Wiki Posts
Search

Official: EP is Gone Feb 28, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/3MM//AA EXP
Official: EP is Gone Feb 28, 2010

I received a letter from Jeff Roberston today thanking me for being an Executive Partner, etc. In bold, he states "You will continue to receive the EP benefits until February 28, 2010, when our private elite tier will become public and be called Diamond Medallion." The VIP/EP phone reps really were not well informed as they continued to announce that EP was here to stay.

I know there has been a lot of speculation on this issue, and sadly for the few EP's out there, we have been marginalized. Back to buying L, U, T fares and save my full fare purchases for another team.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by NoCRJ
I received a letter from Jeff Roberston today thanking me for being an Executive Partner, etc. In bold, he states "You will continue to receive the EP benefits until February 28, 2010, when our private elite tier will become public and be called Diamond Medallion." The VIP/EP phone reps really were not well informed as they continued to announce that EP was here to stay.

I know there has been a lot of speculation on this issue, and sadly for the few EP's out there, we have been marginalized. Back to buying L, U, T fares and save my full fare purchases for another team.
From what I understood... EP didn't have any significant benefits over the new DM tier...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by NoCRJ

Honestly not a real surprise here. I know that many have said that EP will continue but for what? The benefits are almost identical and there is no way DL would manage 5 tiers. To bad for those that were in the club though...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by WBurcham
From what I understood... EP didn't have any significant benefits over the new DM tier...
Pretty much...in the last year, it was pretty much like DM...not surprising since the requal requirement for EP was 125K MQMs anyway...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
EP was (at least in the past year) clearly a set-up for a DM launch. The benefits are almost 1 for 1 the same.

Makes sense in some ways, however DL should continue to find a way of honoring revenue based flying.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Why not make all Diamond's in waiting Executive Partners until March 1, 2010.

Since the benefits are almost the same, for the next 50 days, I think Delta should consider immediately bumping up all the Diamond's in waiting to Executive Partner to encourage us elite fliers to immediately book travel with Delta from now until March 1st, 2010. As a current Delta Platinum Medallion earning only 75% upgrades in 2010, I am reluctant to book any further revenue travel with Delta until my Diamond Medallion (or Executive Partner) equivalent benefits are activated.

After upgrade, we could print out our cards with our new status on the www.delta.com web site.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
Originally Posted by ceieoc
Since the benefits are almost the same, for the next 50 days, I think Delta should consider immediately bumping up all the Diamond's in waiting to Executive Partner to encourage us elite fliers to immediately book travel with Delta from now until March 1st, 2010. As a current Delta Platinum Medallion earning only 75% upgrades in 2010, I am reluctant to book any further revenue travel with Delta until my Diamond Medallion (or Executive Partner) equivalent benefits are activated.

After upgrade, we could print out our cards with our new status on the www.delta.com web site.
Or honor those who earned EP status via the original intent (revenue vs. total miles flown) and incentivize them to stay with DL.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
Thumbs up

I think Delta should consider immediately bumping up all the Diamond's in waiting to Executive Partner to encourage us elite fliers to immediately book travel with Delta from now until March 1st, 2010. As a current Delta Platinum Medallion earning only 75% upgrades in 2010, I am reluctant to book any further revenue travel with Delta until my Diamond Medallion (or Executive Partner) equivalent benefits are activated.
^^ Fully support, just yesterday was in 12D MSP->ATL... 7 of 40 on the upgrade list (Plat on a U fare)... after 165,000MQM in 2009 I'd appreciate a glass of wine...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Yes, even if it's only for six weeks in the interim.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:36 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!

Do you really think DL (or for that fact, even you yourself) will book away from DL just because you don't get the DM benefits until March 1? I seriously doubt it and I am sure DL does too. They know they have you over a barrel with your anticipated DM benefits. No need to rush it from their perspective.

