Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Internationl Upgrades - Simple Fix

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by kerbo
It seems to me the solution is simple: if you have an SWU and you buy a Y/B/M, ticket you should be able to confirm an upgrade if a seat is available at booking. If you buy a lower class of service ticket, then the SWU can be used at the gate if a seat is available.
Heck, I would like to see it so if you are Y/B/M and Z waitlisted, and there is a J seat available at the gate, you should get it.

Let's start small. No plane should dispatch with empty J seats and Y/B/M fare Z-waitlisted passengers in coach.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I agree with others that the OP's solution will not work.
Basically, DL has gotten into a problem where there are too many SWUs in circulation (since they're not useable!) to make them readily useable (people will realize this eventually and switch carriers).

I would suggest something like MadBrewer suggested to solve the problem:
YBM=1 SWU each way
HQ= 2 SWU each way
K= 3 SWU each way
LUT= keep dreaming
This would get SWUs off of the books, while at the same time providing incentive to earn MORE SWUs by flying more, and, it would mean for a PM, they have one r/t upgrade from H/Q (which are not THAT cheap either) or one one way upgrade on K.

This, to me, would be much more valuable than the current system, and would encourage me to keep earning SWUs.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MAH4546
No airline will do what?

AA SWUs can be used on any fare except consolidator fares to Latin America, and they also can clear weeks in advance, and often do if not peak travel. And AA on the waitlist, AA doesn't even take into consideration fare class - if the SWU was requested on a deep-discount Q fare before a higher fare, the Q fare request gets it first.

I believe UA also has extremely liberal rules for SWUs, as well.
Yes, but they also don't give out nearly as many of them!!!
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by DLItaly
Welcome to FT.

last year I used all my PMU (now SWU) and I'm not disappointed about them.
The only trick is: buy the M fare while on the phone with CSR and unpgrade your ticket immediately.
Agree. Use ExpertFlyer to find the Z fares, call and buy the upgraded M fare in a single step.

However, Z seats are assigned in an irregular manner, so I would like to see a system where if you have to fly on a certain day, and there are no Z-fares available at purchase, that you could be upgraded at the gate if seats are available and you are on the Z-waitlist.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by timf
I'd take that a step further and say I'd gladly pay TWICE the miles in order to upgrade from a K class fare. For example, to Asia each way:

From Full Economy Fare (Y) - 12,500
From Select Fares (B,M) - 25,000
From Discount Fares (H,Q,K) - 50,000
+1

I like the idea of buying a cheap fare to get the MQMs, rather than use miles to purchase the ticket. So this approach would be appealing to me. Add to this is it might be easier than the dreaded awards calendar, and it would drive revenue to DL, and retire financial liabilities from their balance sheet.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
Dream on. No airline will do this, and quite frankly I do not want to see T fares upgraded on day of departure. Realistically I would love to see them drop the fare class by one or two notches, and that could happen, but never anything more than that.
What r u talking abt? Have you seen American Airlines policy?
They allow upgrading tickets using SWUs on the lowest of the lowest class of service. There is no fare class which cannot be upgraded (They now even included I and O, which were earlier excluded. I have even upgraded consolidated fares sold by travel agents).
I get 8 SWU certificates every year and they are worth more than 80 Delta SWUs any time of the day.
Delta needs to wake up.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by FLLDL
600 TPAC flights is a lot. Out of curiosity, over how many years?
About 20 (10 RTs) a year for the last 30 years with a few before that as well.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by Dovster
Just to see what the savings would be, I looked for a r/t TLV-ATL with an M fare, departing March 4 and returning March 10. Price: $2931.69.

I then looked for the same itinerary with an I fare. I found it (but connecting through JFK) at $3310.69. Total savings with the M Fare: $379.

Moreover, I don't know whether there would be upgrades available for M fare tickets on those particular flights.
That has been my experience exactly. For the extra $349, I would much rather have the security of being much higher up on the uh-oh list if anything goes awry.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by GBadger
Yes, but they also don't give out nearly as many of them!!!
An AA EXP gets eight per year while a DL Plat gets 4 (or is one allowed to "double select" the SWUs so that one can get 8 as a choice benefit?).

Most importantly, an AA EXP is actually able to make use of his/her SWUs.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
The only way to fix this is to switch carriers. The problem started at NW a few years before the merger when NW made it almost impossible to UG with miles. I was a huge NW fan and made lots of phone calls and sent lots of email to try to get them to change. I was in denial for a year and a half before I finally made a change. Unfortunately I didn't know about FT back then, otherwise I would have benefited from the advice and encouragement of fellow travelers and made the switch earlier.

UA has a really good program where it is easy to UG on low cost fares and the seats in C are really, really comfortable. I understand AA has a good program too. It's really hard to make the jump after you have racked up all those miles, but at some point you just have to say "I'm not going to take it anymore."
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
An AA EXP gets eight per year while a DL Plat gets 4 (or is one allowed to "double select" the SWUs so that one can get 8 as a choice benefit?).

Most importantly, an AA EXP is actually able to make use of his/her SWUs.
Yes, but how many miles are required for EXP? 100k, right? So how many DL elites are between 75-100k every year? And DL gives out another 6 at 125k. Does AA provide additional SWUs? Or just the 8?

I think that:
8x(number of EXP) << 4x(number of PM) + 10x(number of DM)

It's not the amount of certs per person that's important, but the total number in circulation. The only ways for DL to reduce that number (while providing an attractive benefit) are to:
a) increase the number of SWUs necessary for certain transactions (like use on KQH fares)
b) give out fewer to their members (and taking away isn't popular).

The first option gives them a method to do this while actually giving us MORE options for redemption...in some ways, a rare win-win.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL Silver/1MM - EK Platinum - HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
Just to see what the savings would be, I looked for a r/t TLV-ATL with an M fare, departing March 4 and returning March 10. Price: $2931.69.

I then looked for the same itinerary with an I fare. I found it (but connecting through JFK) at $3310.69. Total savings with the M Fare: $379.

Moreover, I don't know whether there would be upgrades available for M fare tickets on those particular flights.
MXP-TYS 03/15 rt 03/25 1495Euros vs 3190 (tax included)

+ If my customer pay the trip he has an economy ticket and no discussion for me....
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Actually AF does a fairly decent job of encouraging revenue C seats by having lots of pricing flexibility. I pay for C on AF 6-7 times per year just because of that. I recently went GIG-CDG-LHR rather than the BA nonstop just because AF was half the price and with better service to boot.

If DL would do that I'd be buying their product too.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Actually AF does a fairly decent job of encouraging revenue C seats by having lots of pricing flexibility. I pay for C on AF 6-7 times per year just because of that. I recently went GIG-CDG-LHR rather than the BA nonstop just because AF was half the price and with better service to boot.

If DL would do that I'd be buying their product too.
+1 on the AF fares, but DL does the same thing - The 50-day advance purchase "I" fares are competitively priced with AF/LH/OZ/NH "Z" fares. I have flown TATL and TPAC on I/Z for <$3500 many times. I even flew to India from SYR to BLR on AF recently for ~$3700. This is a damn good deal given that full "C/J" price is >$10k.

TFD
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by GBadger
Yes, but how many miles are required for EXP? 100k, right? So how many DL elites are between 75-100k every year? And DL gives out another 6 at 125k. Does AA provide additional SWUs? Or just the 8?
AA offers a year-end bonus for EXPs that hit 125,000 miles, and with that members can choose to take four additional eVIPs. Furthermore, hitting 200,000 miles (or 200 segments or 200,000 points) will get another 8 by request.

Regardless, the basic point remains: AA eVIPs are remarkably useful, Delta's are not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.