Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The winds of change are beginning to blow at DL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The winds of change are beginning to blow at DL?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by motytrah
Why would there be? Anderson was the former NW CEO, they were going to use the NW IT platforms, and take the "best parts of each" loyalty program. As a customer going into this the worst case was DL was a bit bloated in the Elite ranks because of all the DQM promos that NW never had. On paper the NW Elites should have been the least affected customer base in the history of modern airline mergers.

People really didn't get an idea of what was really going to happen until well after the merger closed.
Like around Dec., 2009, when they started running the list of NW PE benefits through the office shredder.

Using the LUT fiasco as the precendent, DL does eventually respond to large shifts away from Delta in its FF population, but that one took about 3 years to turn around. This one is just starting to go public; the clock is barely ticking. My guess is that by 2014 they might actually be back with a decent program. Delta must also address its serious quality issues such as complaint levels & lost baggage.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:12 am

Great post from redtailshark...

One thing I'd like to add is that the higher ups at Delta should try a little honesty and transparency...

If someone in management ACKNOWLEDGED the problems and presented a plan and timeline to solve the issues that would go a long way to convince people to wait before deciding to leave or not....
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:02 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by Burj
Great post from redtailshark...

One thing I'd like to add is that the higher ups at Delta should try a little honesty and transparency...

If someone in management ACKNOWLEDGED the problems and presented a plan and timeline to solve the issues that would go a long way to convince people to wait before deciding to leave or not....
+1
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: Delta PM, USAir SM, Starwood SPG, AVIS President's Club
In DCA the choice is between Delta and US -- I'll fly whichever has the best combination of price and schedule, with Delta getting an edge after that 'charge-for-water' fiasco at USAir and the perks offered by my Delta Reserve card.

But what I find amazing is the difference in ease and certainty award redemption. Go to US, search for a flight and you'll see with absolute certainty the flights that are available at promised redemption levels. Look at a flexible calendar, pick your dates for low availability, and voila! -- there they are on the next screen, at promised low redemption levels.

With Delta, it is more like a lottery -- maybe you win, maybe you lose, and in either case the odds of finding a low award are slim at best.

Not a new issue, but come on Delta -- if US can do it, why can't you?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Overall, I have no argument with the OP's position.

I like the DL hard product, the route map works for me, and the employees are usually pretty good. I do intend to give CO a try, just to test the waters....

That being said, I always have much more respect for a company or individual when they admit they have problems and make a genuine attempt to correct them. If DL would simply admit that the award calendar is arguably the single most deceptive/useless piece of code ever written, my perception of DL would improve. However, this constant, never-ending Best-in-Class manure that aparently Jeff is contractually required to spew in every other sentence is tiresome. Admit there are problems, and correct them. Simple as that.

I will say the new SP products looks nice.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: NWA Tears
RTS, great post! Previously I've been about 80% NW/KL year after year after year. Last year that was down to 70% and this year it's looking like it'l be about 50% DL/KL/AF. Layered on top though is that we're flying less simply because dealing with delta.com, SM issues, and no longer getting Chisholm folks for CS has made dealing with flying angering and distasteful. DL's planes and FA's are fine (I think I actually like DL's FA's over NW's) but if you can't book flights because of website & SM's issues then what good do the planes and FA's do? And if, with no change in status, your upgrade % drops to half what it was?

I'm hoping someone steps in to fill the empty shoes left by NWA.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Overall, I have no argument with the OP's position.

I like the DL hard product, the route map works for me, and the employees are usually pretty good. I do intend to give CO a try, just to test the waters....

That being said, I always have much more respect for a company or individual when they admit they have problems and make a genuine attempt to correct them. If DL would simply admit that the award calendar is arguably the single most deceptive/useless piece of code ever written, my perception of DL would improve. However, this constant, never-ending Best-in-Class manure that aparently Jeff is contractually required to spew in every other sentence is tiresome. Admit there are problems, and correct them. Simple as that.

I will say the new SP products looks nice.
+1 Everybody messes things up once in a while. The good companies admit it, fix it and move on. The bad ones just act like nothing is wrong. DL still has a chance with many of us, but it won't last forever.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: AA - PP
Part of me, as a lowly silver, wouldn't mind seeing some a decent level of defection since DL's Medallion base is so top heavy and over populated. However, given Delta's current M.O. when it comes to operations, I fear that such an exodus would only cause them to reduce benefits even further to compensate on the bottom line. They don't seem to get the idea of trying to earn and keep customers. Just making that number on the bottom line look prettier.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Great post RTS. First post of yours in a long time that I have actually agreed with and didnt consider mud slinging. Keep this up.

Originally Posted by mikelevitt
Having gotten that out of the way, let me be the first to welcome the flood of DL shills and apologists who will post here telling you that you are insane, and that your post is ridiculous and that you are making it all up and still in love with your "dirty little airline."

Somehow they show up on every thread where an NWA flyer comments on Delta.....
I thought we had gotten past the name calling and disparaging comments about posters but you obviously didnt get that memo.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:27 am

I think fixing the award calender so that you feel the company is at least being honest with you (instead of the current either a) burn miles for way too high a redemption level or b) just give up and not use them) would go a long way in soothing the SkyMiles community. Right now you feel like the company is being intentionally dishonest about this part.....and well beyond the typical "yes I realize a company exists to make money" level.

That and the insane ramp up of M fares on TATL flights lately has me greatly concerned.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
As a former NW Platinum (for several years), I have shifted my flying back to UA. I have always felt that NW's soft product in-flight was garbage, and do appreciate some of the things that DL has brought. I've always thought that the plat line agents were usually phenomenal, often surprising me by doing things that I'm sure broke the rules.

However, with how DL is running the show on the backside, the fact that my remaining SkyMiles are practically worthless now (especially now as a non-elite member) and the way that I am handles as a general member now have outweighed the convenience that I appreciated of being able to fly nonstop out of DTW to connecting in ORD on UA.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
More likely you are feelling the the hot exhaust from the Delta Revenue Management bus pulling off into the distance vice 'winds of change'.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Delta must also address its serious quality issues such as complaint levels & lost baggage.
I'd say this before anything.

Most flyers don't care about loyalty programs, but these are issues everyone cares about and must be addresses in serious, productive ways or you stand to lose a greater majority of customers and not just a few Flyertalkers.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Excellent post, I fly Skyteam when there are no other options. Make SWUs competive like CO or even like UA which is a little more restrictive than CO WRT fare class. You will loose most of your 2nd best customers like me who fly a lot of int'l and are looking for upgrades.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
Excellent post, I fly Skyteam when there are no other options. Make SWUs competive like CO or even like UA which is a little more restrictive than CO WRT fare class. You will loose most of your 2nd best customers like me who fly a lot of int'l and are looking for upgrades.
When did CO introduce these new SWU's? Just something to consider.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.