AA provide additional SWUs? Or just the 8?
EXP can be accomplished by flying as little as 66,667 miles of full fare Y or B or higher (business or first class) fares, as those fares earn 1.5 EQP per mile flown. Or 100k miles (of any fares) or 100 segments. By flying at least 125k last year, I earned 12 of them for use this year.

Since 1998, I've used over 100 AA SWUs and had exactly one fail to clear (in 2002). And I've never had to buy Y, B or M. At least half cleared upon booking. DL's program works for some, but it would not work for me.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by meh130
Agree. Use ExpertFlyer to find the Z fares, call and buy the upgraded M fare in a single step.

However, Z seats are assigned in an irregular manner, so I would like to see a system where if you have to fly on a certain day, and there are no Z-fares available at purchase, that you could be upgraded at the gate if seats are available and you are on the Z-waitlist.
+1, baby steps.

This is the system that should have always been in place and what I'm hoping they mean by SWU's being useable on the day of departure.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: Delta, mariott, national
I fly to Europe all of the time and Delta had definitely raised their prices. I am flying to MUC on Sunday and an H fare cost me 1800$, for that much you should have the opportunity to upgrade. M came out at $3600 and for fun I checked business - $9000 are you serious?

Really, I can't believe in this business climate any company would pay so much for tickets, maybe I am just working for the wrong company?

On the other hand, I flew ATL-LAX-TPE-NRT-ATL in January and got an M fare from NRT-ATl, total $1500. I was able to use a PMU on that one, I thought that was reasonable.

Tim
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The problem is that M fares are usually almost as much as discounted biz tickets. Not really a deal. And if you get a plane change or other problems you may ride in moo.
Yes, so the double whammy of M fare jackup and then not being able to use the PMU as Z isn't released.

I wonder the total rationale behind getting rid of SWU's that work with EEP/Threshold awards vs Choice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.