Originally Posted by td_in_training
after 165,000MQM in 2009 I'd appreciate a glass of wine...
That is why DL gave you the drink coupons, for the times you don't get UG'd. It has been said that the coupons with the 12/31/09 expiration date are still being honored.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY
Or honor those who earned EP status via the original intent (revenue vs. total miles flown) and incentivize them to stay with DL.
Who's to say that DL won't? Just because EP is replaced by DM in no way prevents DL from granting DM status to "special" flyers at their whim.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fti
Do you really think DL (or for that fact, even you yourself) will book away from DL just because you don't get the DM benefits until March 1? I seriously doubt it and I am sure DL does too. They know they have you over a barrel with your anticipated DM benefits. No need to rush it from their perspective.
Actually I would answer yes for anyone who maintains status in more than one carrier or who is thinking about trying the competition. For DL, remember that revenue now is better than uncertain revenue several months later.

To repeat, if you've earned Diamond but you're not EP and/or DM, other things equal, it would normally be better to do your flying on other carriers now and return to DL after March 1.

Moreover, for most people in this situation who can control the scheduling of air travel, it would be better to postpone such travel on DL to after March 1. The same statement is true to a lesser extent every year because of the temporary increase in elites around this time of year.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 12, 2010 at 12:04 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL PM/EP, AAEXPLAT, BAGOLD/GuestList, UAPremExec
[QUOTE=DLGrkItalNY;13160321]EP was (at least in the past year) clearly a set-up for a DM launch. The benefits are almost 1 for 1 the same.

Ahh...no. Not even close. The benefits of EP lay in the exclusivity of the list. With very few EPs (there will be many DMs), the VIP line actually meant something. Case-in-point:

--I was once running late for an international flight (not my fault...my DL-Connection flt was cxld due to snow...I chartered a plane to get to FTY, nearby ATL).
--This was b4 International OCLI...
--Knew I'd make the terminal by 45 mins prior, but not by the 60 min cut-off
--Called the VIP line...with almost no prompting, the agent said "say no more"....put me on hold for 3 minutes, came back, and said "here's the cell-phone of XYZ, an agent in ATL...he has checked-you in and has your BP. Call him as you're approaching the airport. He'll meet you at the curb.

I'm guessing that won't happen as a DM.

And, with very few EPs, the UG priority actually meant something. Case-in-point: I Booked an H-class flight from PHL-ATL 50 Mins prior to departure....checked in 5 mins later....was #1 out of 22 on the UG list. Won't happen as a DM.

I spend $200-$300K per year on DL....I'm guessing that's 15-20X the average Platinum. When I need something from DL, it's not typically a "favor," it's usually that I need to help them help me spend more money.

The DM tier will have, I'm guessing, north of 20K members, most of whom will have "just" made it. Average revenue/member will be $20-$30K. DL's treatment of the tier will be commensurate with average revenue/member.

It's a big difference.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:47 pm

>>> That is why DL gave you the drink coupons, for the times you don't get UG'd. It has been said that the coupons with the 12/31/09 expiration date are still being honored <<<

Darn....I just tore up 5-600 of them. (...don't worry...I have plenty of the 2010 version)
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
[QUOTE=3534ad;13161339]
Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY
I spend $200-$300K per year on DL....I'm guessing that's 15-20X the average Platinum. When I need something from DL, it's not typically a "favor," it's usually that I need to help them help me spend more money
If you are spending $2-300k per year on yourself then you should be po'ed and I would not book another dime on DL for lumping me into the rest of the (40k BTW) DM's. However, if you are saying you are responsible for $200-300K then I got you beat. My company books $6-700k with DL. I probably only make up $30-50K on any given year but they book NW/DL directly because of me. I have never tried to get additional benefits from it or force them to use my AMEX etc but there is a big difference. My hat is off to you and if this is your own dime then, like I said, you should find an AL that will recognize that and reward you. I would point out that you could own a share of a Corp Jet (If you have a limited # of destinations) for that kind of cake.

Last edited by thezipper; Jan 11, 2010 at 7:05 pm Reason: clean up quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.