Wiki Posts
Search

"Elite Heavy" Routes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
"Elite Heavy" Routes

As a fairly new medallion member, I have been a little frustrated at the number of people ahead of me on the upgrade list thusfar but I understand that is part of the game.

Many of the routes I have been flying are probably considered "elite heavy". However, as a fairly new frequent traveler, I am generally unfamilar with the routes that are considered "elite heavy." I know most routes from hub to hub will generally fit this description but I was curious, what other routes fit the bill?

I did a search and didn't find any recent threads on this besides some passing references to various routes so I thought I'd open a new discussion to get them all in one place. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Well, given that you are a Silver Medallion and in a VERY large market (LAX), get used to being at the back of a long list.

Sorry, but it's just life.

And from LAX, the "elite heavy" routes are, as you would expect:

LAX-ATL (which I imagine is nearly impossible)
LAX-JFK (which is probably tough, but can be found now and then)

I bet those are the only two "elite heavy" routes from LAX. I don't imagine LAX-SLC is that tough. My wife was upgraded last year as a Silver on LAX-FLL and we're keeping our fingers crossed for upgrades (now as Golds...) on LAX-MCO next week.

Either way, welcome to Medallion status, enjoy the better seats (i.e. exit rows and/or bulkheads) and the priority boarding.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
This has been discussed a few times in the past year, but I tried to search for the threads and could only find this one: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rade-list.html

IME, it's not so much the routes as much as the timing of the flight. When I fly mid-afternoon, other than Thursday, an UG is almost a given. (Although I'm PM.) Monday mornings and Thursday afternoon/evening are difficult for UGs, even for PM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:51 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
LAX-JFK surprisingly isn't horrible. (It's not great, but certainly not as bad as e.g. SFO-DTW). LAX-DTW is also really bad, LAX-MSP not quite as bad.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Yea LAX-JFK is not bad AT ALL compared to LAX-ATL. In over 20 trips I have never missed a LAX-JFK upgrade on a L,U,T fare.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
I didn't mean to limit the discussion to just lax, as I am sure others might be curious as to what other routes are "heavy" . Any surprising routes?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:27 am

On certain days ATL-ORF (Norfolk, VA) can be a tough upgrade.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:33 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
MSP-DCA-MSP

Monday AM and Friday afternoon often 30 PM. I have been on flights with over 90% elite
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:54 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
ATL-TPA can be tough. ATL-LGA as well.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:02 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
DCA to MSP or ATL - plus the Shuttle to LGA at certain times of day.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 53flyer
On certain days ATL-ORF (Norfolk, VA) can be a tough upgrade.
especially the 5:45am flight on Mondays
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A couple of years ago, on a mid-day MSP-DCA flight as a Plat on a government Y fare, I was #18 on the gate upgrade list. I don't know how many Plats or elites were on board, but this is the worst I've personally experienced. I think it was a 320, but it could have been DC-9 50 series; either would have 16 FC seats. I don't remember the day of the week, probably Tuesday or Wednesday; I know it wasn't Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

I do this route every several times a year and this is the only time I haven't been upgraded--in fact, before the day of the flight. In the past, I've even been successful about half the time when I ask for companion upgrades at the gate because I see someone I know on my flight.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 20, 2010 at 5:45 am Reason: add details
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: DM , MM ,Natl-Exec Elite,HH diamond,SPG gold
never missed an upgrade 2009 (somewhere between 95-100 segs) except my last flight of the year, LGA-MSP,Monday night, flying on a B fare, late purchase and check in but there were 18 ahead of me. LGA tough for the 5 day upgrade but never been further than #2 on the wait list.
That was hard to believe that there were 18 plats ahead of me on B or Y.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Yes, it's definitely a timing thing. I hear alot about DCA-ATL and vice versa being a tough upgrade but I was gold last year and went 100% this route. The difference is (I believe) that when everyone is flying into DCA on Monday Mornings I'm leaving and then when everyone else is leaving DCA to go home, I'm flying into DCA.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
Msp<->bos/dca/iad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.