Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

BOS to TPA Non-Stop Gone After April 5?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1.8MM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold

I've been checking the schedule for this route, and it looks like it goes from two non-stop flights on April 5 to zero starting April 6. Even during the summer, Delta usually has one daily n/s.

I see that JetBlue is going strong on this route with at least two and sometimes four flights a day through summer. And Southwest has one early morning direct flight (one stop, no change).

I hope Delta isn't handing this route over to these competitors.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Same thing happened FLL-BOS. Until last year, DL flew this route non-stop several times a day. Then JetBlue and Spirit put non-stops on the route and DL dropped out.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
It looks like DL pulled out as no more nonstop service even in December. Both AA and DL had several nonstops to Florida cities but that was before Jetblue and Southwest
started serving BOS. BOS-TPA would be considered a point to point route and you usually do not see more then one airline in such a route, only possible seasonal.
Only majpor exceptions say JFK-LAX.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by BOS2LHR
I've been checking the schedule for this route, and it looks like it goes from two non-stop flights on April 5 to zero starting April 6. Even during the summer, Delta usually has one daily n/s.

I see that JetBlue is going strong on this route with at least two and sometimes four flights a day through summer. And Southwest has one early morning direct flight (one stop, no change).

I hope Delta isn't handing this route over to these competitors.
Where DL has NON Hub competition, they pull out.
B6 and WN are killing DL and AA out of BOS.
By DL and AA continuing to withdraw against B6 they have created a monster,
B6 is now has the largest NS route structure from BOS.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
One would have surmised that the combined numbers of DL and NW frequent flyers would have been enough to keep these point to point routes viable.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 3:03 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
BDL

DL still has the BDL-Florida non stops, even though Southwest as now added FLL from Hartford.

At last check - TPA, MCO, FLL, PBI and RSW(winter only) are still around.

As the previous poster has said, they have pulled out of non-hubs, but they seem to do ok in BDL.

Last edited by A4K; Feb 7, 2010 at 5:47 pm
Old Feb 7, 2010, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
they made a LOT of changes and cancellations to my PNRs, including a couple of cancellations out of MEM
Fares out of BOS can be pretty low to Fla. and they might not yield enough. Sad to see them go, but you can always route through ATL or DTW for a few extra miles
Old Feb 7, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by A4K
FLL-BOS nonstops on DL have been gone for awhile. Too much LCC competition.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by A4K
DL still has the BDL-FL non stops, even though Southwest as now added FLL from Hartford.

As the previous poster has said, they have pulled out of non-hubs, but they seem to do ok in BDL.
Yes, it is Saturday only service from FLL-BDL on WN.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 9:06 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by cfischer
they made a LOT of changes and cancellations to my PNRs, including a couple of cancellations out of MEM
No kidding!

Three of the four flights I booked for March have been updated. One leaves 10 minutes earlier, one leaves three hours later, and the third not only leaves an hour and a half later it was also switched from an A320 to a CR9.

The fourth is on AS metal
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
A key thing to remember about BOS-FLorida:

Leisure market.

This kind of thing is what LCCs do best. DL can probably use the metal to make more money on another route. For example, do to an internaional routing in March I'm on an MD 88 TPA -- BOS.. But that's a piece of metal that can probably make much more money on another route. This is going to be even more true as the DC9s go away.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.